Code of Conduct

Thread: Bisabolene help

o

Default Bisabolene help

Hi Iím after opoponax essential oil, but canít find anywhere in the uk that does it. So on pell wall I searched for opoponax and a result came in with Bisabolene,

Can anyone help if the 2 smell similar? I donít want to have to buy from Europe and pay more if Bisabolene is close enough?

Better still is there any Uk perfumers willing to sell some
    opoponax?

Thanks!

Default Re: Bisabolene help

ApothecarysGarden is a site I use based in Canada but i believe he ships world wide(not sure about shipping cost) the store is on Etsy. I have seen opoponax on there although I have only purchased hyrax tincture, sweet castoreum and skunk tincture and was very happy with the quality. He offers a nice selection of unique ingredients for sure.

[deleted because memory possibly wrong]

I will check tonight. I received bisabolene only recently.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 17th October 2019 at 05:52 PM.

I think theres definite similarities between the two. Bisaobelene is more gourmand than opoponax and more rounded. I can imagine adding a tiny bit of ambrarome (0.1% or less) with bisabolene would get closer to the smell of opoponax

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by amateurperfumer View Post
    I think theres definite similarities between the two. Bisaobelene is more gourmand than opoponax and more rounded. I can imagine adding a tiny bit of ambrarome (0.1% or less) with bisabolene would get closer to the smell of opoponax
    Hi, Amateur Perfumer, I think that you might have this a bit backwards.
    Bisabolene, as a single molecule, would not be more rounded than the natural of Opoponax.

I looked, but did not find Bisabolene, only Alpha Bisabolol, So I cannot offer a direct comparison to opoponax. But, Opoponax EO smells fairly similar to an excellent extraction of Myrrh.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I have both bisabolene and myrrh coeur, but have never had a sniff of opoponax.

Following on from Pauls comment that myrhh is similar to opoponax, bisabolene does have a strong "i just walked into a wood workshop" aroma way before you get to the myrrh type notes.

Is there a reason not to buy from this company? I thought they had a good reputation though I have not bought from them: https://www.oshadhi.co.uk/Opoponax-d...essential-oil/

Other than their prices overall being as per the British model... for many of their products it's probably less costly to buy from an overseas vendor with reasonable shipping or even unreasonable shipping. In this case for example if you wanted 30 mL, this would be $31 at Eden Botanicals while you would pay £92.94 for 30 mL at Oshadhi. The comparison is better if 5 mL vs 5 mL, but even there Oshadhi is about 50% pricier. Further, at EB you could get just 1 mL if you wanted just a little and could be out only $3, or even get it for free if you had other things in your order. This kind of price difference, typical between a British retailer and a price-competitive retailer, can make extra shipping cost more than worthwhile.

I checked EB's prices for shipping to the UK. Not everything can go first class mail, but for example opoponox eo can. $27 for this method, or $39 for DHL. Possibly more for big orders.

I don't think it would take a lot of eo's and/or absolutes with this kind of price difference to more than pay for that shipping.

Further, as you mention there are places in Europe. I'm not going to look past my first thought, but for example Hexapus while not having the eo does have the resin, which you can tincture yourself, 50 g for €6.00.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 17th October 2019 at 09:12 PM.

Once again you're 100% on point. Maybe I shouldn't try working off memory lol. I've just compared them side by side there are similarities. The bisabolene is missing the depth of the opoponax and there is a leathery facet missing from the bisabolene which is in the opoponax. There is a slight smoke note in the opoponax as well as an almost an underlying vetiver or heavy wood note. Of course the bisabolene does have a neroli or almost a citrus soda type note. I also detect a cumin note in the bisabolene after about 15mins on skin

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Hi, Amateur Perfumer, I think that you might have this a bit backwards.
    But, Opoponax EO smells fairly similar to an excellent extraction of Myrrh.
    I did not find it that close, and to me opoponax is somewhat more milky and more dry.

Maybe I don't have a excellent extraction of Myrrh or opoponax for that matter ...
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    ó Woody Allen

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    I did not find it that close, and to me opoponax is somewhat more milky and more dry.

Maybe I don't have a excellent extraction of Myrrh or opoponax for that matter ...
    So, I was trying to draw *some* comparison... Yes, they are of course different, but they are sister Commiphora species, so they do have similarities.
    As far as Myrrh goes, I have found it difficult to get a good Myrrh EO extraction. It's hard for me to imagine how varied all the bottles of Myrrh are that live in my Myrrh basket collection. After many years, I finally think I know what good myrrh is supposed to smell like now. There is a whole lot out there that is far far from the standard as I have learned it now.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Very interesting, thank you Paul.

One of my bigger mistakes, defining that as being what sets you in a big way long term, is that when starting out I bought a quite wide variety of essential oils all from Ananda Apothecary.

I'm not knocking this company: my experience was they're good and honest people who do business fairly and well. But they are not a company aiming to supply perfumers: they're an aromatherapy company which is not the same thing at all.

Only years after the fact did I realize that many essential oils I thought I knew what they smelled like and frankly was disappointed with, they didn't seem too workable for perfumes, actually are quite different and can be quite the ting when purchased from a supplier such as WLA, Liberty Natural, or John Steele.

Reason I mention that is myrrh is one of those that I totally gave up on and in this case, I am STILL going on what I "learned" from what actually, most likely, was a product unsuited to perfumery in the first place. When what one "learns" is wrong, this is worse than not knowing at all.