Code of Conduct
o

Default fragrance mixture solidity

Salute

1. After some simple basic rules of mixing essential oils with vodka and water, mixture fails to hold a wholeness, oil seperates from spirit, which is natural physical law. despite
    after few month mixture fragrance is pretty strong due spirit and oil reaction.
    How to achieve wholeness of mixture ?

thank you very much

Default Re: fragrance mixture solidity

Most of essential oils mix well with ethanol. Buy ethanol (not vodka) with the lowest percentage of water possible. Never add water to your aromatic mixture.

Basenotes Plus

If you use Vodka, the only acceptable Vodka is 190 proof, or 192 proof. Even 150 proof is not enough alcohol, and is too much water.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Member

I've tried to google it but wiki gives my 3 different answers. They say that 190 proof may contain 60%, 75.5% and 95% alcohol by volume. According to what I've learned the highest
    volume of alcohol is best. Is anyone using 60% and 75,5 % in their creations?

I have no idea what you're finding on google, but proof and percentage are simply a 2:1 ratio. 190 proof, by definition, is 95% ethanol. If it's 60% ethanol, then it's 120 proof.

There's no such thing as "190 proof that's 60% ethanol". That's like asking for a cup full of water that's half-empty - if it's full, then it's not half-empty. if it's 60% ethanol, then it's not 190 proof.

190 proof is the minimum; anything lower will have solubility problems (cf. the original post).

Quote Originally Posted by MiDDeN View Post
    I've tried to google it but wiki gives my 3 different answers. They say that 190 proof may contain 60%, 75.5% and 95% alcohol by volume.
    I think you just misinterpreted the Wiki info which says: grain alcohol (Everclear) "is bottled at 120, 151 and 190 U.S. proof -- 60%, 75.5% and 95% alcohol by volume, respectively. "

Respectively is the operative word which means: in listed order, which means: 120 proof is 60% alcohol, 151 proof is 75.5% alcohol and 190 proof is 95% alcohol.

Basenotes Member

Thanks! I missed that one word