Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default I have realised now what kind of fragrances I one day would like to have

I know now what my minimalist collection of 10 or so will have in it, in the future, though I don't know the names of those fragrances yet.

It will take me a very long time, but I will get there. But I know what I want, and if from this "type", you can point me in certain directions, I will be glad.

I now know that I like dark , mysterious, almost incense like scents, and the smell of a Byzantine Priest keeps coming to mind, something spiritual and serious,
    never sickly sweet or cloying. The place is definitely not West, but East, moving East, towards Turkey and Samarkand and Astrakhan. Towards Bedouins and Pashtun Princes waiting for their brides in their tents, as the desert wind blows the clouds of Kalian smoke around and those present drink sweet straight black coffee from small clay cups, as their camels grunt hoofing the sand with their feet , their huge eyes twinkling in the desert moonlight.

Default Re: I have realised now what kind of fragrances I one day would like to have

Just get Yatagan and Kouros

a quarter million, tops

Default Re: I have realised now what kind of fragrances I one day would like to have

I mean, you gotta get a amouage discovery kit. They are on Amazon. Like $35 usa.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

I feel similarly in that incense semi-orientals are what I consider essential. But I don't want every scent I own - in a small collection - to be that way. I also feel I 'need' a salty fresh scent - at the moment Oud Minerale, Bvlgari Aqva is a close second all things considered. I feel those two profiles, with a citrus and then maybe a fougere, are the perfect quadruplet for a men's fragrance wardrobe. I'd go so far to say you don't *need* anything else...

At the moment, it's Gucci Pour Homme that straddles the west/east, incense/woody divide. But I almost feel I would like something more oriental, more daring. Heeley's Cardinal is the best pure incense scent I've tried, and Comme des Garcons have admirable offerings of their own. If you haven't given 2 Man at least a few serious wearings, I would highly suggest you try that.

But good that you've worked it out - I went a different way, the opposite, really; finding what I liked, thinking about a collection, and then chipping away anything that wasn't amazing or had undue overlap with something else.

What have you tried so far? What do you like/not like/love? Which notes? Have you tried any myrrh scents - if you enjoy a touch of dry-sweetness, you may really enjoy myrrh.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I also feel I 'need' a salty fresh scent - at the moment Oud Minerale, Bvlgari Aqva is a close second all things considered. I feel those two profiles, with a citrus and then maybe a fougere, are the perfect quadruplet for a men's fragrance wardrobe. I'd go so far to say you don't *need* anything else...

In theory you could have your salty fresh scent and fougere all in one with Aqua Quorum. So strange that this frag is so under the radar when it does so many things so well, and has basically been plagiarized this entire decade by it's own perfumer no less.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    I know now what my minimalist collection of 10 or so will have in it, in the future, though I don't know the names of those fragrances yet.
    So - the hard part is done. Only the fun and exciting part is left - finding them!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

That's what you think now: tomorrow it might be different!

I agree that Yatagan is worth a look. I'd also suggest Miller Harris La Fumee Intense, though I do recommend sampling first. Miller Harris Fumee Arabie is also nice if you like an incensy, resinous rose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

My interests and genres in fragrances has changed a lot since starting, they will probably change some more into the next year and so on, good luck with your fragrance journey knowing what you want always helps!
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Basenotes Junkie

Trauerkraut is right of course, tomorrow my tastes may be different. I think sometimes what we are looking for in fragrances is what we are looking for in ourselves.
    Deep down I probably want to be that Pashtun Prince with his virgin brides and camels.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I feel similarly in that incense semi-orientals are what I consider essential. But I don't want every scent I own - in a small collection - to be that way. I also feel I 'need' a salty fresh scent - at the moment Oud Minerale, Bvlgari Aqva is a close second all things considered. I feel those two profiles, with a citrus and then maybe a fougere, are the perfect quadruplet for a men's fragrance wardrobe. I'd go so far to say you don't *need* anything else...

At the moment, it's Gucci Pour Homme that straddles the west/east, incense/woody divide. But I almost feel I would like something more oriental, more daring. Heeley's Cardinal is the best pure incense scent I've tried, and Comme des Garcons have admirable offerings of their own. If you haven't given 2 Man at least a few serious wearings, I would highly suggest you try that.

But good that you've worked it out - I went a different way, the opposite, really; finding what I liked, thinking about a collection, and then chipping away anything that wasn't amazing or had undue overlap with something else.

What have you tried so far? What do you like/not like/love? Which notes? Have you tried any myrrh scents - if you enjoy a touch of dry-sweetness, you may really enjoy myrrh.
    Yes, I like your idea of finding the perfect scent for you, in a certain type, and rotating according to mood. Gucci Pour Homme, Cardinal and Guilty Absolute are in my list of "want to sample", also Heeley's Cuir Plein Fleur. The good thing about sampling is, even people with smaller budgets can try them and then spend time thinking about which ones they really want to invest in. I've heard great things about Comme des Garcons of course.

You are perceptive, about the myhrr, of course this is one of the Church notes I refer to with the Byzantine Priest comment. I lived in Russia for a decade and have a weakness for all things Byzantine, but stretching further down into Asia and the Middle East too. Perhaps a myhrr, oud, frankincense, patchouli , rose combination or at least these could be among the ingredients. I'm trying to get away from cloying sweetness and have an allergy to generic smells.

We came to Nicaragua 5 years ago and I only started getting interested in this site a year ago, so have tested very few things, something I hope to change soon by asking our friends who visit from the USA to bring samples, rather than bottles. I have a feeling that when I decide on my final minimal collection, it will be expensive, but something I treasure and value for its quality, rather than just something I squander and use up for the sake of it. My current collection is tiny, even my Eau Sauvage is starting to bore me a bit, I need a new direction, new olfactory experiences.

Comme des Garcons Ouarzazate sounds like something you might sample.
    November rotation - incense and smoke : Penhaligon's Elixir; CdG Avignon, Zagorsk; Piguet Casbah; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Etro Shaal Nur, Messe de Minuit; Odin 07 Tanoke; Unum LAVS, Io Non Ho Mani; Heeley Cardinal, Eau Sacree; Anatole Lebreton Grimoire; Tom Daxon Resin Sacra; Tauer Incense Extreme
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    Comme des Garcons Ouarzazate sounds like something you might sample.
    Thanks..

O u a r z a z a t e

Interesting, has the name Azzaro in it.

a quarter million, tops

Oh, yea. Cardinal smells like a church. Vividly. Thats a good pick, but it almost might be a little clean for what you describe. Your description to me should involve some background animalistics to give a sweaty nature. Im not huge on incense, so im not very well versed in the area. Cardinals priest has a pressed outfit, if that makes sense. I see something more oudy. I would be looking in to oud myrh franckinsense. But a dirty background oud will give the added depth you need to round it out. The issue will be those scents are often opaque, much more so than is generally pleasant in hot humid enviroments for me.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I mean, you gotta get a amouage discovery kit. They are on Amazon. Like $35 usa.
    Absolutely

Amazon sellers scare me more than ebay sellers.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Junkie

Oh, yea. Cardinal smells like a church. Vividly. Thats a good pick, but it almost might be a little clean for what you describe. Your description to me should involve some background animalistics to give a sweaty nature. Im not huge on incense, so im not very well versed in the area. Cardinals priest has a pressed outfit, if that makes sense. I see something more oudy. I would be looking in to oud myrh franckinsense. But a dirty background oud will give the added depth you need to round it out. The issue will be those scents are often opaque, much more so than is generally pleasant in hot humid enviroments for me.
    that's good to know, thanks . I will take a look at Cardinal and add it to my "to test" list. Really good to get suggestions , thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Amazon sellers scare me more than ebay sellers.
    Yeah, really! They always seem like a shady bunch.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by SharptoothC View Post
    I agree that Yatagan is worth a look. I'd also suggest Miller Harris La Fumee Intense, though I do recommend sampling first. Miller Harris Fumee Arabie is also nice if you like an incensy, resinous rose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Looking now, thank you. I note everything down.

Basenotes Junkie

Seems they are $65 now and their page doesn't say what the 12 samples actually are. Is it supposed to be a surprise?

amouage.jpg

Basenotes Junkie

I saw from your review that you didn't like Cardinal . Did it ever grow on you ? I might have been a bit misleading here...as to what people find to be "churchy" or "Byzantine".

I 'd definitely like to try some fragrances with myhrr and frankinense etc, but for me, even L'Instant had that church Byzantine thing going on. I haven't got the scent vocabulary to explain it but it was like - (deleted, until right words found).

Trauerkraut is right of course, tomorrow my tastes may be different. I think sometimes what we are looking for in fragrances is what we are looking for in ourselves.
    Deep down I probably want to be that Pashtun Prince with his virgin brides and camels.
    Hmm, have you ever been to Pakhtun-Khawa (the old NWFP), or the FATA agency (tribal areas)... because that is where the Pakhtuns (not Pashtun, Pashtu is the language) reside. Let me assure you there are no princes there. Aghas, tribal sardaars and Kabaili heads galore. And they don’t live in tents but houses, in rural area, made of clay-mud and brick. Affluent in well made brick houses.
    Pakhtuns now don’t have a culture of many brides anymore. And no camels, rather it is horses and mules.
    Also modern Pashtu speaker in cities do wear scents, most tribal Pakhtuns (Orakzai, Yusufzai, etc) smell of naswaar. They associate scents with women. Once in a blue moon, one meets an elder who would wear vetiver or rose urqs; they are usually well off.

Now, about the dark, mysterious scent...
    Did someone mention Amouage’s Tribute?

Two Comme des Garcons fragrances always bring similar imagery to mind...Comme des Garcons 2 Man and Ouarzazate.

