Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Would I like Yatagan ?

I am tempted to get this along with the Zino Davidoff.

Could they be called cousins of some kind?

I have over a hundred cousins in "real" life, most of them in Manchester.

However, I only have 4 fragrances in my current collection.

All of them in my bathroom.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Would I like Yatagan ?

Yatagan is very polarizing.

I love it. It was a blind buy. Then I bought some vintage which is amazing. But I like strong and odd things. It is considered challenging by many.

a quarter million, tops

Hm. It is not a updated fragrance. Do you like Polo or others from that era? It is not universally loved.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

It’s a very unique one. Like Kouros it evokes antiquity, but instead of the Mediterranean shores it conjures the brutal steppes marauders. It also smells like a freemason lodge in the Pacific Northwest. Basically old power. If that sounds appeal I think you’d dig it.

Basenotes Plus

I'm one of those who doesn't care for Yatagan, having bought the current version blind. (I didn't pay too much, and I felt up to the challenge.) I think it mostly comes down to how you feel about the celery seed extract note that not only dominates the opening but persists in the dry down. Some people love it, some scarcely notice it, some can't abide it. It's not a "good" or "bad" thing, but it is distinctive and divisive. I would never predict how someone else would feel about it based on my reaction. So, for someone who's cautious about their acquisitions, I would advise against a blind buy.

Zino Davidoff is, to my nose, a very different scent. I'm not crazy about that one, either, but I think it's a safer blind buy than Yatagan. I haven't yet identified what I find off-putting about Zino, but I think it's the rub of the rosewood and sage, or perhaps a more resinous than usual cedar note. Whatever it is, I appear to be in a small minority on that factor, and it's otherwise a perfectly good frag. It performs well, and it's complex enough to be intriguing without throwing tradition to the wind.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    I am tempted to get this along with the Zino Davidoff.
    You might find it challenging or not. Happen to personally love Yatagan.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Default Would I like Yatagan ?

Given your collection, I would bet money that you would like Yatagan. I'm not a Zino fan (gets cloying in the drydown), but love Yatagan.

Yatagan has nothing to do with Zino: the only scent that comes close is Éloge du Traître by État Libre d'Orange...

Yatagan is Caron's best fragrance for men, imo. So . . . . give it a try.
    late fall lineup: • eau de cologne imperiale • baie 19 • the noir 29 • o. durbano lapis lazuli • dear polly • cereus no. 11 • moth and rabbit • bvlgari man dark orient • madras cardamom • phuong dang artist • hermes osmanthe yunnan • boadicea the victorious imperial • olibanum profumum • fahrenheit parfum • dusita issara • papyrus oud/71 • pacific rock moss • sahraa oud • mfk oud extrait • baccarat rouge 540 extrait

Yatagan and Zino are not related. Both are pretty challeging fragrances and despised by many. I love both but prefer Zino at the moment...it has a nice dark and brooding quality to it.
    When the night takes on its own life, the tempo changes. Take along, languorous breath. Linger till dawn, keep your head in the stars. You're suspended in time.

Basenotes Junkie

Can't wait to try both of them in January. Zino is coming in a 100ml bottle, and he will bring me 20 samples of......other things, including Yatagan...yay!

Banned

However, I only have 4 fragrances in my current collection.

All of them in my bathroom.
    Not a good place. The humidity and changes in temperature can affect them.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Not a good place. The humidity and changes in temperature can affect them.
    I had them in my fridge, but thought the bathroom would be ok because it's also dark. It's humid pretty much everywhere here, including the fridge, but at least that's cold. Is the fridge better?

Banned

I had them in my fridge, but thought the bathroom would be ok because it's also dark. It's humid pretty much everywhere here, including the fridge, but at least that's cold. Is the fridge better?
    I should think anywhere dark would be best, either in a drawer, a closet, or in their original boxes. I never understood refrigerating perfume, although I know some people do that for essential oils. Room temperature of around 20c seems fine.

Based on preexisting and already mentioned fragrance tastes, quite likely affirmative-though not necessarily and not exclusively because of any similarity to Zino alone, but also due to being one of the best Caron male fragrances altogether, in its own right, while still reasonably priced providing quite a fair value for its going rate

Sound Scents

Vintage Yatagan is exceptional, but quite unlike Zino. As I dislike Zino, to me that is a very *good* thing...
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Neither Yatagan or Zino feel modern and I think most people would struggle to pull them off as a daily wear but they are nice for an occasional wear. They probably wouldn’t be in regular rotation for non-fragrance lovers. They’re good as fragrance art for me, but its all a matter of personal preference. Sample first if you can.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I just can't bring myself to bother finding and trying Yatagan after smelling Pour un Homme. Yatagan was on my test list but not anymore.

It looks incensy because of the orange tone and corresponding notes in it. Also looks sharp as in pungent and sharp herbs and spices, which is what their green potion smells like. I mean Oregano? Really?

That antique style of okay let's put as much as we can in it and stir. Sometimes comes out okay (e.g. Arpège, Tabac) sometimes not.

But always smells dated.
    Currently wearing: Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Lux'eau View Post
    I just can't bring myself to bother finding and trying Yatagan after smelling Pour un Homme. Yatagan was on my test list but not anymore.
    They smell nothing alike.

Basenotes Plus

It looks incensy because of the orange tone and corresponding notes in it. Also looks sharp as in pungent and sharp herbs and spices, which is what their green potion smells like. I mean Oregano? Really?

That antique style of okay let's put as much as we can in it and stir. Sometimes comes out okay (e.g. Arpège, Tabac) sometimes not.

But always smells dated.
    Seems like you aren’t interested in Yatagan. Different perfume ideas appeal to different people. As it should.

Banned

But always smells dated.
    Yatagan doesn't smell dated. In fact, it barely resembles what is traditionally recognized as men's 'cologne' at all. Perhaps closer to mouthwash, ricola cough drops or something equally herbal and astringent. Just weirdly compelling for some in whatever form, and equally off-putting for others.

Vintage is heavier, with seemingly more of everything, especially a pronounced oakmoss, but also more leather, more castoreum animalics, but it'd still be hard to pinpoint from what era it came from.

Basenotes Plus

Yatagan is one of the fragrances that doesn’t have a lot of similar-smelling me-toos. It is unique. I love it. I don’t find it too challenging either. But then again,I enjoy vintage Kouros, and Oudh Infini and lots of other scents that some find too much.

I appreciate Yatagan but am unable to like it and I have tried so hard

Love it and always get compliments. Can't remember Zino well but they won't have much in common.

I just sprayed on a bit tonight and I really enjoy it. Gotta emphasize though that it has that old world woody "power" feeling to it. Don't know how else to describe it. It's slightly disturbing.