Code of Conduct
o

Default Smoothing Out Lemongrass EO

Hello!

I'm new here, obviously, but have been lurking for several months and learning as much about aroma chemicals as I can from past posts. I have three years experience working with EO's and I'm just now branching into synthetic aroma chemicals. I am planning to redo many of my oil formulas so that they also include synthetics to help give a more well-rounded scent profile.

One formula in particular I'd like to redo is Van Van oil. This formula contains predominately lemongrass EO along with citronella EO, palmarosa EO and vetiver EO. So my question is, does a synthetic aroma chemical exist that will help take off the sharp edge to lemongrass? Lemongrass EO has a lovely citrus, spicy aroma, but it's very piercing. So far I have experimented with several lemongrass EO's from different suppliers, and I've selected the softest one. I've considered adding a homemade orris tincture but that won't work because I'm using jojoba oil as a carrier.

I'm about to make a Creating Perfume order and wanted to see if I should add anything to my purchase list that might help.

Thanks!

Default Re: Smoothing Out Lemongrass EO

The BN perfumery experts might very well correct me, so I apologize in advance if this is not an optimum solution to take the sharp edge off your lemongrass. But adding a trace of violet leaf ab. (diluted to 10% or less) has worked for me. Has a nice calming effect without changing the desired citris note.

Thanks, Dana. Creating Perfume offers Violet Leaf Absolute 3% in IPM. I'll add some to my cart and give it a try.

Although violet leaf ab is fine material to have, I'm sure others will soon chime in to make suggestions of alternate if not better materials than vl ab. to address your lemongrass issue = an informed purchase decision.

Basenotes Plus

Here's my thoughts:
    The Citral in Lemongrass, which is also known as geranial and neral combined,
    See gc here:
    http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/gca/gc1025531.html
    Is so very sharp and penetrating. You should likely try to reduce the dosage, and surround it with other single molecules that blend all together well.
    Last edited by pkiler; 21st October 2019 at 10:22 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Thank you, pkiler. I will lower the amount of lemongrass and increase the base notes. Van Van tends to be top heavy so I think this will help a lot.

I was also unaware that goodscents offered that type of analysis of EO's. How do you access that page through search? Thanks.

Basenotes Plus

The TGSC database is very easily accessed by using the portal of www.perfumersearch.com
    There are a number of searches available, but the default loading search is for the TGSC database.

To find a specific gc result for a natural, if it is available. Search with your term, such as Bergamot, than add "typical gc" .
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    The TGSC database is very easily accessed by using the portal of www.perfumersearch.com
    There are a number of searches available, but the default loading search is for the TGSC database.

To find a specific gc result for a natural, if it is available. Search with your term, such as Bergamot, than add "typical gc" .
    Perfect! Thank you! I'm off to analyze all my EO's.

Other good sources are Essential Oil University (probably the biggest source, requires a free account) as well as suppliers who provide GC's for what they sell, such as Eden Botanicals and Plant Therapy. (I don't happen to be a customer of the latter but find their site convenient.)