Code of Conduct

Default questions about blending, dilution + evaluation of odours

hello everybody,

when blending a mixture, how can you actually evaluate the smell in the process of blending, knowing that the smell of the mixture will change quiet a bit after the maturation time?

do i have to make my mind up before i mix my formula together and wait 2 month for the evaluation, or is there a way of actually evaluating/composing in the process of blending?

also:
    i have bought some natural oils and while evaluating them seperately, i noticed how they differ in odour strength.
    clove bud absolute, holy basil or lavender absolute seem to be incredibly strong to my nose. yesterday i diluted them with ethanol to 20% and they still seem to smell quiet strongly. should i try to evaluate each smell and then dillute them accordingly? Of course i could just compensate for the strength of one oil by adding much more drops of another, but by doing so, i would lose a lot of my supply while experimenting. maybe it would be wiser to dillute all my oils to 20%?

great forum here + excited about your answers.

m

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: questions about blending, dilution + evaluation of odours

First, IF you dilute, pick a standard %. A bazillion odd different dilution percents eliminates your own previsualization skills to understand percentages, characteristics, and use parameters. sure, the extremely strong materials will likely require higher dilution.

Personally, I only dilute materials for handling ease, or because of extreme strength.

Stick with Dilution based on 10's, 10-20-50% etc. or 1%, 0.1%, 0.001% etc.

None of this: 6%, 11%, 17%, 21%, etc.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Default Re: questions about blending, dilution + evaluation of odours

Quote Originally Posted by modulor View Post
    hello everybody,

when blending a mixture, how can you actually evaluate the smell in the process of blending, knowing that the smell of the mixture will change quiet a bit after the maturation time?

do i have to make my mind up before i mix my formula together and wait 2 month for the evaluation, or is there a way of actually evaluating/composing in the process of blending?

also:
    i have bought some natural oils and while evaluating them seperately, i noticed how they differ in odour strength.
    clove bud absolute, holy basil or lavender absolute seem to be incredibly strong to my nose. yesterday i diluted them with ethanol to 20% and they still seem to smell quiet strongly. should i try to evaluate each smell and then dillute them accordingly? Of course i could just compensate for the strength of one oil by adding much more drops of another, but by doing so, i would lose a lot of my supply while experimenting. maybe it would be wiser to dillute all my oils to 20%?

great forum here + excited about your answers.

m
    As a rule, the final aromatic compound becomes smoother, rounded after ripening time. When you are working on the creation of various parts of the fragrance (accords, bases) you do not need to wait two months to evaluate. You can evaluate your intermediates constantly and it is especially convenient to do this the day after assembly.