Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does your partner understand your addiction?

I've converted the last three men I've dated, hahah. I think it's easier to convert men to liking and caring about fragrances than a woman because I just have to tell them that they smell amazing and make me swoon and suddenly they're looking up bottles. Women do what they like.

No, shes CONSTANTLY harping, you're gonna get caught and go to jail, or, your gonna die, why do you keep doing that stuff, etc etc... oh wait. What addiction are we talking about??

My current and ex have both been very understanding.

1. They are good people
    2. They appreciated my passion for it
    3. I get them involved and value their opinion
    4. The knowledge by everyone that this hobby is funded by my hard work and salary and there are far more expensive hobbies

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    No, shes CONSTANTLY harping, you're gonna get caught and go to jail, or, your gonna die, why do you keep doing that stuff, etc etc... oh wait. What addiction are we talking about??
    I can’t remember either. Lol

Dependent

It's not an addiction, is a hobby, which is under control. My wife enjoys her very small collection too.

Basenotes Plus

Agreement is that my girl makes no comment as long as I don't comment on the purses.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Lust by Gorilla Perfume

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    Very interesting, I lived in Moscow for 10 years, it is where we met and like you I was involved in the art world there for the last few years, mainly helping to arrange an exhibition by the Young British Artists in Moscow, which I didn't stay long enough to see myself, but was involved mainly in the translation of the artists biographies etc.

I like your idea very much of a minimalist collection. I am trying to seduce my partner into this and she is enjoying the Serge Lutens Douce Amer I bought her a few weeks ago, though she says it reminds her of cinnamon buns, which I don't get personally. Yes, I'd like a Spartan collection of 10, and I think I know what will be in it.

Eau Sauvage
    Third Man
    Aramis Havana
    Aramis PH
    Zino Davidoff
    L'Instant
    Furyo
    Fendi Uomo
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    Battaniye by Pekji

A fine, balanced list.

Are these already in your collection? Or is this the list you strive to strip things down to? Regardless, your wife will surely enjoy growing to appreciate these ones. Myself, I love making note of what everyone here suggests.

Oh, and your Moscow story is fascinating. I hope I didn’t confuse you as you might have wondered about my age dealing with these artists. I was, in fact, relatively very young and the story about how I came to represent Soviet era social realism is an interesting one.

Cheerio!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

No, but she likes it!

Wow, look at all the Vancouverites!!

Good to see the brethren.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I think my collection is my partner at this point
    Not a bad partner to have at that.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

she never says anything negative and has yet to file for divorce over it, so I guess she accepts it.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Basenotes Plus

She understands completely and has a decent sized wardrobe of her own (currently around 50 bottles).

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post

We have no kids, but my cat thinks I'm nuts.
    But the cat poses with fragrances?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I'd have a hard time being with someone who didn't like perfume. My partner wears all kinds of stuff but mainly likes to smell like herself. I don't know if all French people smell so good, but she has a sweet musky smell that's more exhilarating than any perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    I've converted the last three men I've dated, hahah. I think it's easier to convert men to liking and caring about fragrances than a woman because I just have to tell them that they smell amazing and make me swoon and suddenly they're looking up bottles. Women do what they like.
    I'd like to think they've learned something new about themselves - got into a new hobby because of you
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

We have no kids, but my cat thinks I'm nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    But the cat poses with fragrances?
    Gin humors me because I have the keys to the Fancy Feast cabinet.
    Currently wearing: Borsalino by Borsalino

Gin humors me because I have the keys to the Fancy Feast cabinet.
    Ah yes he's powerless before the food.

Which one, exactly?

What addiction?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidsenses View Post
    A fine, balanced list.

Are these already in your collection? Or is this the list you strive to strip things down to? Regardless, your wife will surely enjoy growing to appreciate these ones. Myself, I love making note of what everyone here suggests.

Oh, and your Moscow story is fascinating. I hope I didn’t confuse you as you might have wondered about my age dealing with these artists. I was, in fact, relatively very young and the story about how I came to represent Soviet era social realism is an interesting one.

Cheerio!
    It did make you sound about 90 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    It's not an addiction, is a hobby, which is under control. My wife enjoys her very small collection too.
    It's a hobby for me as well, there was a time about two years ago when I maybe flirted with it being unhealthy. I now have a well loved and rounded collection and mostly enjoy what I have. I hunt for backups of loved scents mostly these days.
    As for my girlfriend of almost a year now, she understands and hasn't been the least bit critical. She however doesn't wear any perfumes save for essential oils and smells great. It's a blessing in disguise as if she did I would no doubt buy her a lot of bottles lol
    When we'd see each other at first i would stick to "safe" scents but lately I broke out the stinkers and she loves them too! She was very much into Kouros of the Ritz and Iquitos for example, has loved everything I wore (mostly vintage) and hates Sauvage.
    Currently wearing: Ma Liberté by Jean Patou

Thankfully it was never quite an addiction for me and the state of current releases plus the fact that the scents that were on my to buy list have now become extremely difficult to find at a reasonable price has meant I haven't bought anything in over a year.
    That was a long sentence !

Basenotes Junkie

" I hunt for backups of loved scents mostly these days."

This is the stage I want to get to. It's not realistic for me to build a collection of 1000 + scents. I want to have a small collection of loved ones and renew them as and when needed.

I find that when my partner wears her scent, I don't want to wear mine. I find they kind of crowd each other out a bit, so I'm happy just to smell hers.

Luckily she's wearing Lutens Douce Amere now, so I'm happy to smell that, and even wear it sometimes.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidsenses View Post
    A fine, balanced list.

Cheerio!
    the ones in bold are the ones I have. I want the rest.

strictly speaking, 3rd Man and Havana are coming with friend in a week.

Eau Sauvage
    Third Man
    Aramis Havana
    Aramis PH
    Zino Davidoff
    L'Instant
    Furyo
    Epic Man - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    Lyric Man- Amouage
    Last edited by Joe Kilroy; 20th October 2019 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post

Oddly or not, managed to somehow get here and/or achieve this not just with significant others, but also with further friends, relatives and/or acquaintances, also irrespective of gender (perhaps luckily by BN standards, but maybe not so much by non-BN standards).
    Admittedly, most of them already had a certain existing fragrance interest/hobby while perhaps just needing one final push, encouragement and/or advice in right (or possibly wrong) direction.
    Currently wearing: White Tag by Zara

Basenotes Plus

Yes!

Lucky me
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sometimes your partner is right if they don’t appreciate this “hobby”. Sometimes it can be an obsession and unhealthy especially financially to want every scent and not exercise restraint. Listen to your SOs and don’t just take it as “nagging”.

There are times I wanted a scent or bought many in a row and my lady said laughingly “cmon now you’re getting out of hand lately”. I don’t take that as offense and she says it with good tone and intent, essentially saying do as you please but it’s getting a bit silly. I respect that because I think those of us who buy so many bottles prob do have some obsessive component traits in our personality

I haven't had one yet, they find it ridiculous, a waste of money and "clutter" or some combination of that. I try to tell them about you guys and how much worse some of you are, but that doesn't help, at all. I fortunately have 3 friends who share my enthusiasm so that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    ridiculous, a waste of money and "clutter" or some combination of that
    Like any other good addiction. At least it's just clutter and doesn't seem to be particularly unhealthy and illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I haven't had one yet, they find it ridiculous, a waste of money and "clutter" or some combination of that. I try to tell them about you guys and how much worse some of you are, but that doesn't help, at all. I fortunately have 3 friends who share my enthusiasm so that helps.
    shame on you, for throwing some of us under the bus like that !
    Currently wearing: Individuel by Montblanc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast