Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Why the hate for PDM?

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    2) Early launch releases from 2010 (like Ispazon) through to their exclusive Middle Eastern releases (like Habdan) were truly intended to compete in the same olfactive space as Creed and Tom Ford Private Blends, but as other basenoters have noticed, they began taking the easy way out by cannibalizing old designer accords and beefing them up with a barrage of aromachemicals so they smell thicker, richer, and longer-lasting than what they plagiarize. This is the source of most complaints.
    This is a good point. Some of their earlier stuff was legitimately good. I got a freebie decant of Godolphin awhile back and was very pleasantly surprised. It borrows a lot from Tuscan Leather, but does a great job modulating the core leather accord with a light touch of spice and some florals. I don't remember the others in detail, but it does seem like PdM built up a bit of goodwill early on, and then squandered it by cashing in with lots of lesser releases.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 21st October 2019 at 10:45 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I don't think Kalan was done with any nuance and seems to have been a VERY clumsy effort. Like it was thrown together quickly. Maybe my impression is wrong. Maybe someone worked hard on this or maybe they thought they had something unique with the super-loud pepper note, but it's just not flattering in my opinion.
    I have not tried Kalan, so I can neither confirm nor deny your remarks, but I find that the sort of "slapdash" perfumery you describe there is one of the hallmarks of masstige perfumery. Masstige releases so often feel like rough drafts or, in the worst cases, as though there was barely even an underlying concept.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Their Layton and Percival smell extremely cheap like something from Paco Rabanne / Versace.

But I own Galloway and Pegasus and love them.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    They are OK IMO.
    Ok is fine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This is a good point. Some of their earlier stuff was legitimately good. I got a freebie decant of Godolphin awhile back and was very pleasantly surprised. It borrows a lot from Tuscan Leather, but does a great job modulating the core leather accord with a light touch of spice and some florals. I don't remember the others in detail, but it does seem like built up a bit of goodwill early on, and then squandered it by cashing in with lots of lesser releases.
    Seems like some brands can’t keep up the steam they have off of early releases

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I have not tried Kalan, so I can neither confirm nor deny your remarks, but I find that the sort of "slapdash" perfumery you describe there is one of the hallmarks of masstige perfumery. Masstige releases so often feel like rough drafts or, in the worst cases, as though there was barely even an underlying concept.
    I’m curious but do you know that exact cost per bottle to make a PDM scent compared to other brands? If not then calling PDM inexpensive goods being marketed as luxurious is no sense

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Their Layton and Percival smell extremely cheap like something from Paco Rabanne / Versace.

But I own Galloway and Pegasus and love them.
    I’m a Pegasus fan as well

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleCars View Post
    I agree, if it smells good wear it. I have a dozen or more from PDM and love them all but one. Also, I keep hearing "chemical smells", aren't most if not all fragrances made of chemicals?
    The issue isn't that scents are made of chemicals.
    The issue is when scents smell like chemicals instead of smelling like natural ingredients.

Pegasus is a good example. They list sandalwood as a base note, but the base is overwhelmed with harsh chemicals. Just about every house uses chemicals, but the scents aren't supposed to smell like harsh chemicals.

A good example is Xerjoff Nio. That scent is loaded with chemicals. It has to be. There's no way citrus can last that long without some serious chemical voodoo, but Nio smells rich and smooth. There's nothing harsh about it. That's impressive. I tried a Nio knockoff once. It didn't smell like a rich citrus. It smelled like chemicals. Harsh, abrasive & even prickly.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

The first thing with PdM is the high price tag. I've also found that I seem to like their offerings upon initial sniff (or soon thereafter), but grow tired of them after some time. I do own Darley, Layton and Habdan. I've not reached for Layton since I bought it (good thing I only have the travel sprays), but do believe Habdan is a great fragrance. Darley is an awesome Lavender fragrance.

So perhaps it's a Like, not Love for me house-wise.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The issue isn't that scents are made of chemicals.
    The issue is when scents smell like chemicals instead of smelling like natural ingredients.

Pegasus is a good example. They list sandalwood as a base note, but the base is overwhelmed with harsh chemicals. Just about every house uses chemicals, but the scents aren't supposed to smell like harsh chemicals.

A good example is Xerjoff Nio. That scent is loaded with chemicals. It has to be. There's no way citrus can last that long without some serious chemical voodoo, but Nio smells rich and smooth. There's nothing harsh about it. That's impressive. I tried a Nio knockoff once. It didn't smell like a rich citrus. It smelled like chemicals. Harsh, abrasive & even prickly.
    I like this post. I agree. Funny thing about even a "chemical" smelling fragrance though, is that it can still be pleasing. I like Dior Sauvage EDT and it took me quite a bit of time for my nose to 'tune in' past the chemical aspect and smell what the perfumer was actually intending. And so, yes, there are some fragrances that are chemical smelling, but pleasing. Your example of Nio is the same example I bring up of how synthetics can be done remarkably well. Heck, Hermes doesn't charge a fortune and they manage a very similar great result on many of their fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    The hate is laughable and the reasons make no sense.

They’re in no way clones of designers, the only fragrance they have that could be considered a clone is Godolphin which actually smells much more pleasant than the Tuscan Leather it’s imitating.

Nothing else in their offerings is a clone, some of the comparisons I’ve seen are downright terrible takes that are way off.

Unfortunately too many people think if you spend a lot of money the scent should be so challenging that passers by think you **** your pants. I’d rather smell great and enjoy the product. PDM are much nicer than so many of the garbage ‘niche’ brands so many on here drool over.
    I agree with this 1000%

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    If you don't mind harsh chemical smells, or if you don't have a good enough sense of smell to notice... by all means, enjoy PdM. I'm just explaining why I don't. Even if I could buy their stuff for $20 a bottle, I'd pass.
    Nothing about Layton smells harsh to me. It smells deep, rich, and perfectly natural. Absolutely ZERO "harsh chemical" smells. Ditto for Herod. Ditto for Oajan. Ditto for Godolphin.. and on and on. Saying all Parfums de Marly frags are nothing but "harsh chemical smells" is laughable. Theres a reason why so many people like them. THEY SMELL GOOD. And all of us who like them arent people who don't have a "good enough sense of smell". That is frankly insulting.

Just to take Layton - my favorite - as an example. It has a 4 out of 5 star rating with 102 votes on BN. 9 positive reviews and 1 negative. Its one of the highest rated fragrances on Fragrantica with a 4.42 - based on 1,334 people's votes. (!!!) If these products smelled "harsh" and "chemically" they would not be enjoyed by the vast, VAST majority of people who try them. Its only a VERY small minority of very vocal people who think that their stuff doesnt smell good. And, they are allowed that opinion..
    Last edited by Diamond Joe; 22nd October 2019 at 04:04 AM.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I agree with this 1000%

Nothing about Layton smells harsh to me. It smells deep, rich, and perfectly natural. Absolutely ZERO "harsh chemical" smells. Ditto for Herod. Ditto for Oajan. Ditto for Godolphin.. and on and on. Saying all Parfums de Marly frags are nothing but "harsh chemical smells" is frankly laughable. Theres a reason why so many people like them. THEY SMELL GOOD. And all of us who like them arent people who don't have a "good enough sense of smell". That is frankly insulting.

Just to take Layton - my favorite - as an example. It has a 4 out of 5 star rating with 102 votes on BN. 9 positive reviews and 1 negative. Its one of the highest rated fragrances on Fragrantica with a 4.42 - and that is based on 1,334 people's votes. (!) If these products smelled "harsh" and "chemically" they would not be enjoyed by the vast, VAST majority of people who try them. Its only a VERY small minority of VERY vocal people who think that their stuff doesnt smell good. And, they are allowed that opinion.. Even though its wrong
    Sometimes the masses are correct. To me none of PDMs scents smell chemically. Yes I’m new to this but they smell good, sweet and pleasant. Nothing harsh or unpleasant. I haven’t tried them all but I will and can form a further opinion. To me several Tom Ford smell a lot more harsh then PDM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    (!) If these products smelled "harsh" and "chemically" they would not be enjoyed by the vast, VAST majority of people who try them.
    Everything's comparative.

Plenty of overtly, aggressively synthetic scents get high ratings at Fragrantica. Not everybody minds that. But it's easy to see why folks who adore more classic perfumery would bristle as stuff that is more transparently synthetic.

Just like someone raised on classic Hollywood cinema might bristle at whatever Marvel movie folks are oohing and ahhing about, someone with an appetite for classic perfumery might not get along with today's blockbusters.

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Everything's comparative.

Plenty of overtly, aggressively synthetic scents get high ratings at Fragrantica. Not everybody minds that. But it's easy to see why folks who adore more classic perfumery would bristle as stuff that is more transparently synthetic.

Just like someone raised on classic Hollywood cinema might bristle at whatever Marvel movie folks are oohing and ahhing about, someone with an appetite for classic perfumery might not get along with today's blockbusters.
    Honestly I hate most of the classics scents. Pretty much anything from Polo, Aramis, or those type brands I despise. Some of the older scents from Guerlain or those class brands are ok. Honestly tho they most smell like old men. When I see people talk about vintage colognes, I laugh. Just like they laugh when there’s talk about how good this new scent smells. It’s all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Honestly I hate most of the classics scents.
    And you're entitled to do so. But be aware when starting a discussion thread here, you're going to get opinions from folks who enjoy and celebrate the classics. This forum isn't exclusively made of vintage-hoarding lovers of traditional perfumery, but many of the more well-established members do lean that way, or at least have one foot in that camp.

That's actually why I like this community. My tastes aren't wholly traditional, but I do like to kick it "old school."

Holiday Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Honestly I hate most of the classics scents. Pretty much anything from Polo, Aramis, or those type brands I despise. Some of the older scents from Guerlain or those class brands are ok. Honestly tho they most smell like old men. When I see people talk about vintage colognes, I laugh. Just like they laugh when there’s talk about how good this new scent smells. It’s all relative.
    I think there isn't a smell that's "Old Men" or any age/culture/etc. Either something smells good or it doesn't. I like most fragrances, but gourmands are my least like genre (although not hated) and it seems like gourmands are slowly edging their way into prominence. IMO, it's only a matter of time until young people latch onto gourmands as 'the new thing' that isn't really new, it's just that it will have it's time in the lime light. And I'm not mad at that, it's just I am 'very' picky about what kind of food smell I would put on. It's got to be something that doesn't annoy me after many hours and is pleasing. We'll see what comes next. Right now freshie, ultra synthetic sweet scents are the thing and that's just one very small step from my prediction that gourmands will take over the mainstream next.

Right now freshie, ultra synthetic sweet scents are the thing and that's just one very small step from my prediction that gourmands will take over the mainstream next.
    Gourmands have been mainstream blockbusters for a while now! 1 Million, Spicebomb, etc.

Holiday Favorites

Banned

I think there isn't a smell that's "Old Men" or any age/culture/etc. Either something smells good or it doesn't. I like most fragrances, but gourmands are my least like genre (although not hated) and it seems like gourmands are slowly edging their way into prominence. IMO, it's only a matter of time until young people latch onto gourmands as 'the new thing' that isn't really new, it's just that it will have it's time in the lime light. And I'm not mad at that, it's just I am 'very' picky about what kind of food smell I would put on. It's got to be something that doesn't annoy me after many hours and is pleasing. We'll see what comes next. Right now freshie, ultra synthetic sweet scents are the thing and that's just one very small step from my prediction that gourmands will take over the mainstream next.
    I’m 44 and am still a fan of fresh and clean scents. Those along with citrus are my favs. I don’t like dark, heavy, musky smells for the most part. I think that’s one reason I’m a fan of PDM. They smell nice and sweet. Not old at all.

These are all good points of view. I think we've exhausted the question of the thread though - you were just basically making sure that the brand wasn't a cult, murdering little children or enslaving them. I think you pretty much have your answer on why it's hated (or loved). I'll be curious to see though how your taste changes in a year, etc. So, which PDM are you picking up a full bottle of first?

Hey, have you tried Montblanc Explorer? I think you'll like that one btw.

Basenotes Plus

I’m 44 and am still a fan of fresh and clean scents. Those along with citrus are my favs. I don’t like dark, heavy, musky smells for the most part. I think that’s one reason I’m a fan of PDM. They smell nice and sweet. Not old at all.
    I am lucky that I love the freshy genre, the dark resin/tobacco/amber/boozy/leather genre and citrus genre. The woody genre is good with me but I don't like woods that are too piercing and not properly damped/dithered. I tend to be reserved about florals but I still enjoy them on others and only occasionally on myself. Gourmands I think mostly fall into the dessert/sweet realm. I don't like sickly sweet scents that go too far. But I can definitely love a well done vanilla or coffee or chocolate scent, as long as it isn't "too foody" smelling.

I guess any criticisms for Parfums de Marly other than it being overpriced just sound to me like malcontents screaming into the void. They don't have any bad scents, the performance is great for most people and they most definitely aren't a clone house.
    Currently Rotating:

*Davidoff Cool Water Summer 2018
    *YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue

a quarter million, tops

PdM, i find chemically and harsh in general. They seem almost flat in nature. Not dissimilar to Club de Nuit Intense. Designers on steroids. If you like your average scent youd find at Sephora, but really wish it was louder and lasted a lot longer PdM is for you. I think they fill a specific role in our community. I dont look down on them, but they arent my thing.
    An example of how i see them, I thought Shagya was an okay fragrance, but it is pretty similar to Guerlain Homme Leau Boisee, which only costs like $25 and is superiorly constructed. But id say Shagya lasted a bit longer, but kind of unraveled in the later hours.

I have been complimented using their fragrances, so i guess they got that going for them, maybe Carlise or something, idk. Didnt make make want it.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    These are all good points of view. I think we've exhausted the question of the thread though - you were just basically making sure that the brand wasn't a cult, murdering little children or enslaving them. I think you pretty much have your answer on why it's hated (or loved). I'll be curious to see though how your taste changes in a year, etc. So, which PDM are you picking up a full bottle of first?

Hey, have you tried Montblanc Explorer? I think you'll like that one btw.
    Herod is my first. Should be here any day. Next will be Layton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dependent

Own and enjoy these two:

PDM Layton.jpgPDM Pegasus.jpg
    Currently wearing: Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I mean if you happen to like PdM then continue to enjoy their scents. For me, at least, they're a house that I found alluring three years ago when I first began investigating frags. That allurement quickly diminished as my palate grew. I found most of their stuff far too sweet no matter the genre they're trying to target. Herod smells like spicy donuts to my nose. Layton smells like mentholated apple pie. Again though, these are my own impressions and others have different views. You'll find similar criticisms of Creed but I tend to love Creed, batshitcrazy mythologizing and all. They've just been around a lot longer so have a bigger fanbase is all.

a quarter million, tops

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Layton smells like mentholated apple pie.
    Lol
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Their fragrances are bland and unoriginal, made with mediocre ingredients. They're overpriced department store fragrances marketed as upscale niche.
    I agree

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
    I guess any criticisms for Parfums de Marly other than it being overpriced just sound to me like malcontents screaming into the void. They don't have any bad scents, the performance is great for most people and they most definitely aren't a clone house.
    Agree

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Own and enjoy these two:

PDM Layton.jpgPDM Pegasus.jpg
    Those are both great

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I mean if you happen to like PdM then continue to enjoy their scents. For me, at least, they're a house that I found alluring three years ago when I first began investigating frags. That allurement quickly diminished as my palate grew. I found most of their stuff far too sweet no matter the genre they're trying to target. Herod smells like spicy donuts to my nose. Layton smells like mentholated apple pie. Again though, these are my own impressions and others have different views. You'll find similar criticisms of Creed but I tend to love Creed, batshitcrazy mythologizing and all. They've just been around a lot longer so have a bigger fanbase is all.
    Yea Creed is another love/hate brand it seems

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast