Code of Conduct

Default Any "Quirky" Fragrance Collections?

Not talking about the collections of "I have every Roja release", or "I have every Byredo". Thread inspired by recent exploration of Guerlain Mitsouko. I joked that someone could make a collection bigger than my current full bottle collection simply by collecting all the concentration variations and vintage releases of Mitsouko.

That then led me to thinking about all of the YSL La Nuit flankers. So i was curious if anyone out there has a collection of fragrances that are only from their birth year, or perhaps a collection of one fragrance and its flankers?
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

Default Re: Any "Quirky" Fragrance Collections?

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Not talking about the collections of "I have every Roja release", or "I have every Byredo". Thread inspired by recent exploration of Guerlain Mitsouko. I joked that someone could make a collection bigger than my current full bottle collection simply by collecting all the concentration variations and vintage releases of Mitsouko.

That then led me to thinking about all of the YSL La Nuit flankers. So i was curious if anyone out there has a collection of fragrances that are only from their birth year, or perhaps a collection of one fragrance and its flankers?
    What a great topic. Sadly I do not have this type of collection although I have a soft spot for ugly bottles - ones that contain nice fragrance but whose bottles have seen better days - kind of like the puppies no one wants to adopt from the pound. Anyway, looking forward to the responses on this thread - fascinating idea.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Amarige by Givenchy

Basenotes Plus

In the past, I definitely had collections only made of of every iteration and/or concentration of:

Cuir de Russie
    Bois des Iles
    Mitsouko

And in addition to every age and concentration, I've purchase the bath oils and body lotions of these scents, as well. (When I like something, I REALLY like something.)

I feel like Zealot Crusader's Avon collection definitely falls into this camp.

The only complete collection I own is Encre Noire, which is just three scents, so nothing too crazy. I've had dreams of amassing a "shadow" collection of Demeter fragrances strictly for layering - I already have leather, dirt, new leaf and thunderstorm. But it'd be nice to just have all the atmospheric/woody/earthy ones. I can do without the banana flambee and play doh though
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    So i was curious if anyone out there has a collection of fragrances that are only from their birth year, or perhaps a collection of one fragrance and its flankers?
    There are definitely some Basenoters who do that with Shalimar, Lolita Lempicka, Angel, et al -- perfumes that have a zillion flankers or concentrations. You could probably drive yourself nuts trying to do it with the Miss Diors.

My only quirky focus is that I try to collect every scent Roudnitska created. But I think quite a few people do that.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I think so too as they're vintage.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post

The only complete collection I own is Encre Noire, which is just three scents, so nothing too crazy. I've had dreams of amassing a "shadow" collection of Demeter fragrances strictly for layering - I already have leather, dirt, new leaf and thunderstorm. But it'd be nice to just have all the atmospheric/woody/earthy ones. I can do without the banana flambee and play doh though
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think so too.
    I was coming here to contribute but I see that I've been spoken for!
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I was coming here to contribute but I see that I've been spoken for!
    Your reputation precedes you!
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Personally speaking alone:

not so far and even if eventually this may happen, it would be most likely a coincidence bordering almost on accident or at least on unplanned occurrence to have a strong (er) focus on vintage (s), several designer/niche flankers personally considered better or at least most complex/interesting than the regular counterparts of each, some unisex, possibly a few exotic choices.

But even then largely watered down (no pun intended), almost disappearing, fairly unassuming and/or too self-effacing within the increasing diversity of an increasingly eclectic lineup, almost randomly put together/often chosen on a whim.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

The only thing I've considered a "collection" is Fahrenheit and flankers, including all 3 iterations of Summer. I managed to collect all except Fahrenheit Fresh, refusing to pay more than $100 for what sounds like just another Summer/0 degré in a weird bottle. Still on the hunt, though.

I wish I took photos before I sold Aqua and Cologne, then proceeded to lose the box with Summer 2001 and Summer 2006, plus like a dozen vintage backups. If you move, LABEL YOUR BOXES WELL. Not that I'm still bitter about it 18 months later or anything.
    Currently wearing: No. 88 by Czech & Speake

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

I consider my entire collection, to be quirky. It's a mix of mainstream-designer, niche, unknowns [so to speak], drugstore, etc, with a smattering of high-end decanted scents thrown in. I have a few no one has either heard of nor are they talked about here, or elsewhere.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...
    Currently wearing: Mellifera by Sixteen92

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Would collections originating only from certain countries be considered "quirky"? If so, then mine is quirky.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Would collections originating only from certain countries be considered "quirky"? If so, then mine is quirky.
    You probably have a quirky collection of quirky collections.

That rich guy whose YouTube channel is Smelling Great Fragrance Reviews in that it just seems like he buys whatever even if he doesn't like it very much. How do you have a full bottle of something you don't like??
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by morning light View Post
    That rich guy whose YouTube channel is Smelling Great Fragrance Reviews in that it just seems like he buys whatever even if he doesn't like it very much. How do you have a full bottle of something you don't like??
    It's probably the Marlins Guy who goes to every MLB playoff game and sits behind home plate at every game....stupid money, I call it. lol

I have thought about doing a flanker collection but not sure which one would be worth it. Fahrenheit maybe, or YSL L'Homme, but I don't love those enough. Cue the shrug emoji.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Blog Entries

Can you guys please post photos of your quirky collections!? These sound amazing!