The place is definitely not West, but East, moving East, towards Turkey and Samarkand and Astrakhan. Towards Bedouins and Pashtun Princes waiting for their brides in their tents, as the desert wind blows the clouds of Kalian smoke around and those present drink sweet straight black coffee from small clay cups, as their camels grunt hoofing the sand with their feet , their huge eyes twinkling in the desert moonlight.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Moncreiff View Post
    Hmm, have you ever been to Pakhtun-Khawa (the old NWFP), or the FATA agency (tribal areas)... because that is where the Pakhtuns (not Pashtun, Pashtu is the language) reside. Let me assure you there are no princes there. Aghas, tribal sardaars and Kabaili heads galore. And they don’t live in tents but houses, in rural area, made of clay-mud and brick. Affluent in well made brick houses.
    Pakhtuns now don’t have a culture of many brides anymore. And no camels, rather it is horses and mules.
    Also modern Pashtu speaker in cities do wear scents, most tribal Pakhtuns (Orakzai, Yusufzai, etc) smell of naswaar. They associate scents with women. Once in a blue moon, one meets an elder who would wear vetiver or rose urqs; they are usually well off.

Now, about the dark, mysterious scent...
    Did someone mention Amouage’s Tribute?
    thanks for this information, my description was just layman's nostalgia, like the Arabian Nights, not based on experience, as I haven't been there, no.

I'd be very interested to try a sample of Tribute by Amouage, but from their website it isn't clear exactly what testers are in their discovery sets.

Joe.

Joe, hopefully, I didn’t come across as sarcastic.
    The information is true to the word because been there often enough.
    What you’re describing matches those Rajas of yore in the Indo-Pak subcontinent.
    And that’s gone too.
    Many Middle Eastern ‘princes’ try to mimic that Arabian fantasy, but the heat drives all of them back into air conditioned palaces.
    Those men who could endure are far and few inbetween.
    I did meet them in Sahara— the Tuaregs, but even their culture has been jeopardized by conflicts in Chad and Mali.

Tribute is an attar, so I know it’s expensive and rarely as a part of their mini coffret.
    Try sampling sites.

Freed from BN Institution

Seems they are $65 now and their page doesn't say what the 12 samples actually are. Is it supposed to be a surprise?

amouage.jpg
    It's labeled on the vials, you can barely see it on the image. It did say current Amouage fragrances.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Would imagine this fragrance, apart from many great suggestions already mentioned, as a crossover and/or layering between Salvador Dali pour Homme but especially one of the Ouds by Memo Paris, perhaps even as a third element just for good measure one of the incense based EDPs by Le Couvent des Minimes

Basenotes Plus

It will take me a very long time, but I will get there. But I know what I want, and if from this "type", you can point me in certain directions, I will be glad.

I now know that I like dark , mysterious, almost incense like scents, and the smell of a Byzantine Priest keeps coming to mind, something spiritual and serious,
    never sickly sweet or cloying. The place is definitely not West, but East, moving East, towards Turkey and Samarkand and Astrakhan. Towards Bedouins and Pashtun Princes waiting for their brides in their tents, as the desert wind blows the clouds of Kalian smoke around and those present drink sweet straight black coffee from small clay cups, as their camels grunt hoofing the sand with their feet , their huge eyes twinkling in the desert moonlight.
    Central notes are oud, incense, and spice. Texture is dry, smoky and with development. Taste is bitter with a hint of sweetness. Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

Basenotes Plus

Hey,

Although the product promotion is a bit on the silly side, I recently wore a scent that I think you should try by a small artisan company called Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements out of Phoenix, Arizona. The scent is called Sangre de Drago. It's centered around the slightly sweet resin from the Rattan tree called "Dragon's Blood", and it includes sandalwood and oud. It's pretty much what you are describing but it doesn't have the incense (smokey) note. I think you could start with Sangre de Drago, but then spray on an incense/leather fragrance over it and you'll get what you're describing. This company sells an Eau de Parfum version if you want a greater strength, but IMO, the aftershave/cologne splash has some decent strength to it.

Next, and important for your request.....a smokey leather fragrance that you could layer with Sangre de Drago is one called "Lone Star Memories" by Andy Tauer. With these two layered you could achieve the scent you are describing.

Redolessence did a great review on it on his youtube video

Here are a few deep reviews of Lonestar Memories:

Sometimes, if you can't find a single scent encompassing what you want, you can try to layer them. To be honest. If you are on a long-term quest to find your scents, you will be spending some money on samples and spending a good deal of time evaluating different scents. You are lucky that you found a forum where a good deal of your work has been done for you. Don't be afraid to get creative in your quest! (P.S. these two together pretty much describe everything you asked for in your initial request.)

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    That's what you think now: tomorrow it might be different!
    This is so true. When I got started, I thought I knew what I wanted and where my wardrobe was headed. Wow was I wrong.

It's impossible to know what you want before you even know what your options are. Most of my favorites today are from houses I'd never even heard of when I was starting out, and many of my favorites are styles I didn't think I'd like. But I love 'em!

With experience, your style will probably evolve too.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum