Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
o
    Basenotes Member

Default Re: Why the hate for PDM?

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Their fragrances are bland and unoriginal, made with mediocre ingredients. They're overpriced department store fragrances marketed as upscale niche.
    Never forget this is just an OPINION, just because the mayority agree doesn’t make it fact, y'all cry too much , if you don’t like it move on to something else, i Personally LOVE PDM and wayy more than what to my opinion is a mediocre brand (creed) now thats what you can call overpriced Bs that barely lasts...but then again its just my opinion not fact.
    Last edited by Foecartel; 24th October 2019 at 12:36 PM.

a quarter million, tops

Pegasus does smell good. They all smell good. To be fair, if they were only $20 a piece id probably own multiple for sure. I think they have a nice presentation, though i like to see the juice. I havent tried herod, but i will soon. I wouldnt be surprised if i like it, it is quite popular. I do not like gourmands or sweeties usually, so this brand misses for me. In a day when many fragrances coming to market are watery and short on longevity, PdM saw a hole in the market. Kudos, its a great house. They have thier segment. I dont see them losing brand cache like Bond no.9. They have a clear picture of who they are. I think, say, 50% of the fragrances coming out these days have no business being released, besides trying to saturate the market and bland money grabs with top notes and basic bases. I think PdM have a reason to exist.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Shagya by Parfums de Marly

I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy many scents from PDM and Bond. To each his own. If I like it, and my wife likes it, that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Foecartel View Post
    Never forget this is just an OPINION, just because the mayority agree doesn’t make it fact, y'all cry too much and act more like females than females do over fragrances, if you don’t like it move on to something else, i Personally LOVE PDM and wayy more than what to my opinion is a mediocre brand (creed) now thats what you can call overpriced Bs that barely lasts...but then again its just my opinion not fact.
    Yep, all opinions and that’s ok. I like some Creed scents as well, I’ll admit. To me basically ALL scents are overpriced. But that doesn’t stop me or most from buying them. It’s the price you pay for ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Pegasus does smell good. They all smell good. To be fair, if they were only $20 a piece id probably own multiple for sure. I think they have a nice presentation, though i like to see the juice. I havent tried herod, but i will soon. I wouldnt be surprised if i like it, it is quite popular. I do not like gourmands or sweeties usually, so this brand misses for me. In a day when many fragrances coming to market are watery and short on longevity, PdM saw a hole in the market. Kudos, its a great house. They have thier segment. I dont see them losing brand cache like Bond no.9. They have a clear picture of who they are. I think, say, 50% of the fragrances coming out these days have no business being released, besides trying to saturate the market and bland money grabs with top notes and basic bases. I think PdM have a reason to exist.
    I agree with a lot of that

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy many scents from PDM and Bond. To each his own. If I like it, and my wife likes it, that's all that matters.
    Very true

I love the Godolphin I'm wearing today. I need to re-acquire Herod at some point.

I love the Godolphin I'm wearing today. I need to re-acquire Herod at some point.
    That’s the only one I own (Herod) and totally love it

Banned

It's funny, out of all the PDM's I've owned and sold, the one that's remained in my wardrobe is Percival. I don't think it's that great for the first 30 minutes or so, but when it hits the dry down I love it. It smells like fresh laundry with a touch of something sweet. It's the kind of scent that's great on fabric.

Having said that, I'll probably re-acquire Oajan at some point if I ever get rid of a gourmand or spicy fragrance. Oajan is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornflake View Post
    To me it's the loud synthetics first, and the scents that remind me heavily of other fragrances that i liked better.

They tend to give me a headache so that doesn't help either.
    Herod smells synthetic? the drydown is magical.
    1. Dior - Homme/Intense (vintage)

Creed - Aventus

Amouage - Jubilation XXV

Amouage - Reflection Man

Dior - Feve Delicious

Hermes - Terre d'Hermes

Parfums De Marly - Herod

Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Serge Lutens - Chergui

10. Lalique - Encre Noire Extreme

Life's too short for average fragrances.

all things considered it is a rather sleazy house. but i do enjoy Herod.
    Currently wearing: Awake by Akro

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's funny, out of all the PDM's I've owned and sold, the one that's remained in my wardrobe is Percival. It smells like fresh laundry with a touch of something sweet.
    You nailed it. The whole time I owned Percival, it always felt like my wife had used a new "too strong" laundry detergent each time I wore it. I could not get used to it. But it is very fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I still need a FB of Pegasus, but it keeps getting pushed down my list. I think until my samples run out, it'll continue to get pushed as BSOs keep distracting me.

You nailed it. The whole time I owned Percival, it always felt like my wife had used a new "too strong" laundry detergent each time I wore it. I could not get used to it. But it is very fresh.
    Ha, that comparison is on point, sir!
    I've also skipped that one.
    But Godolphin is really nice, own and enjoy it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by psyside View Post
    Herod smells synthetic? the drydown is magical.
    I’d agree

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    all things considered it is a rather sleazy house. but i do enjoy Herod.
    Sleazy as in?

