Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34
  1. #1
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    651

    Default Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    This is what people mean when they say "don't blind buy , sample first". Let me explain -
    I read all the Azzaro reviews, not just by the gurus here, but by everyone. I could only have my friend bring two back to Nicaragua with him from the USA , so I got my usual Eau Sauvage, and blind bought 200ml Azzaro EDT for $40 off Fragrance.Net.

    It's not going well, Iv'e taken to spraying my clothes and pants so the scent cloud will drift up and reach me indirectly rather than apply directly and burn my nostril hairs off. Ok, might be going too far, but it is harsh and stays harsh and dries down to something candy sweet and...not unpleasant...but, not what I expected from an ecstatic 10/10 Colin Maillard review. And that was my fault, as some pointed out...trusting other people for my blind buy...it didn't work.

    But, I'm not someone who gives up easily on something. Would people who know the vintage Azzaro say that the reason I'm not getting it is because it just isn't the same beast any more? Didn't they take out the oakmoss ? That is such an important ingredient, maybe it really would be worth getting a bottle of Oakmoss EO and working tiny amounts into the Azzaro, to bring back its lost charm ? Because I am not finding this charming at the moment. As I said, it smells like candy, at best. There's no depth to it...
    and that maybe not its own fault, but because they stripped the soul out of it?

    I'm going to let this go at some point...just a bit sad that my Azzaro is relegated to a bathroom room and trouser spray.

    Feels a bit like blasphemy.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,210

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    I have the current version, bought in 2018, and a vintage, probably 1980s. Both are very good. The current version is sharper in the opening, a little harsh with prominent aniseseed. The drydown isn’t quite as nice. The vintage is smoother at the opening by far, and has perhaps a better drydown. But I like both.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Why are you trying to like it so much?

    If you don't like it, you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with that.

    I mean, plenty of people with opinions that I respect happen to like Sauvage. The fact that they like it doesn't change the fact that I think it's a load of hot garbage.

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    295,851

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post

    If you don't like it, you don't like it. They're nothing wrong with that.
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I have the current version, bought in 2018, and a vintage, probably 1980s. Both are very good. The current version is sharper in the opening, a little harsh with prominent aniseseed. The drydown isn’t quite as nice. The vintage is smoother at the opening by far, and has perhaps a better drydown. But I like both.
    I'm not getting ANY aniseed in this And I know what aniseed should be like, because my partner and I wear Lutens Douce Amere almost every day, and that is mainly aniseed and wormwood. This Azzaro ain't got that ((

    Yes, good point, why am I trying so hard? Because expectations are half the problem in life, I built myself up to love it, and expected to.

  6. #6
    Basenotes Junkie Drjones152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Providence Rhode island
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Why are you trying to like it so much?

    If you don't like it, you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with that.

    I mean, plenty of people with opinions that I respect happen to like Sauvage. The fact that they like it doesn't change the fact that I think it's a load of hot garbage.
    Exactly , Sauvage to me seriously, sucks , I don't like it either , I thought I would until I sampled it, it's a bottle of who knows what in it .. AZZARO PH in my opinion, new it old , is very very nice , I already went thru two bottle in a 4 month span..it's up to u , don't go by what ppl like on a forum, same with Bleu de Chanel, great house , but I just can't wear it..I would rather wear Sauvage then Bleu to be honest ..I blind buy majority of my colognes , Opium pH, Pasha Cartier , Van Cleef etc etc.., u know what I like to do , research, I research on colognes and compare it to what I know it smells like , the worst blind buy I ever bought in my life was CURVE , it's disgusting, but that's my opinion, Azzaro is beautiful, I didn't even think anyone can actually dislike it the way u do lol

  7. #7
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    42,971

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    If it's not for you, let it go.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  8. #8
    Basenotes Junkie Drjones152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Providence Rhode island
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    This is what people mean when they say "don't blind buy , sample first". Let me explain -
    I read all the Azzaro reviews, not just by the gurus here, but by everyone. I could only have my friend bring two back to Nicaragua with him from the USA , so I got my usual Eau Sauvage, and blind bought 200ml Azzaro EDT for $40 off Fragrance.Net.

