Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
o

Cool Why the hate for PDM?

Iím newer here so maybe Iím missing something, but why the hate for Parfums de Marly? I find there offerings smell very nice and think they are a really great house. Did they do something I donít know about, like own childrenís work factories, or are people smugglers or is it simply that many people like their scents so that means others simply dislike them due to that alone? Is it the Creed Aventus type hate?

Iím just thinking out loud but I simply donít get it. Maybe someone can help me understand it

Also, please donít come in the thread bashing others. If you like or donít like PDM then just explain why. We all have our reasons and thatís fine

Default Re: Why the hate for PDM?

Their fragrances are bland and unoriginal, made with mediocre ingredients. They're overpriced department store fragrances marketed as upscale niche.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Their fragrances are bland and unoriginal, made with mediocre ingredients. They're overpriced department store fragrances marketed as upscale niche.
    This
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Byerley is an exceptional resinous vetiver.
    Hamdani is a pretty wicked leather.

Those 2 alone are definitely NOT department store fragrances.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

This. Exactly this.

And thatís ok. Personally I think they smell better then most things out there. I donít really care about the marketing, itís about the product to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Byerley is an exceptional resinous vetiver.
    Hamdani is a pretty wicked leather.

Those 2 alone are definitely NOT department store fragrances.
    Havenít smelled those, but I need to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignore the hate. If you find some that you like, buy it. There's a few in this house that I feel are downright enjoyable and I'm glad they're in my collection.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

I love this house too man, so its not all hate. Layton and Herod are two of my favorite frags, period. Oajan is beautiful, Nisean is very nice, and Kalan is interesting. I don't find ANY of those bland or unoriginal. Quite the opposite in fact

This.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

No dislike for their fragrances from me. Have always enjoyed their men's offerings
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I own them. Dont love them but cant deny I tend to get compliments when I wear Layton even though it dosent excite me.

Main accusation against PDM is they are simply a clone house masqurading as a Niche house.

If you look at the majority of their scents they are direct rip offs of other brands.

There is a market for that.

I haven't seen that much hate, to be honest. They make great scents and anyone who says they are a clone house needs to re-calibrate their noses. They do have some duds, but a lot of their fragrances are very good. well above average, for sure. Fragrances are so personal anyway, just ignore what others are saying if you enjoy something and it works with your body chemistry.
    Currently Rotating:

*Creed Green Irish Tweed
    *YSL L'Homme Sport
    *YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Creed Viking
    *Fragrance.One Office For Men
    *Parfums De Marly Pegasus
    *Imaginary Authors Yesterday Haze
    *Neandertal Black
    *Chanel Bleu de Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Bingo.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des GarÁons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Hindu Kush by Mancera

I love many of their fragrances, only one I can think of right now I didn't care much for.
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi

Basenotes Plus

Nothing really unique to warrant a reason to purchase a lot of other fragrances already offer what they do for a lot less.
    Last edited by speckmann0706; 21st October 2019 at 06:27 AM.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain LíInstant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

+1

I'd add that most tend to smell blatantly chemical. Pegasus, for example. The opening is nice, but wow, that base is HARSH.

The materials and compositions usually don't justify their prices.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Who cares if someone doesn't like a particular house?

Not everyone has to like everything.

If you like it, then like it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

I think most people who enjoy fragrances do like Parfums de Marly.

If I take a look at the ratings on the German Parfum forum I get these results:

Herod: 8,8/10 (798 votes) - https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Parfu..._Essence_Herod
    Layton Exclusif: 8,7/10 (238 votes) - https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Parfu...ayton_Exclusif
    Carlisle: 8,6/10 (168 votes) - https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Parfu...Marly/Carlisle
    Layton: 8,5/10 (497 votes) - https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Parfums_de_Marly/Layton
    Oajan: 8,4/10 (354 votes) - https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Parfu..._Essence_Oajan
    Godolphin: 8,1/10 (264 votes) - https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Parfu...arly/Godolphin
    Pegasus: 8,1/10 (357 votes) - https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Parfums_de_Marly/Pegasus

That's not so bad, right?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    +1

I'd add that most tend to smell blatantly chemical. Pegasus, for example. The opening is nice, but wow, that base is HARSH.

