Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default do you like alternating complex/challenging with more mainstream fragrances?

I was watching the latest Wafts about Autumn frags, and they have some of my faves and likes such as Bogue Maai (love it), and Encens Chypre from Sultan Pasha (their first attar and they love it it seems as much as I do) and then after all these, Joe pulls out Giorgio Beverly Hills and they both say how much sometimes it is just nice to have something like that to wear.

So two questions:

1. Do you feel that it is sometimes a relief to have an old favorite, maybe a designer, that may not be highbrow or complex but you really really like and it's a nice break from complex and challenging, and if so

2. What is it that serves this purpose in your wardrobe.

My answers:

1. Yes sometimes I do

2. Dior Fahrenheit, Guerlain Cologne du 68, Habit Rouge, would be three that I like to reach for when I want something relaxing and not (to me) as challenging. They are each wonderful. But not crazy challenging.

What are your responses?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: do you like alternating complex/challenging with more mainstream fragrances?

1. Yes for sure.

2. O pour Homme, Sagamore, Balafre are three among others that I reach for when I am looking for the more subdued and less challenging.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: do you like alternating complex/challenging with more mainstream fragrances?

i only have perfumes that are considered to be "complex". there are times when all i want is a high quality vanilla, but vanilla being "simple" or used as a metaphor for being simple couldn't be any further from the truth! vanilla can be very complicated and malleable, much like roses

Basenotes Plus

Yes, of course. An intricately structured beautiful fragrance can be distracting as it demands attention. It’s something I indulge in when I’m alone with my thoughts and perhaps a book.

For other days when I’m out & about, easy-to-wear easy-to-please mainstream fragrances work better. It doesn’t necessarily have to be dull.
    A few of my current ‘go-to’s:-

Armani Eau Pour Homme (vintage)
    Ralph Lauren Polo (vintage)
    Loewe Esencia
    Xerjoff Oroville
    Floris 1962
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I was watching the latest Wafts about Autumn frags, and they have some of my faves and likes such as Bogue Maai (love it), and Encens Chypre from Sultan Pasha (their first attar and they love it it seems as much as I do) and then after all these, Joe pulls out Giorgio Beverly Hills and they both say how much sometimes it is just nice to have something like that to wear.

So two questions:

1. Do you feel that it is sometimes a relief to have an old favorite, maybe a designer, that may not be highbrow or complex but you really really like and it's a nice break from complex and challenging, and if so

My answers:

1. Yes sometimes I do

2. Dior Fahrenheit, Guerlain Cologne du 68, Habit Rouge, would be three that I like to reach for when I want something relaxing and not (to me) as challenging. They are each wonderful. But not crazy challenging.

What are your responses?
    1) Because I work outside and among the public often, I actually wear more safe fragrances than challenging, which is why my collection (even the vintages) skew into fougères, green aromatic things, citrus chypres, and dapper leathers. Granted, I love a blast of Kouros, an old civet perfume, or an oud as much as many hardcore niche guys do, I just can't pull them off regularly.

2) My most worns are typically my evening "relaxing" wears, like Avon Black Suede and Azzaro Pour Homme, while outside that, it's the fougères like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Eternity for Men, and other "tried and true" scents that become my no-brainer pics. I save the virile 80's powerhouses and old femmes for the weekends mostly.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

Sure. Even the niches I wear regularly don't tend to be overly complex or challenging. I reserve my challenging/complex scents usually for fall and winter. I'm a sucker for freshies and there just isn't much in the way of complex fresh-smelling scents.

I work around a lot of people, generally in close quarters. Very bad idea to have a real deep stank. Simple, fresh frags always work.
    Currently Rotating:

*Davidoff Cool Water Summer 2018
    *YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue

I feel most at home in my own skin wearing relatively simple scents. I enjoy them, and they fit my personality and my work routine, as I consistently work with a widely varied variety of people throughout the week. I actually prefer scents that sit a little close to the skin and don't scream my arrival. I usually reserve more challenging scents for days when I am studying/alone for my own pleasure.

Some scents that serve this purpose for me:

Encre Noir
    MontBlanc Starwalker
    Mugler Cologne
    Terre D'Hermes
    Banana Republic Linen Vetiver
    Caron Pour Un Homme
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cologne

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I don’t do a whole lot of interfacing (I work at home), so there’s not much occasion-enforced gear-switching for me, but I like changing things up based on mood—or, lately, curiosity. And, yeah, after a day in a “challenging” frag, something more easy-going makes a nice break. I imagine it’s like a heels-to-flats transition.

Basenotes Plus

1. Do you feel that it is sometimes a relief to have an old favorite, maybe a designer, that may not be highbrow or complex but you really really like and it's a nice break from complex and challenging
    Sure I do, but I think you have the ratios reversed. It's more like the complex/challenging ones provide a break from the old favorites. Just like I don't want Szechuan pepper or habanero chiles in every dish of food I eat, and more often rely on plain old salt.

There might be people who want to spend 24/7 in the Areej Le Dores and Slumberhouses of the world. It would exhaust me, though.

What is it that serves this purpose in your wardrobe
    Too many to list, but a good example would be vintage Eau Sauvage.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    And, yeah, after a day in a “challenging” frag, something more easy-going makes a nice break. I imagine it’s like a heels-to-flats transition.
    Except that a challenging perfume won't ruin your hips.

[QUOTE=Cook.bot;4741067
    There might be people who want to spend 24/7 in the Areej Le Dores and Slumberhouses of the world. [/QUOTE]

That would be me
    Currently wearing: Oud Assam by Rania J

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

There might be people who want to spend 24/7 in the Areej Le Dores and Slumberhouses of the world. It would exhaust me, though.
    totally understand!

1. Yes, absolutely - there are a number of scents that I have in my wardrobe which are very lowbrow and I own them largely because they are evocative of particular people or times in my life.

2. Based on what I said in (1). . .
    Charlie Red by Revlon - the first perfume I got to pick out completely by myself. At 13, my grandmother gave me, I think, $20 and let me loose in our local pharmacy. I smelled everything in my price bracket and chose this. I recently picked up another bottle for about £3 on sale at my local boots purely for the smile it gives me.)

Dazzling Gold by Estee Lauder - now discontinued as far as I can tell, but my dad (now deceased who was a great lover of put a bottle of this in my stocking for my 16th birthday. I'm still hording the tiniest bit from that original bottle.

Yardley's English Lavender - I bought this in a shop on my first trip to the UK in 2002. I love lavender and wanted something that felt "English" and light for wearing in the summer.

Almost anything by Demeter - these are inexpensive, silly fragrances that are good for just a quick spritz of something fun and light that won't linger too long. I'll often wear these during the day on the weekend when I'm planning something more serious/intense for the evening.
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone
    Currently wearing: Autumn 19 by Ffern

What you are describing and asking about is a well known phenomenon but mostly folks who pay attention to their sense of smell, actually realize they are doing it.
    The way you want to cleanse the palate after a rich meal with something light and simple (a sorbet after spicy food), wanting to watch a comedy cinema after a war movie, or seeking silence after attending a grand opera... all these point towards clearing the chaos of emotion in one sense and soothing it into simpler lines.

Olfactory sense also has far more intricate and deep emotional attachments, thus when one is wanting a break from something complex, it is seeking simpler or rather comforting scents, and soliflores, lavender and citrus scents tend to do the trick.
    Also linearity is consoling in the simplicity of notes, unlike a 3-tiered chypre.
    At times, it is only the dry down you want while deliberately ignore the top notes (one's mind chanting, begone, begone)

Most such scents are also a dose of Morpheus (sleep) to me.
    Trish McEvoy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk (imagine!)
    Penhaligon's Lavandula
    Apree L'Ondee
    And most recently, a cleansing vetiver, Nuit de Megeve.
    Alpona is the only complex scent which adopts a background tonality (for me), instead of being intrusive.
    And a real orris root heavy scent is always welcome, Irisss is a delight whenever, wherever.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

I mix it up all the time. Been doing this, since I discovered "niche". I never give it or gave it, a second thought.

I have far too many scents to give examples.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

Yes, I do it all the time. I like to wear my lighter (or more office-friendly) fragrances in the daytime and wind down with a heavier, more complex scent at night.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by MrPod View Post
    That would be me
    And me.

If I didn't do this anyway because of working with people, usually involving physical exertion, I likely would for a change/contrast.
    So yeh, easy-wears, not too challenging or projecting.
    Since I often work evenings, my SOTD could be more interesting provided it is wearing off by evening; then a milder SOTE or no further application of SOTD for work; then a different SOTN, but aimed at relaxation and sleep.

Examples :
    Penhaligon's : Elixir and Juniper Sling. Blenheim Bouquet when I had it.
    Guerlain Vetiver,
    Etro Palais Jamais
    Aramis Tuscany
    Prada Infusion d'Iris

I like to wear more interesting frags, or those I know less well, in the evenings or days I work at home.
    November rotation - incense and smoke : Penhaligon's Elixir; CdG Avignon, Zagorsk; Piguet Casbah; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Etro Shaal Nur, Messe de Minuit; Odin 07 Tanoke; Unum LAVS, Io Non Ho Mani; Heeley Cardinal, Eau Sacree; Anatole Lebreton Grimoire; Tom Daxon Resin Sacra; Tauer Incense Extreme
    Currently wearing: Eau Sacrée by Heeley