Code of Conduct

Default Dry Leaves in the fall

Hello friends,
    Fall is finally here! For some, that may mean it's just a little cooler. But in MN, that means leaves are changing colors and are floating to the ground.

As I was walking today, I noticed the nostalgic smell of dry Leaves, a reminder of home that only comes for a few weeks of the year.

Might anybody know what aromatic molecules are responsible for the scent of dry Leaves in the fall?

Cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Happy Perfuming!
    Will

Default Re: Dry Leaves in the fall

The fragrance ‘Tea for 2’ to me had a dry leaf note. May have been the tea in it. Not sure how to get that type of scent.... more advanced will be able to help

Try Recrified Cade oil
    Stemone
    Verdoracine

And again tea wouldn't be far off the dryness

L'Artisan Tea for Two and Amouage Journey Man both kinda get there.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 20th October 2019 at 09:04 PM.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Not exactly what you asked, I know, but since you mentioned cooling weather, menthyl acetate in particular always makes me think "dry" for some reason.

That aside: TGSC has indices for both dry and leafy, if that helps!

Of the materials with which I am familiar for dry autumn leaves, I would take as a basis a Magnolan accord with Immortelle oil (absolute) plus a little of; Vetiver, Cedar materials, a shade of absolute tobacco (if necessary) a shade of pinene, etc... and least of all I see for this Stemon (green, fresh, fig leaf)

Quote Originally Posted by benjwi02 View Post
    Might anybody know what aromatic molecules are responsible for the scent of dry Leaves in the fall?
    What kind of dry (yellow/red/brown) leaves do you have there?
    Here we have now chestnut, maple, linden, ... with a very nice wet sweet aromatic scent in the damascenone direction.
    And I believe this scent is due to degradation products from leave material like carotenoids, thinking of dried tobacco leaves:
    Aroma properties of tobacco carotenoid derivatives reach from green-hay (safranal, β-cyclocitral), fruity (β-damascone and β-damascenone), sweet-floral (3-oxo-α-ionone), tea (theaspirone) to tobacco (oxo-edulan I and II, 4-oxo-β-ionone), and balsamic-violet-woody (α- and β-ionone).
    [Tobacco., Leffingwell, J.C., Leffingwell Reports, Vol.2 (6), October, 2002]

There is one work, but GC-MS and not GC-O, with compounds identified in volatile emission of English oak (Quercus robur), aspen (Populus tremula), poplar (Populus balsamifera), birch (Betula pendula) and willow (Salixsp.) litter:
    "Volatile organic compounds from leaves litter"
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12222793

Last week, the brown leaves in the woods reminded me of some compounds like oak lactone, tabanone, even sotolone.
    At one place, I thought "...thats a bit like Terre d'Hermes..." and at another, its more like Glycolierral.
    Glycolierral strongly reminds me of decaying butterbur (lat. Petasites) leaves.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by giftmischer View Post
    Glycolierral strongly reminds me of decaying butterbur (lat. Petasites) leaves.
    Well, that's interesting.... dont really know butternut, but I have the glycolierral...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Somewhat herbal-peppery, where poivrol dont has the distinct herbal twist.
    Petasites is growing along creeks; has big leaves; the smell is released only during decay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petasites_hybridus

Thanks for the responses everyone, really appreciate it!! I'll check out some of the above suggestions

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Happy Perfuming!
    Will

Yesterday I also walked through the park strewn with autumn foliage. In some places of the park, in the smell of fallen leaves, I also clearly felt the presence of rose materials such as damascones and beta-damascenone .. Very beautiful!