Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What're the absolute best clones/alternatives?

Curious to know.

Default Re: What're the absolute best clones/alternatives?

Clones and alternatives to what?!
    “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.” -Leo Tolstoy-

Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    2. Micallef Royal Vintage
    3. Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Lui
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    5. Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    7. Creed Bois du Portugal
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour
    10. Houbigant Bois Mystique

Quote Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
    Clones and alternatives to what?!
    To fragrances. Stuff like CDNIM to Aventus, and Insurrection ii Wild to Pure Havane.

Come on man, i know you want clones of fragrances but you need to be a bit more specific. There are literally hundreds of clones out there. Tell us what fragrance you are looking for and people might be able to help you out with a few clones and alternatives.
    “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.” -Leo Tolstoy-

Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    2. Micallef Royal Vintage
    3. Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Lui
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    5. Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    7. Creed Bois du Portugal
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour
    10. Houbigant Bois Mystique

Quote Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
    Come on man, i know you want clones of fragrances but you need to be a bit more specific. There are literally hundreds of clones out there. Tell us what fragrance you are looking for and people might be able to help you out with a few clones and alternatives.
    Ok, I'll make a small list:

A*Men

A*Men Pure Malt

A*Men Kryptomint

Sauvage

YSL La Nuit

Terre D'hermes

D&G The One (with better longevity)

Tom Ford Black Orchid

Ajmal Kuro is a very good Sauvage like fragrance. People I've shown it to liked it better than Sauvage EdT.

I don't know any good clone of La Nuit, which is on par with the original (at least the older formulations until 2015).

Instead of D&G The One you could pick Jazz Club by Maison Martin Margiela. It doesn't smell the same but goes into a similar direction. I personally like it much better than The One.

Some guys think, that Club de Nuit Intense Women by Armaf smells like . But it's nothing there quality wise, same as CDNIM to Aventus.

I'll be honest with you, I've picked up dozens of clones for dozens of frags...if I had just saved my money instead I could have easily purchased the original scents that I wanted. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's what I reccomend.
    Currently Rotating:

*Davidoff Cool Water Summer 2018
    *YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue

Just buy the originals. One reason I don't bother with clones because they're too much effort to find.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Just buy the originals. One reason I don't bother with clones because they're too much effort to find.
    He explained in the thread below that he has no source of income at the moment to buy the originals:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/470...flanker-clones
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
    I'll be honest with you, I've picked up dozens of clones for dozens of frags...if I had just saved my money instead I could have easily purchased the original scents that I wanted. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's what I reccomend.
    Very true!
    I'm glad that I just sampled some of those clone fragrances and haven't bought them.

In most cases, if they are really good - like f.e. Loewe Esencia EdP ("Aventus") - they are quite pricey so it doesn't make sense to purchase them unless you just want a different flavor of your favorite scent.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    He explained in the thread below that he has no source of income at the moment to buy the originals:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/470...flanker-clones
    If the budget is limited I would buy less bottles - only those which I really, really want - and only smaller decants of the very expensive ones.
    And if the budget is really limited, there are more important things to buy than fragrances (fe. food, clothes...).

However there are good fragrances out there which don't cost a lot of money - but they don't have to be clones of anything.

*warning* rant -

None. Don't buy into the YouTube hype. These "reviewers" who hype clones are doing it solely for a percentage of the sale. They don't smell nowhere near "90-95%" of the original. I guarantee you none of them wear that shit. Not to mention are a likely health hazard as you don't know what kind of chemical they contain.

My advice: none are worth the money or risk to your health.

The knockoffs from WalMart do an ok job....I think they're called scent imposters. Their Fierce clone smells VERY similar. As a former Fierce nut, I can tell the difference but they're close enough.

Classic Match makes several copies....Polo, Polo Black, Drakkar, Hugo Boss, and several others. Available at WalMart, Meijer, maybe CVS or Walgreens.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Maybe Ferrari Bright Neroli, if you really consider it as a clone of Neroli Portofino, is worth the money.
    It's of course a quality scent, to me it was too feminine so I gave it to my mother and she likes it a lot and got a lot of compliments for it.

And there are a bunch of nice fragrances from Lalique, which you don't cost a lot. But they are no clones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manitar View Post
    Ok, I'll make a small list:

A*Men

A*Men Pure Malt

A*Men Kryptomint

Sauvage

YSL La Nuit

Terre D'hermes

D&G The One (with better longevity)

Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Go on Ebay and look for clone oils. specifically look for a brand called Fragrances, Scents, and More. they make FANTASTIC clones. I have their La Nuit, which is a pretty complex frag to start with, and they cloned it perfectly, improved the performance tremendously. I layer this with La Nuit and it is amazing.

You may have to take some risks though, but most cost like 5-6 bucks shipped, which is a drop in the bucket in this hobby. For example I ordered another one of Tobacco Vanille from another company, it doesn't say the company name on there, I'd have to look through my history. Anyways, this one sucks! I also bought Creed Viking type from Serena's Bowtiq, and this one sucks too. But the same brand does an amazing Aventus oil. Viking is probably too complex to clone into an oil.

My only major gripe, is that the oils leave an oily sheen on skin that never really go away.. maybe hours and hours later, even when they have dried down, the oil layer kinda just sits on your skin. From an aesthetic point of view, it's not attractive. From a technical standpoint, it's great because this is why these oils retain top notes so long, they kinda just sit on your skin, and the fragrance oils sit on top of the carrier oil. If you accidentally rub your arm on something, you may lose everything though. It's sort of a delicate thing to wear clone oils on your skin, you need to be careful where you rub your skin, what hits your skin, your clothing, etc. But, in the long run, once you track down the good clones, you get an amazing buy for your money, that often times will exceed the performance of the original. It's something to consider.

This is the exact La Nuit oil I have (I have the 10 ml size)- https://www.ebay.com/itm/La-Nuit-De-...gTNosjX-QJ3h6A

Also, if you buy these, DO NOT try to decant them into sprayer decants. I mean you can, but 99% of the time it will clog the sprayer, as the liquid inside is too thick. If you do get it to spray, it will shoot a straight narrow stream, and will be impossible to get any proper distribution using sprays, without having to apply it yourself evenly with your fingers after. Just use the roll ons they supply you, trust me, in the face of these oils, they are what you need anyways.

Some other good clones that are not oils:

SMW: Al Rehab Silver
    AdG Profumo: Paris Hilton Just Me (this one actually came out long before)
    Tuscan Leather: Nabeel Arab Tradition
    Le Male: Cuba Gold
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Black Bold by Kenneth Cole

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

SMW: Al Rehab Silver
    Ajmal Silver Shade is an ok SMW clone, too.

Black Orchid: Ard Al Zaafaran 'Oud 24 hours' which is a very good fragrance and pretty similar to Black Orchid but more masculine and less truffle note.
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Maybe also certain vetiver and/or citrus fragrances like Yardley Citrus Wood, Zara Norrland, Ginepro Nero by l'Erbolario, Cuir Vetiver by Yves Rocher as not just better priced but occasionally at least equally complex alternatives to TDH by Hermes

a quarter million, tops

La Yuqawam clones Tuscan Leather

Belcam at walmart has varying amounts of success. I wore their adg clone for a lot of years when funds were tight. Their Sauvage, primitive man is not good. Their profumo, eh. Their cool water, blue depths is good. I might blow $50 some day and try some of their online only. Chemicals from little clone outfits skeeve me out a bit. I would not buy a clone of something when the original is like 20 bucks a la obsession and cool water.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Amber Essence by Ferrari

Not an actual clone, but Hommage a l'homme Voyageur by Lalique is very close to the now discontinued and ridiculous expensive Armani Attitude.

Buy clones for precious few scents that are begging for replication due to ridiculous pricing: Creed stuff comes to mind.

Otherwise, save up and buy discounted bottles, or decants. If budget is limited, you can still scent up, but maybe not through bottle acquisitions.
    Currently wearing: Portrayal Man by Amouage

Try copycat fragrances some are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A* Men = Cuba Prestige
    Sauvage = Primitive Man

Those are two that are "close enough for the average person"

Here is a list of what I think the best clones out there are:

A*Men - Cuba Prestige
    Silver Mountain Water - Armaf Derby Club House Blanche
    Green Irish Tweed - Armaf Tres Nuit
    Aventus - CDNI Man or Glenn Perri Unpredictable Adventure
    Individuel - Original Santal
    Michael Jordan Legend - New Haarlem or Rochas Man
    Drakkar Noir - Al Rehab Dakar
    Spicebomb - BHPC Blaze (seriously)
    Sauvage - Armaf Ventana
    BCD - Armaf Tag Him
    1 Million - Armaf Club de Nuit Man or Lomani AB Spirit Millionaire
    Chanel AHS Eau Extreme - Armaf De La Marque Brune
    JPG Le Male - Cuba Gold
    Fahrenheit - Usher VIP
    Paco Rabanne XS - Creed Himalaya
    Wear what you want and don't listen to people who tell you that you didn't spend enough.

My swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

a quarter million, tops

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    A* Men = Cuba Prestige
    Sauvage = Primitive Man

Those are two that are "close enough for the average person"
    I disagree about the Primitive Man. Ive used up a bottle of it. Ive also worn Sauvage EDT and EDP a bunch. Im positive there are good Sauvage clones out there, Hunter intense or something, i dont know. But the Belcam Primitive man smells like a completely different fragrance. PM has a powdery chalky feel. Sauvage is shower gel. Im not anti Belcam, some are pretty decent. That one though, bad.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Amber Essence by Ferrari

Banned

nevermind....I didn't read your thread before i answered
    Last edited by Buysblind; 31st October 2019 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I disagree about the Primitive Man. Ive used up a bottle of it. Ive also worn Sauvage EDT and EDP a bunch. Im positive there are good Sauvage clones out there, Hunter intense or something, i dont know. But the Belcam Primitive man smells like a completely different fragrance. PM has a powdery chalky feel. Sauvage is shower gel. Im not anti Belcam, some are pretty decent. That one though, bad.
    Try Armaf Ventana if you want a good Sauvage clone.
    Wear what you want and don't listen to people who tell you that you didn't spend enough.

My swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

The only "clone" or inspired fragrance I own is Tiziana Terenzi Orion. It's a dark, smoky batch of Aventus with phenomenal performance and a bit of an herbal touch. Also love Xerjoff Mefisto (Silver Mountain Water "clone") and Parfums de Marly Oajan (Hermes Ambre Narguile "clone"). In general, I far prefer buying the original to clones.

If I bought any clone it'd be for something from Roja, or something extremely exclusive like Xerjoff Italica. Even then, though, I'd much rather own the original.
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

Banned

Hey...

The BEST Terre d'Hermes clone is a very unknown fragrance called Mila Schone Uomo. It basically smells exactly like TdH. You can kind of tell that it's not quite as good, but it's a small quite...

It's really a great clone. Basenotes member 'david' brought it to light years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Hey...

The BEST Terre d'Hermes clone is a very unknown fragrance called Mila Schone Uomo. It basically smells exactly like TdH. You can kind of tell that it's not quite as good, but it's a small quite...

It's really a great clone. Basenotes member 'david' brought it to light years ago.
    I will have to check that out because I am a huge TDH fan. The best clone of TDH I’ve come across is Rasasi Fattan. It smells just like it but lasts longer! Not too many people know about that one