Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Givenchy Gentleman was my 1980's teenage scent - does it still have the magic ?

This is only for those who know what that magic was and just what a message of masculine confidence this fragrance conveyed.

I always felt that wearing it helped me to aspire to something, to be the best I could be. I usually fell short, but some scents are special like that,

as if symbols or icons of masculinity itself. Does it still have the magic, in its current formulation ? Do people who revere this scent like I did back then,

still buy it now in it's current form ?
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman was my 1980's teenage scent - does it still have the magic ?

The vintage and current formulations are different scents. The vintage had a very magical alluring drydown as you have alluded to. The current one is meant to appeal to a more modern and perhaps younger crowd. I personally don't recommend the current release but then it comes down to preference if you enjoy vintage or modern fragrances or both.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman was my 1980's teenage scent - does it still have the magic ?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The vintage and current formulations are different scents. The vintage had a very magical alluring drydown as you have alluded to. The current one is meant to appeal to a more modern and perhaps younger crowd. I personally don't recommend the current release but then it comes down to preference if you enjoy vintage or modern fragrances or both.
    This. In a nutshell.

I’m actually still kinda pissed they used a name as revered as this on a totally different fragrance.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

I would only get this one in its vintage form, but that's gotten quite expensive recently. A 100ml will set you back around $200.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Hindu Kush by Mancera

Banned

No.

Gave it ** (out of 5)
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Plus

I too had a teenage love affair with this Gem in the 70's. Working into the 80's I wore it in itineration as it's sharper edges softened mildly. By 1994 it had changed I to a facsimile lost into a sea of clean and leanness.
    A 70's sample would have you experience a slap of Civet and dose of fierce Patchouli rough that,'s drydown fathered that of 80's Giorgio for Men. In final it whispered an elegance later found in 1994 Pavarotti.

I don't dare to taste the latest.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    Do people who revere this scent like I did back then
    I did back then and relish my bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

a quarter million, tops

As long as you get a brown bottle (Givenchy Gentleman) and not a clear (Gentleman Givenchy) I'd think its still fine.

There are three Givenchy Gentleman bottle types to look for, wrap around sliver label is the oldest and most sought after. Silver and black cap is next oldest, solid black cap is the newest. There is some chatter on the quality of each version. Everybody likes the old one. I've only tried the older two. Id buy any of them if I found a good buy. I have a silver cap, and it is my go to for a little patchouli feels.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Blog Entries

Is Krizia Moods a good alternative?
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: The Aoud by Mancera

Does the current formulation "have the magic"? I would say no.

However, vintage bottles can still be found for a decent price, so that's a good thing.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

I don't know exactly why, but I understood there are currently three types of Givenchy Gentleman on the market.
    You have a new release in a black bottle (Gentleman Givenchy) that has nothing to do with the old Givenchy Gentlemen.
    Then you have have current formulations that can't compete with vintage (you see them around plenty on the discount shops).
    But besides these two, I understood there is now also a formulation that I hear some people speak quite positive about, and that is a current formulation of Givenchy Gentlemen Originale. I think the bottle looks almost exactly the same as the current formulation you don't want to have, but it has the addition of "originale" on the bottem.

I didn't test that one myself, but I'm very curious to try it. As being said, vintage Givenchy Gentleman is fantastic but not really cheap these days.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Personally I think Krizia Moods is at least just as good as Givenchy Gentleman, a bit bolder and more daring probably, but therefore less versatile (I wouldn't wear that one to the office)?

Moods is a good fragrance but is more based on tobacco leave-patchouli combo instead of the leather-patchouli combo the (vtg) Givenchy Gentleman has but they certainly do have some similarities!
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    As long as you get a brown bottle (Givenchy Gentleman) and not a clear (Gentleman Givenchy) I'd think its still fine.

There are three Givenchy Gentleman bottle types to look for, wrap around sliver label is the oldest and most sought after. Silver and black cap is next oldest, solid black cap is the newest. There is some chatter on the quality of each version. Everybody likes the old one. I've only tried the older two. Id buy any of them if I found a good buy. I have a silver cap, and it is my go to for a little patchouli feels.
    This!

I have used Givenchy Gentleman since the late 70s. The current Givenchy Gentleman, which i now have, and like a lot (not Gentleman Givenchy - different scent) is still quite good. Certainly not as mossy, with lighter patchouli and is more "vibrant".
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Does it still have the magic ?
    No, not to me, but still a lot better than most current designer releases.

As Sisyphus mentioned, I though there was a Givenchy Gentleman Originiale that was closer to the original release, not the clearish bottle that's out now, Gentleman Givenchy
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Basenotes Junkie

edited - too wordy. See below please.

Is the one at that link the good one?
    Last edited by Joe Kilroy; 18th October 2019 at 03:34 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

anyway, this is what's on my mind, for better or worse.....probably worse, huh ?

https://www.fragrancenet.com/cologne...man/edt#119121

by the way, check the 28 reviews, below the product. People who know this are saying good things about it. I would've expected lots of complaining if it was so bad now, but while slightly different, no complaints about that. ....seems these old dudes are still happy with their GG...
    hmmmm....confused...

anyway, this is what's on my mind, for better or worse.....probably worse, huh ?

by the way, check the 28 reviews, below the product. People who know this are saying good things about it. I would've expected lots of complaining if it was so bad now, but while slightly different, no complaints about that. ....seems these old dudes are still happy with their GG...
    hmmmm....confused...
    I would say the reviewers are confused as well, but just unaware of it. If it's a different fragrance but still smells good, then they probably wouldn't complain, if what people say is true that the new version is a different scent but with the same name, basically.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    No.
    +1.

Basenotes Junkie

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I would say the reviewers are confused as well, but just unaware of it. If it's a different fragrance but still smells good, then they probably wouldn't complain, if what people say is true that the new version is a different scent but with the same name, basically.
    No, what I understand is that there is one called "Gentleman Givenchy" which is black and has nothing to do with the original .

I am not talking about that one, I'm asking about current formulation of Givenchy Gentleman , which is ( I hope) at this link ?

wrong post
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    haha it's a very funny gif, but I believe this isn't the flanker, just a reformulation ? :-)

Basenotes Plus

haha it's a very funny gif, but I believe this isn't the flanker, just a reformulation ? :-)
    Yeah, modernised and turned into a mall scent. Grotesque, of course. I guess if you're younger and raised on this sort of dreck, and are into cinnamon it could be ok. But if you know what it's supposed to smell like it's depression in a bottle.
    Most worn:

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Yeah, modernised and turned into a mall scent. Grotesque, of course. I guess if you're younger and raised on this sort of dreck, and are into cinnamon it could be ok. But if you know what it's supposed to smell like it's depression in a bottle.
    I'm 51 and was weened on the original (vintage.) For every birthday I was given those mini-sets with soap in it, EDT and Deo. I loved it so much.

I appreciate you telling it like it is, thank you.

For those of us who remember the original , this is sad indeed. I wish these perfume houses would love and cherish their creations as much as those who wear them do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    I don't know exactly why, but I understood there are currently three types of Givenchy Gentleman on the market.
    You have a new release in a black bottle (Gentleman Givenchy) that has nothing to do with the old Givenchy Gentlemen.
    Then you have have current formulations that can't compete with vintage (you see them around plenty on the discount shops).
    But besides these two, I understood there is now also a formulation that I hear some people speak quite positive about, and that is a current formulation of Givenchy Gentlemen Originale. I think the bottle looks almost exactly the same as the current formulation you don't want to have, but it has the addition of "originale" on the bottem.
    This was my understanding as well, but I haven't smelled it to confirm. Someone posted a pretty detailed review thread of it, comparing it positively to the original. I'm sure it doesn't have ALL the magic of the vintage, but it sounds like possibly a step in the right direction.

P.S., that was one hell of a teenage scent!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This was my understanding as well, but I haven't smelled it either. Someone posted a pretty detailed review of it, comparing it postively to the original. I'm sure it doesn't have ALL the magic of the vintage, but it sounds like possibly a step in the right direction.
    sounds hopeful...thank you...!