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Ha, that comparison is on point, sir!
    I've also skipped that one.
    But Godolphin is really nice, own and enjoy it, too.
    Haven’t tried Godolphin yet

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Haven’t tried Godolphin yet
    For me, those are the best 5:

Layton
    Herod
    Pegasus
    Godolphin
    Oajan

As the weather is turning colder I've been wearing Oajan every day for the past week and I love it. I'm not a fan of the opening as is a bit too pungent but after 10 mins it starts to settle down until it becomes a most wonderful scent. Two sprays will last 10+ hours. I could wear it every day for the whole winter, no problem. I like Herods but not as much as Oajan. I don't care much for Layton or Pegasus, though they're nice.

I think PDM makes some high quality, well-crafted compositions. Definitely not a clone house. It's expensive but you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    For me, those are the best 5:

Layton
    Herod
    Pegasus
    Godolphin
    Oajan
    I haven’t tried the last 2 but will be soon

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    As the weather is turning colder I've been wearing Oajan every day for the past week and I love it. I'm not a fan of the opening as is a bit too pungent but after 10 mins it starts to settle down until it becomes a most wonderful scent. Two sprays will last 10+ hours. I could wear it every day for the whole winter, no problem. I like Herods but not as much as Oajan. I don't care much for Layton or Pegasus, though they're nice.

I think PDM makes some high quality, well-crafted compositions. Definitely not a clone house. It's expensive but you get what you pay for.
    Yea I don’t see it as a clone house either, but then again I’m just learning the frag scene.

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Yea I don’t see it as a clone house either, but then again I’m just learning the frag scene.
    I'd advise getting some samples from a reputable seller and give the scents a proper wearing rather than smelling it on a test strip.

Basenotes Member

Pegasus smells alot like Givenchy Pi, i kinda understand the hate with PDM and it not being original

Too sticky, too cloying, too expensive. Most of their stuff smells designer like and boring.
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa

If you think Pegasus smells a lot like Givenchy Pi, then the problem isn’t PDM being a clone house (they’re not), the problem is with your nose

If you asked me to smell those 2 scents blindfolded 100 times, I’d tell you which one was which in under 1/2 a second every time. You shouldn’t be able to do that if two scents supposedly smell a lot like each other....this is because they don’t.
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Incense Oud
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Layton / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Baccarat Rouge 540
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada LíHomme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    If you think Pegasus smells a lot like Givenchy Pi, then the problem isnít PDM being a clone house (theyíre not), the problem is with your nose

If you asked me to smell those 2 scents blindfolded 100 times, Iíd tell you which one was which in under 1/2 a second every time. You shouldnít be able to do that if two scents supposedly smell a lot like each other....this is because they donít.
    I never said it was a clone nor pdm a clone house i love pdm , they just smell similar and to myyyyyy nose it reminds me alot of Pi, maybe i shoulda said it reminds me rather than it smells... i just got armaf craze which is supposed to be a clone of it and even smells more like pi. Everyone wants to cry that PDM is Wack and mediocre and unoriginal and this and that, well i kinda see where theyíre coming from smelling Armaf craze which you all wanna swear is a clone of pegasus.

First of all i didn’t ask you to give your 2 cents andI never said it was a clone nor pdm a clone house i love pdm , they just smell similar and to myyyyyy nose it reminds me alot of Pi, i just got armaf craze which is supposed to be a clone of it and even smells more like pi. Everyone wants to cry that PDM is Wack and mediocre and unoriginal and this and that, well i kinda see where they’re coming from smelling Armaf craze which you all wanna swear is a clone of pegasus.
    That's OK I didn't give you my 2 cents, that was free of charge.

You didn't say clone? OK you just wrote they're "not original", so...same same

Yes to yoouuuur nose and this is why I don't care for fragrance reviews when I'm looking to buy something, because there are too many people out there with misleading opinions. Not saying you're doing anything intentionally, but the fact remains they don't smell a lot alike.

On the one hand you love PDM, on the the other hand you can understand why people call them "wack, mediocre and unoriginal"...makes as much sense as your previous comment.

Have a nice day I guess

i find the house on the whole sleazy, like creed they seem to be more of a marketing front. many youtube reviewers are fawning over their releases which is interesting to say the least. their scents perform but generally smell very synthetic.
    Currently wearing: Awake by Akro

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    i find the house on the whole sleazy, like creed they seem to be more of a marketing front. many youtube reviewers are fawning over their releases which is interesting to say the least. their scents perform but generally smell very synthetic.
    A lot of YouTube reviewers are clearly shilling for them. Remember that Initio Parfums and Parfums de Marly are both owned by Yvan Jacqueline.

Never forget this is just an OPINION, just because the mayority agree doesnít make it fact
    Actually, the majority love PdM. Its just a small very vocal minority who bash them at every turn. Layton has a 4.4 rating on Fragrantica with almost 1,500 votes. It has a 4 star rating on here with 100+ votes. Herod has a 4.5 rating on Fragrantica with almost 2,000 votes and 4 stars on here with 232 votes. Oajan has a 4.4 with 800 votes on Fragrantica, 4 stars and 64 votes here. Godolphin has a 4.25 with 500 votes and 4 stars here with 50+ votes. There are clearly a LOT more people who love PdM's offerings than there are who hate them.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast