Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Did you ever blind-buy Heritage de Guerlain, and did it fall short, meet, or exceed expectations?

Interesting to know who blind-bought it, and whether you were satisfied?

Thanks.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Did you ever blind-buy Heritage de Guerlain, and did it fall short, meet, or exceed expectations

Blind bought it back in the early 90s and was very satisfied.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Did you ever blind-buy Heritage de Guerlain, and did it fall short, meet, or exceed expectations

I did. Really like it.

Yes, and I loved it.

I do think it might be a tough wear for you on humid and hot days. It's a bit rich for humid heat.

Yes, and it went beyond my expectations. I loved it.

a quarter million, tops

I sampled first, but ultimately bought. I'm wearing it today, and it is great stuff. New wood cap edt. I'm over 8 hours after application and I can still smell it, 5 sprays.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

I can’t imagine anyone not liking Heritage. But yes, it can be a bit much on hot & humid days... That’s why I sold my vintage bottle though now I wish I hadn’t.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Sampled the EdT and EdP quite extensively before buying, and decided to go for the EdP in the end.
    Before I knew it I had regrets, swapped my EdP for Eau Sauvage EdP and bought the EdT instead. Now I'm extremely happy with my EdT and on many days I feel this is top 5 stuff. It IS classic Guerlain (with the Guerlinade base) though, so I also wouldn't wear it if it is really hot and humid. For me it shines most on sunny fall and spring days that are around 20 degrees.

Basenotes Plus

Blind bought, enjoyed it it takes a bit to understand because it is a lot different than what one is used to smelling with today’s trends.

Edp vast exceeded expectations. The drydown is gorgeous

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I'm shocked - shocked to hear about all this blind buying on Basenotes.

Sillage Monster

About two weeks ago, I sniffed Heritage EDP at the store and immediately purchased it. I’ve worn it almost every day since then. I find it soul satisfying, which is my highest compliment.
    Note to self: Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.

Thanks, great replies. I ask because I ...well, I know that Habit Rouge is an icon here and I found that sweet and cloying, smelled to my untrained nose much like an old ladies handbag. I am hoping that Heritage is ...well...different...with a more " masculine" profile. Not that I don't have a feminine side, and not that I couldn't appreciate Habit Rouge if I tried it now, but am I right to think that Heritage is a totally different animal ?

I don't like Habit Rouge. I adore Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    It IS classic Guerlain (with the Guerlinade base) though, so I also wouldn't wear it if it is really hot and humid. For me it shines most on sunny fall and spring days that are around 20 degrees.
    As in your other recent thread on Devin, I’m in agreement with Sisyphus here.

To go further, I think whether or not you love Heritage will depend on your feelings on the house’s “guerlainade” base. Personally, I like it but don’t love it. It’s a nice smell, but I feel like it makes many of the house’s scents too “same-y”.

I can’t answer your specific question because I sampled first, but I don’t think it would be a bad blind buy. Personally, though, I prefer Caron’s Third Man for a nice spring/autumn gentleman’s scent. I find Heritage (edt) nice, but Third Man much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    As in your other recent thread on Devin, I’m in agreement with Sisyphus here.

To go further, I think whether or not you love Heritage will depend on your feelings on the house’s “guerlainade” base. Personally, I like it but don’t love it. It’s a nice smell, but I feel like it makes many of the house’s scents too “same-y”.

I can’t answer your specific question because I sampled first, but I don’t think it would be a bad blind buy. Personally, though, I prefer Caron’s Third Man for a nice spring/autumn gentleman’s scent. I find Heritage (edt) nice, but Third Man much more interesting.

Your post was timely, to say the least. ( As I was feeling similar things and now have the choice between good value bottles of around 5 scents, including the two you mentioned, and while I do want Heritage to be part of my growing collection, I now feel, that for where I live and in my current mood, and based on what people have written here, that Third Man would perhaps be the one (as he can only bring one) which I should order... I have ( I hope) my whole life ahead of me for the rest, and it isn't often I see 3rd man in a 125 ml bottle, usually smaller, so I think I will go for it...

I blind bought both EDT and EDP, and prefer the EDT. It definitely exceeded my expectations. The EDP gets a bit animalic on my skin in the beginning, but does dry down to about the same as the EDT, so I've kept it anyway.
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I don't like Habit Rouge. I adore Heritage.
    Same. HR smells like death. Edp heritage is gorgeous once you get past the first 10-15 min

I blind bought it several years ago and it was instant love, so it worked out well for me

Blind bought the EDP, and sold it the next day. I found it harsh, animalic and dated.
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa

a quarter million, tops

I dont think the question is to Heritage or not to Heritage. You definitely Heritage. Really, gold cap edt, silver cap edp, or current widely available and fresh is what you should be asking yourself. Did i read it was between this and 3rd Man? Whoa. Heavy. Two top 10 frags for me. Im gonna say 3rd man cuz you said its hot.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    Blind bought the EDP, and sold it the next day. I found it harsh, animalic and dated.
    I don't really enjoy the thicker, heavier EDP all that much. I like the note separation in the EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I dont think the question is to Heritage or not to Heritage. You definitely Heritage. Really, gold cap edt, silver cap edp, or current widely available and fresh is what you should be asking yourself. Did i read it was between this and 3rd Man? Whoa. Heavy. Two top 10 frags for me. Im gonna say 3rd man cuz you said its hot.
    This is another reason to just pick Third Man. How do you decide which version of Heritage (edp, edt, vintage, etc.)? I assume sampling isn't feasible, but if you decide on Heritage, I'd say sample first (even though I think it's a relatively safe blind buy).

Basenotes Plus

Heritage is a classic no doubt. And stellar performance. I’m talking about the vintage gold capped EDT as that is what I have. But I do think it is a bit dated, and to me is really only suited to cooler weather. It’s aromatic, spicy, powdery and ambery with patchouli. It’s very complex and very well blended and I agree it is a masterpiece. But I don’t reach for it often.

I also did blind buy my Heritage. I don’t regret it, and I’m glad to have it in my collection as it’s a classic. But like I said I rarely wear it. You might get more wear from The Third Man, and it’s also a classic.
    Currently wearing: Norne by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    Thanks, great replies. I ask because I ...well, I know that Habit Rouge is an icon here and I found that sweet and cloying, smelled to my untrained nose much like an old ladies handbag. I am hoping that Heritage is ...well...different...with a more " masculine" profile. Not that I don't have a feminine side, and not that I couldn't appreciate Habit Rouge if I tried it now, but am I right to think that Heritage is a totally different animal ?
    Yes, Heritage is more masculine. I would think twice before wearing Habit Rouge for the same reasons you posted, but there is a clear overlap with the guerlinade DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I don't really enjoy the thicker, heavier EDP all that much. I like the note separation in the EDT.
    I've heard the EDT was slightly lighter but if it's anything similar to the EDP, I still probably wouldn't own it. Luckily it sold like the wind.
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa

I blind bought the EdP version and I was very pleased

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    I've heard the EDT was slightly lighter but if it's anything similar to the EDP, I still probably wouldn't own it. Luckily it sold like the wind.
    Yeah, it's similar. The EDT just isn't stodgy or animalic.

Basenotes Plus

Unless you hate spices, patchouli, sandalwood, and vanilla (okay, fair, some people can't deal with these), it's hard to imagine not at least appreciating Heritage, if not falling for it. It's got pretty strong character (for me, that patchouli is bolstered into quite a blast), so I have to be in the mood for it, but when I am it's really, really satisfying. I have both the vintage gold-capped EDT and a new wood-cap bottle of the EDT.

I didn't blind buy Heritage, but I was blind gifted the EDT. Can't say I like it, but I do appreciate it - some days more, some days less. Not a fan of the opening, but the drydown is nice. I feel like it's a quintessential late 80s - early 90s masculine fragrance and it just doesn't excite me much.