Code of Conduct
    a quarter million, tops

Default Explorer.... is better.

Alright. Hear me. Mont Blanc Explorer smells better to me than Aventus.

1. Explorer
    2. 2018 Aventus
    3. 2010 Aventus
    4. Club de Nuit Intense

Ive only tried 2 batches though. Not a troll. Did a side by side last night of 2010 and Explorer on hands. Aventus is slightly sweeter.

Bring out your pitchforks.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Default Re: Explorer.... is better.

The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

In the dry-down?

a quarter million, tops

Throughout. Sprayed them again just now to check the openings again. So, i understand how others can enjoy pineapple, but it is just a bit sharply sweet. The lower classed melange of bitter sweetness in Explorer serves its purpose without as much "look at me please!" Im not a fan of green apple in fragrances, that particular sweetness never seems to work. In the ultimate drydown the Creed "ambergris" just smells a bit better than its contemporaries, whether it is a captive or something, it is smooth. The signiture smoke is the best part of the fragrance, but at times it can feel a bit clunky. Explorer removes that and replaces it in scent profile with akigalawood, fractured patchouli, which kinda brings the woodyness of patchouli without the earthyness. Granted, i get better longevity from the Creed.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Despite obvious similarities, there are still a few fundamental differences between Explorer and Aventus. I'm not sure which I prefer. I'm literally in the stage of trying to decide which to keep long term - at the moment, price-wise, Explorer is probably edging it, but there's something more 'whole' about Aventus. The use of ambrox in Explorer makes it feel fundamentally different in the drydown to the really vanillic, classy, complete scent that is Aventus. One's therefore operating in a designer, mass pleasing world; the other much more artistic, much more timeless. Scent alone I can't knock Aventus, genuinely. Surprised you prefer Explorer - is it just the sweetness that does it for you?
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."

a quarter million, tops

Its not just 1 thing. Of all the things i said, splitting hairs of course. Money was not a consideration in this comparison, since i already own them, and am not looking to purchase. If it were, I do tend to dislike sweetness.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'm glad I have both to draw upon when I choose as I enjoy them equally.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

I find some Aventus clones to be better simply because I become anosmic to Aventus withing 30 minutes

If Explorer was seen as somewhat 'stumbling out of the gates' maybe that worked in it's favor? It was discarded upon release but actually getting a fair shake now?
    I personally don't see a huge similarity between the two, though I get why people do.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post

1. Explorer
    2. 2018 Aventus
    3. 2010 Aventus
    4. Club de Nuit Intense
    Wrong

It's 1. Aventus 2010
    2. Aventus 2018

The other two are nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Literal lols

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Alright. Hear me. Mont Blanc Explorer smells better to me than Aventus.

1. Explorer
    2. 2018 Aventus
    3. 2010 Aventus
    4. Club de Nuit Intense

Ive only tried 2 batches though. Not a troll. Did a side by side last night of 2010 and Explorer on hands. Aventus is slightly sweeter.

Bring out your pitchforks.

I disagree.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

not better, not even very good.
    Currently wearing: Awake by Akro

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Ok, I did try Explorer in Montreal this year, and I thought it was in that ballpark in terms of scent profile but I didn't think it's that good or anything in terms of quality. I don't hold Aventus in high regard as such, but based on my memory I would pick Aventus between the two. IMO one of the best in this style (I don't care much for this style, btw) is Morning Chess. Of course, we could happily agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Wrong

It's 1. Aventus 2010
    2. Aventus 2018

The other two are nowhere
    I didn't know subjective opinions could be wrong. Learn something new every day.

Basenotes Plus

I’ve smelled explorer up close never smelled the sillage, but the sillage of Aventus is sublime there is no denying that and with the quality ingredients of Creed my choice is Creed. I haven’t worn Aventus in a long while busy with other fragrances but I remember the 75 wears very well! Explorer has some resemblance of Aventus but the pineapple note is missing which is what Aventus is known for, some batches even draw out the pineapple note into the dry down which is nice. Aventus is a odd fragrance that has many variations and offer something unique that keeps the formula hard to recreate.
    Last edited by speckmann0706; 23rd October 2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    Ralph Lauren Polo

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    I didn't know subjective opinions could be wrong. Learn something new every day.
    OP didn't give an opinion though -- it was more of a statement of fact

I really don't see how people think this is a "clone"

Top of Aventus is mostly pineapple with blackcurrant and apple as supporting players. Top of Explorer is all bergamot/citrus. Don't get the same vibe at all. Pineapple!!! Where's the pineapple!! Then in the mid/base, I get that delicious trademark smokey/birchey/musky/ambergris-y combo with the pineapple and blackcurrant/apple lingering on. Explorer has that big hit of ambroxan to counter the Aventus ambergris, and it has some woodiness from something, but its lacking the smoke/musk along with the beautiful pineapple/blackcurrant. I think there is some leather in there too that I don't get from Aventus. I just really don't think they are all that similar. Pineapple!! Aventus is the smoky PINEAPPLE!! Where is the pineapple in Explorer??!! THERE IS NONE!! Ergo, Explorer isn't a very good clone - if it even IS a clone - at all.

Explorer is it’s own scent based on its own merits... Aventus has a similar “feel,” but I find them structured quite differently.

Personally, I feel that Aventus is a better fragrance in any iteration. In terms of “clones,” I feel that Rasasi Rumz is the only one that scratches the surface.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Literal lols
    I don't really have a horse in this race, since I'm not crazy about either Aventus or Explorer, so I'm just enjoying the back and forth.

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

My wife is not a scent snob at all. She loves Aventus, but when I let her smell a sample strip of Explorer, she did not like it. So evidently she does not find them similar, but I do.

I have not owned Explorer yet, which is very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My wife is not a scent snob at all. She loves Aventus, but when I let her smell a sample strip of Explorer, she did not like it. So evidently she does not find them similar, but I do.

I'll admit I don't find them all that similar, but I've not really spent enough time with them to compare later stages of development.

Holiday Favorites

a quarter million, tops

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    OP didn't give an opinion though -- it was more of a statement of fact
    My bad. It was all my opinion. There was no facts. Just opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I really don't see how people think this is a "clone"
    Top of Aventus is mostly pineapple with blackcurrant and apple as supporting players. Top of Explorer is all bergamot/citrus. Don't get the same vibe at all. Pineapple!!! Where's the pineapple!! Then in the mid/base, I get that delicious trademark smokey/birchey/musky/ambergris-y combo with the pineapple and blackcurrant/apple lingering on. Explorer has that big hit of ambroxan to counter the Aventus ambergris, and it has some woodiness from something, but its lacking the smoke/musk along with the beautiful pineapple/blackcurrant. I think there is some leather in there too that I don't get from Aventus. I just really don't think they are all that similar. Pineapple!! Aventus is the smoky PINEAPPLE!! Where is the pineapple in Explorer??!! THERE IS NONE!! Ergo, Explorer isn't a very good clone - if it even IS a clone - at all.
    I would agree with this, it is only as much a clone of Aventus as Cedrat Boise is. Neither is really a clone.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

Yeah, my wife had a similar reaction. She said the Aventus was way better than Explorer, and that it wasn't close.

The most recent Aventus I sampled was pineapple HEAVY. So in that respect, from that Aventus bottle, I don't find them all that similar.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    I find some Aventus clones to be better simply because I become anosmic to Aventus withing 30 minutes
    God this is so true. One hour after spraying it, I can smell nothing but still get compliments like crazy.

I get told i smell like a cigar in the first hour that I wear it. Anyone else get this?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I have to say, after wearing Explorer all day today...it's not cutting it for me as a 'better' scent than Aventus. I like it - really like it - as a wearable, fresh, 'sexy' scent...but to say it's better than Aventus? I'll admit - I'm surprised by that!

- - - Updated - - -

I've found that Explorer takes a while to enjoy.

The very first few seconds are nice and juicy, but then the opening through to the drydown is a little tricky. It's very ambrox heavy, and a bit disparate.

Once it's been on for a few hours it really becomes more 'whole', more enjoyable, more cohesive - and also more like Aventus.

Not sure whether it's 'the' Aventus replacement tbh purely as it doesn't have the two facets you need/want in Anventus - juicy pineapple with that smoky birch. I've ordered another clone which hopefully has arrived today - Perfumers Choice. The reviews look good but we'll have to wait and see how good it is.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."

I smelled explorer on a guy at work. This was well into the day, so he'd been rocking this sent for several hours. I liked the places in the hallway I can tell he was - it's hard for me to describe, but it smelled like a very attractive fruit smell. Something great for work and men and women.

More around his desk I could get a better whiff of it, and my first impression was a little bit fresh but more of a woodsy, musk smell. I remember thinking it smelled designer-ish and trying to hard to be a unique freshy. This was before I knew what the exact fragrance was; but I walked away thinking this is something I would never wear because of the lack of uniqueness. I bought sample of explorer a little later and this was exactly what I smelled at work.
    Last edited by Nate154; 12th November 2019 at 09:52 PM.