    It's not going well, Iv'e taken to spraying my clothes and pants so the scent cloud will drift up and reach me indirectly rather than apply directly and burn my nostril hairs off. Ok, might be going too far, but it is harsh and stays harsh and dries down to something candy sweet and...not unpleasant...but, not what I expected from an ecstatic 10/10 Colin Maillard review. And that was my fault, as some pointed out...trusting other people for my blind buy...it didn't work.

    But, I'm not someone who gives up easily on something. Would people who know the vintage Azzaro say that the reason I'm not getting it is because it just isn't the same beast any more? Didn't they take out the oakmoss ? That is such an important ingredient, maybe it really would be worth getting a bottle of Oakmoss EO and working tiny amounts into the Azzaro, to bring back its lost charm ? Because I am not finding this charming at the moment. As I said, it smells like candy, at best. There's no depth to it...
    and that maybe not its own fault, but because they stripped the soul out of it?

    I'm going to let this go at some point...just a bit sad that my Azzaro is relegated to a bathroom room and trouser spray.

    Feels a bit like blasphemy.
    I was checking out your wardrobe on what u own and collection, I am really actually surprised u don't like it at all.., I was also thinking of doing to my current edtions colognes getting a extract bottle of Oakmoss and with a toothpick put in a decent with my cologne already in it just to have that oakmoss , cause alot if stuff u have and I have used have alot of Oakmoss in it and current stuff suffers from not having it..I might give it a try , Oakmoss extract can be easily bought online ..if u don't like fk it u know move on

  9. #9
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    On the school bus to Marple via New Mills a blast of something similar to Azzaro came through the school bus window as we passed Swizzells sweet factory in New Mills.

    But just now, I smelled my t- shirt, which I sprayed Azzaro onto two days ago, and it smelled gorgeous, I had never got this part before, up til now....just moments ago.

    It's like that line from the Pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb - "You are only coming through in waves...." SOmething of the real character of Azzaro is teasing me, only coming through now and again in waves... and maybe slowly..slowly seducing me...;-)

    I've read of others who had the same thing, didn;t like it at first but later grew to love it, it would be nice to hear from them.

    This damn scent won't let me go....it's stuck it's little hooks in me..

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,740

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I have the current version, bought in 2018, and a vintage, probably 1980s. Both are very good. The current version is sharper in the opening, a little harsh with prominent aniseseed. The drydown isn’t quite as nice. The vintage is smoother at the opening by far, and has perhaps a better drydown. But I like both.
    Pretty much.

    Vintage is round and warm. Current is much rougher and angular.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    I seen a lot of words used to describe Azzaro Pour Homme by fans and foes, but "candy" definitely isn't one of them. I wonder if you're sensitive to something in it? I find it intensely herbal (lavender, anise), mostly dry, and not very sweet at all, both in vintage and modern formulas. The vintage is a little "thicker" and has more warmth, but overall they're pretty similar.

    Anyway, I hope it starts to agree with you! It look me awhile to love as well, but as you say, it eventually got its hooks in me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  12. #12
    Basenotes Junkie Drjones152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Providence Rhode island
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    On the school bus to Marple via New Mills a blast of something similar to Azzaro came through the school bus window as we passed Swizzells sweet factory in New Mills.

    But just now, I smelled my t- shirt, which I sprayed Azzaro onto two days ago, and it smelled gorgeous, I had never got this part before, up til now....just moments ago.

    It's like that line from the Pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb - "You are only coming through in waves...." SOmething of the real character of Azzaro is teasing me, only coming through now and again in waves... and maybe slowly..slowly seducing me...;-)

    I've read of others who had the same thing, didn;t like it at first but later grew to love it, it would be nice to hear from them.

    This damn scent won't let me go....it's stuck it's little hooks in me..
    U should give it a break for a few days , revisit Azzaro and try it again, sometimes for me the first few minutes are challenging for some colognes , but the dry downs are beautiful, either vintage form or current form I love Azzaro ..wait for the dry down..but I agree with OP it's far from a sweet Fragrance..I receive nothing sweet at all from AZZARO

  13. #13
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    .." I receive nothing sweet at all from AZZARO"

    Maybe I could send a decant to someone who knows the original and current formulations, and maybe we could swap a decant , to see if what I have is in fact Azzaro and for me to smell what it really should be like ?

  14. #14
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    I get nothing candy sweet what so ever in the dry down, sounds like a gone bad off bottle. Dry down is full on masculine and smells great, grab a newer 3.4oz refillable bottle if cost isn’t a issue for you best of luck whatever you decide but I honestly feel your bottle is bad.

    For what it’s worth I did struggle for quite awhile to fully enjoy it as it is a full on masculine that takes notes and masculinity to the extreme side, but once it clicks it’s a enjoyable excellent wear. I’ve worn it off and on for a few years my older 6.8oz bottle was quite harsh but still nothing sweet ever, the current refillable bottles are a lil fresher and not as harsh wears well.
    “To think I can go daily and not smell the same, while others go daily smelling of natural BO hahahaha!”

  15. #15

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    So far never had this particular sensation with Azzaro PH-might be the lack of oakmoss compared to the vintage indeed, though still far from candy sweet.

    However tending to second the opinion that it may simply need re-testing and further experimentation for discovering all its nuances, further notes than the ones first perceived and/or its true depth.

  16. #16
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,650

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Pretty much.

    Vintage is round and warm. Current is much rougher and angular.
    This sort of observation (which I think is entirely valid!) is always a bit amusing to me, because what happens when fragrances age is they "blur" and take on a sort of warmer hue, while the top notes fade or go "off" which removes a compositions sharpness. I'd bet much of the time these "rich, less angular, warm" qualities people like in vintage is just a result of aging more than anything else.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    I found this review by Pojobsh, which kinda sums up my feelings on this - apart from the brief pleasant whiff of my t-shirt from a spray 2 days ago -


    "I live for 80's creations as I'm a child of the beginning of the 1980's and Azzaro doesn't move me one bit, in fact kinda turns my stomach, just a hair. Keep in mind for this review that what I'm smelling here is basically an original formula. It's 'tolerable' if I were to experience this on another individual but, I will never wear this, ever. To my nose there's not one iota of anything that I would consider as exciting in this mix. It smells like a slightly musty shaving creme of some sort that radiates strongly with a mild olfactory illusion of old lady lurking around in the background for the entire duration, that's the stomach churning part for me. The overall effect is that of a musty, non-descript soapiness, not really too appealing to my seasoned nose and nothing that I would ever have the desire to smell of. There's hardly any note separation whatsoever, it's just this blended up blob or better yet, the blending in this is to the max which results to being nauseatingly linear in nature. Azzaro creates a smell and that's it, very boring in my opinion. Also, the soapiness in this is strange that pretty much dominates everything from beginning to end. Excellent longevity and decent sillage though."

  18. #18
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    and this -

    " I just can't get my nose to enjoy this. A sweet, somewhat metallic, musky concoction. It meshes with the 80's vibe very well, some offerings which I've really enjoyed. This, however, just does not sit right on my skin and smelled like cheap drugstore cologne.

    Literally, unbecoming stuff that a teenager would wear on a first date. It smelled like a hundred other colognes that all have the same linear, transparent, "cologney" scent. For sure try before you buy."

  19. #19
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    so maybe I

    1) Have a bad bottle

    2) Should just spray it on my clothes and smell it three days later

    3) Should accept I don't like it and it's not for me, and move on.

    4) Should never ever make a blind buy based on popular reviews.

  20. #20
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,650

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    For what it's worth, I certainly get where the OP is coming from as far as the sharpness in the opening of Azzaro Pour Homme. To me it comes from a significant blast of dihydromyrcenol, along with a notable dose of star anise (note that to me it's star anise here, not regular aniseed as others mentioned). The lavender also adds to the bright, herbal effect at this point. Any big quantity of dihydromyrcenol will add to the "cologne guy" effect, as the chemical became ubiquitous in men's fragrances and powered a lot of otherwise anonymous department store stuff (it's much of what creates that "generic" feeling in the beginning of Bleu de Chanel, for instance).

    I used to find the opening of Azzaro off-putting for the above reasons ... a bit too hairy-chested, gold chained "guy wearing COLOGNE" for me, but as I've spent more time with the fragrance it's really grown on me, especially given how rich, complex, and beautiful it is as it develops. The dry down is indeed a lot calmer, but it stays with me quietly throughout the day as a handsome aura.

    Of course, no need to force anything: if you don't like it, you don't like it. But maybe come back to it after a break and see if it strikes you differently. It may sneak up on you as a favorite, in time.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    It's not for everyone. It's only for men who love women who love men. Says it on the back of the box.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    3,210

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    BTW I spray all fragrances on my clothes so that has to be taken into consideration.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    If the current version of Azzaro pour Homme is one of my favorite perfumes, does it make sense to (blind) buy the vintage version?
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    15,888

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    The "candy sweetness" you're referring to probably stems from the anise note which is prevalent in Azzaro Pour Homme. It gives off a licorice-like smell. Although I'ver never thought of APH as sweet or candy-like in anyway, it's quite anisic at times.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Surprised you've never smelled this before. One if the old classics that were almost unavoidable, like Aramis, Polo and so on.

  26. #26
    Basenotes Plus
    Oud Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    860

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    I had a similar experience when I first tried ApH. I'd missed it completely while growing up and figured because it was so cheap I would blind buy a bottle. I thought it was hot garbage for the first year I owned the bottle and never moved it due to apathy. Sure am I glad I didn't- I returned to it a year and half later and decided it was actually pretty great. Great enough to then go procure a vintage bottle. Love, love, LOVE it now. My advice would be to sock it away for awhile and come back later. You may be pleasantly surprised!

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,740

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    This sort of observation (which I think is entirely valid!) is always a bit amusing to me, because what happens when fragrances age is they "blur" and take on a sort of warmer hue, while the top notes fade or go "off" which removes a compositions sharpness. I'd bet much of the time these "rich, less angular, warm" qualities people like in vintage is just a result of aging more than anything else.
    That does happen. I have some vintage Fahrenheit where the top notes are completely gone, but even in a blurry state it's still better than current, though much improved Fahrenheit.

    The Azzaro is different. My vintage stuff is still in excellent shape, with everything vivid and where it's supposed to be. There's just not much comparison between that and current Azzaro sold at thrift-store prices. Vintage is 5 stars, current 3/3.5.

  28. #28
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    That does happen. I have some vintage Fahrenheit where the top notes are completely gone, but even in a blurry state it's still better than current, though much improved Fahrenheit.

    The Azzaro is different. My vintage stuff is still in excellent shape, with everything vivid and where it's supposed to be. There's just not much comparison between that and current Azzaro sold at thrift-store prices. Vintage is 5 stars, current 3/3.5.
    Thanks, could that difference be caused by missing Oakmoss ?

  29. #29

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post

    It's like that line from the Pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb - "You are only coming through in waves...." SOmething of the real character of Azzaro is teasing me, only coming through now and again in waves... and maybe slowly..slowly seducing me...;-)


    or this: "I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now, the child has grown, the dream is gone"

    I'm still after all these years looking for that scent that I remember from my childhood after my haircuts. And I've tried just about all the "barbershop" fragrances out there, but I still haven't found it. I love Azzaro PH, but that wasn't it either.. (and no, it's not Clubman either..)

  30. #30
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,650

    Default Re: Ok, laying my cards on the table re: Azzaro PH EDT

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    That does happen. I have some vintage Fahrenheit where the top notes are completely gone, but even in a blurry state it's still better than current, though much improved Fahrenheit.

    The Azzaro is different. My vintage stuff is still in excellent shape, with everything vivid and where it's supposed to be. There's just not much comparison between that and current Azzaro sold at thrift-store prices. Vintage is 5 stars, current 3/3.5.
    Yep, makes sense, and fair enough!




Similar Threads

  1. Smelly table - help!
    By laph in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20th March 2011, 12:28 PM
  2. TABLE tag?
    By Francois Blais in forum Bugs/Ideas Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th January 2011, 03:26 PM
  3. Laying a bottle of fragrance on its side - any caveats?
    By karisuma in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd January 2009, 02:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000