The materials and compositions usually don't justify their prices.
    I agree with these sentiments, but as I've been exploring the house a bit more, I've discovered some things which have me a bit conflicted about them.

1) They come across as a "Creed Lite" by using heavy bottles, lots of French-themed aristocratic marketing (powdered wigs and all), plus weaving a magical backstory concerning the Ch‚teau de Marly and Louis XIV. His horses were naming inspiration for the early scents, while the formulae were "inspired" by whatever perfumes they wore back then, but they don't smell anything like what would have been around at the time (perfume in the 17th century barely existed as we know it now anyway).

2) Early launch releases from 2010 (like Ispazon) through to their exclusive Middle Eastern releases (like Habdan) were truly intended to compete in the same olfactive space as Creed and Tom Ford Private Blends, but as other basenoters have noticed, they began taking the easy way out by cannibalizing old designer accords and beefing them up with a barrage of aromachemicals so they smell thicker, richer, and longer-lasting than what they plagiarize. This is the source of most complaints.

3) It seems they've filled the coffers enough these days to start taking more risks and doing some things that don't directly smell like "Emperor's New Clothes", as evidenced by releases like Sedley and Kalan, but who's to say if this is the beginning of more-creative output or just an eye of the storm before they start making more upscaled designer clones again? It boils down to a matter of trust. It's hard to give something like Kalan a fair shake when perfumes like Galloway, Herod, and Layton have become their most-popular fragrances.

Regardless of your income, if you spend the kind of money they're asking for, you'd like to know it's going to something you can't get elsewhere for less, and so far PdM has felt mostly like a fleecing operation.
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 21st October 2019 at 05:20 AM.
    oh look, I have a signature

Freed from BN Institution

Very true. I consider it in the same category as houses like Bond No 9
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

My issue with their offerings isn’t a lot of what I read here..just a little. Unlike many houses I think they start off wonderful but in the end they tank up and fall apart late where it’s just a mess assaulting me. It’s the only house..well maybe Bond No 9...where a strong drydown is a fail !
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Basenotes Plus

I like the house, own several and enjoy them
    Currently wearing: Dťclaration by Cartier

Banned

I think the "hate" is for three reasons:

1) Some people find their fragrances derivative (i.e., clones or closely resembling other fragrances that came before them)

2) They use strong synthetics, so people who are sensitive to synthetic notes find them harsh.

3) They play it safe, with likable combinations of notes and don't challenge the consumer.

For the record, I like the brand and find that in general they release fragrances that smell good and perform well.

Basenotes Plus

Are you sure you want to know, OP? What you don’t know won’t hurt you. But you it’s harder to forget what you’ve discovered. While I do like some of the PdMs I find them a little synthetic and tough to swallow at those prices. Coupled with the ridiculous King Louis XIV backstory requires a big leap my mind can’t seem to make. No hate here, just not impressed. Guess you can’t win them all.
    ď...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.Ē - Robin Sharma

To me it's the loud synthetics first, and the scents that remind me heavily of other fragrances that i liked better.

They tend to give me a headache so that doesn't help either.

Blog Entries

For me it seems PdM is a bit too clever with their marketing - the ridiculous incomplete backstory, the flood of freebies given to Youtube reviewer. And their fragrances are actually quite harsh and irritating make-overs of successful designers or common niche genres.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: The Aoud by Mancera

I certainly have nothing against them. I sampled several of them after they came on the scene and simply didn't smell any that I found appealing....and certainly nothing I would want to buy.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Ignore the hate. If you find some that you like, buy it. There's a few in this house that I feel are downright enjoyable and I'm glad they're in my collection.
    Oh I do ignore it as it pertains to owning them. I was just curious as to why

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I love this house too man, so its not all hate. Layton and Herod are two of my favorite frags, period. Oajan is beautiful, Nisean is very nice, and Kalan is interesting. I don't find ANY of those bland or unoriginal. Quite the opposite in fact
    Yea I’m a fan too. Herod might be my fav scent