Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default How do you rate Aramis Devin?

I just wanted to have some feedback on it really, as I have to decide on one fragrance for my friend to bring from Canada, and I have liked so far what I've read in the reviews.

Just would be nice to have your personal impressions, thank you.
    Last edited by Joe Kilroy; 17th October 2019 at 06:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you rate Aramis Devin as a fragrance?

Its one of those quality, vintagey fragrances you would generally only buy once you have an extensive collection. It only calls out to me to wear maybe a couple of times a year but its always a great journey through the day when I do.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Only speaking for myself - very low.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

As a fragrance? What do you mean? As opposed to what? How else would someone rate it?

I love Devin it's one of favorite outta the Gentlemans Collection I rate 8/10, only reason why the performance could of been better in the current FORMULA, if u get the vintage I'm sure it be 10/10..it still has Oakmoss in it but of course with minimum cause if the restrictions..it's a nice earthy Fragrance I'm hunting down the vintage formula and back ups , im a huge Aramis fan

Devin (**** out of 5)

It's a solid 7/10 for me. I reach for it a decent amount in the fall.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SharptoothC View Post
    It's a solid 7/10 for me. I reach for it a decent amount in the fall.

Fall is the perfect time wear Devin , goes with season

Quote Originally Posted by Drjones152 View Post
    Fall is the perfect time wear Devin , goes with season
    Agreed. We are finally reaching our fall season this week. Tomorrow may well be a great day to pull it out for a SOTD.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: How do you rate Aramis Devin ?

Thanks, it might be too warm here for it, so will probably go with Havana for now. Thanks for the input.

Haha...."as a fragrance" indeed. Yes, it wasn't the brightest thing I have said,,,)))))

How else indeed would you rate it? As a vegetable? )))

Default Re: How do you rate Aramis Devin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    Thanks, it might be too warm here for it, so will probably go with Havana for now. Thanks for the input.

Haha...."as a fragrance" indeed. Yes, it wasn't the brightest thing I have said,,,)))))

How else indeed would you rate it? As a vegetable? )))
    HAVANA is also a beautiful scent

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: How do you rate Aramis Devin?

I had a bottle (current formulation), liked it but rarely wore it. To me the smell reminded me a little of the smell of freshly cut flower stems (so not the flowers, but the green smell of the stem). All in all a very elegant and nice fragrance to me. My wife didn't like it though, and with more than enough fragrances in my collection I decided to sell it off.

Havana to me is a whole different beast. It's just such a fantastic boozy tobacco fragrance. To my nose not really elegant, but just really vibrant and easy going. One of my favorite go-to's for laid back leisure time in summer (I wouldn't wear this to the office).

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    I had a bottle (current formulation), liked it but rarely wore it. To me the smell reminded me a little of the smell of freshly cut flower stems (so not the flowers, but the green smell of the stem). All in all a very elegant and nice fragrance to me. My wife didn't like it though, and with more than enough fragrances in my collection I decided to sell it off.
    This is a good description and pretty much my experience. At current prices, it’s a worthwhile scent if you enjoy this style, but it’s not something I would reach for often. I see in other threads you’re looking at purchasing Third Man. Have you considered Yatagan as well? To me, it’s in the same wheelhouse as Devin, but with an understated elegance. Again, still not something I’d reach for often, but it does what Devin does better.

I quite liked it at first, but the drydown is a little too mossy/syrupy and stuffy for me. I also have Yatagan and Phileas in my collection which are in the same ballpark but are much better fragrances imo.
    When the night takes on its own life, the tempo changes. Take along, languorous breath. Linger till dawn, keep your head in the stars. You're suspended in time.

It's well done but definitely old school ( very green and heavy on carnation ) One that I respect but don't wear that much.
    Last edited by Democritus; 19th October 2019 at 12:04 AM.

Personally speaking, among the better ones from its house and among the better classics that are available withing its price category

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    This is a good description and pretty much my experience. At current prices, it’s a worthwhile scent if you enjoy this style, but it’s not something I would reach for often. I see in other threads you’re looking at purchasing Third Man. Have you considered Yatagan as well? To me, it’s in the same wheelhouse as Devin, but with an understated elegance. Again, still not something I’d reach for often, but it does what Devin does better.
    Just ordered 3'rd Man. )) Yatagan and PuH a bit further down the line...))

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    It's well done but definitely old school ( very green and heavy on carnation ) One that I respect but don't wear that much.
    I don't get much carnation at all from this. It's more about the leather and pine.

I think it's a fantastic fragrance that caters to older gentleman, or a really confident and mature young man could pull this off. Really, anyone should wear what they like, with moderation in mind.

The value for what you're getting is quite good as Ken_Russel points out.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler