Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Davidoff Cool Water - A question concerning its magic, lost or otherwise.

I don't think there is a more iconic scent from my teenage years than Cool Water, it was everywhere and while I never wore it, I tried it every time I ventured into a boutique for several sniffs of their wares.

Has Cool Water survived the massacre on our sacred scents of yesteryear? Or has it been buried and had soil shovelled on it, like Givenchy Gentleman ?

I won't buy it, unless it still has its magic...thanks.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Davidoff Cool Water - A question concerning its magic, lost or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post

Has Cool Water survived the massacre on our sacred scents of yesteryear? Or has it been buried and had soil shovelled on it, like Givenchy Gentleman ?
    I would tend to agree with the latter.
    Last edited by hednic; 19th October 2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sound Scents

Default Re: Davidoff Cool Water - A question concerning its magic, lost or otherwise.

Look for a bottle on eBay using cursive for the Davidoff Cool Water Logo and confirm the picture shown is what you will receive. There is plenty of the original magic left in those bottles, and while I haven’t checked in about 5 years, back then they were easy to find, and still relatively inexpensive on eBay.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Look for a bottle on eBay using cursive for the Davidoff Cool Water Logo and confirm the picture shown is what you will receive. There is plenty of the original magic left in those bottles, and while I haven’t checked in about 5 years, back then they were easy to find, and still relatively inexpensive on eBay.
    I shall.
    Thank you.

Cool Water has no magic left.

The manufacturer used bait and switch trickery to leave an empty shell that unknowing public still buy for £15 per bottle.

One of the worst ever casualties of the reformulation game.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren

I have yet to try the reformulated version as my bottle from 2009. with cursive name on it is a monster. I hope it's not that much ruined as some say.

My new bottle from this decade performs great and smells wonderful. I never had a vintage bottle though so why should I care about it being reformulated?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Cool Water has no magic left.

The manufacturer used bait and switch trickery to leave an empty shell that unknowing public still buy for £15 per bottle.

One of the worst ever casualties of the reformulation game.
    I agree! It was my one and only from around 93-99 and it was magic. Still to this day nothing can hold a candle to the amount of hugs and sniffs I got with it. Of course I was 23-29. I purchased two bottles the last 5 years and put them right back for sale. It wasn’t horrible but watered down. The “linger” was gone.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

I never tried the original but the scent I tried from about 2015 was unwearable to me. Possibly something to do with sensitivity to an ingredient or possibly just because i can't stand the smell.

Still got 125ml of cursive script font bottle which is excellent!
    New stuff is to be avoided imo!
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

a quarter million, tops

I have never done a side by side, but will someday. I've smelled the new version at a Kohls, it is synthetic and unpleasant, though it does register as Cool Water. Kind of a, "Man, I can't believe I used to like this." type of smell. I've since bought a few bottles from the 90s, they are pretty good.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Freed from BN Institution

I wasn't too pleased with the current formulation ~2009-10 back in 2011. If I were to consider Cool Water I would strive to get something as close to the original release as possible. A bottle from the 1990s at the bare minimum
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I don't think there is a more iconic scent from my teenage years than Cool Water, it was everywhere and while I never wore it, I tried it every time I ventured into a boutique for several sniffs of their wares.
    Cool Water was the only cologne I had in high school. There was definitely something about it that set it apart from the rest. I ended up disliking it though after smelling it too much. But this post reminded me of the "magic" it had. I need to get a bottle again.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I agree! It was my one and only from around 93-99 and it was magic. Still to this day nothing can hold a candle to the amount of hugs and sniffs I got with it. Of course I was 23-29. I purchased two bottles the last 5 years and put them right back for sale. It wasn’t horrible but watered down. The “linger” was gone.
    The hugs and sniffs might be more because of being 23-29 ? We all smelled better back then.

The hugs and sniffs might be more because of being 23-29 ? We all smelled better back then.
    We were all a little younger looking, care free and single
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

I use to wear this stuff in the mid to late 90's. Loved it. The new stuff still has the same basic smell but just cheaper smelling and more harsh. I'm sure the original stuff is much better quality but I still recognise the new stuff.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed