Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: Vintage Sample Swap and Synchronization

Sample for Tuesday-

Hermes Amazone EDT

I have been unable to specifically date this sample bottle other than the late 70s-80s range.

The most information I could find is a picture survey (with some pictures missing) at the following link, and a decent note breakdown that sounds about right.
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...s-tribute.html

E1C7A260-A846-4A0A-B0C1-5BE8E25926CB.jpg
    ĒI want all the perfumesĒ

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    This evening I got hints of tobacco, leather and moss, and an almost a milky vanilla. I can only imagine what a trip the vintage extrait must be.

I get images of a summer stroll down a back alley to a dance club. Patrons are throwing each other around on the dance floor, sweating and smoking, and fruit drinks are going stale in the heat, flowers wilt. Someone that smells like vanilla and smoke sweated on the leather chair seat and now the scent is wafting up as they lounge there at closing time in front of a portable fan.
    Habanita is a great tobacco fragrance, I think. I saw some parfum versions for sale online, and I wasn't feeling a pull to try one. I think I want a 100-ml spray with a box that has a short ingredients list. The edt is already slightly alarming in its strength.

Sample for Tuesday-

Hermes Amazone EDT

I have been unable to specifically date this sample bottle other than the late 70s-80s range.
    Given how good everything has been so far, and given that this is vintage Hermes, my expectations are high. That link from Andre added to the expectation. Andre, who runs the Raiders of the Lost Scent site, does have a nose for a good fragrance. He posted on here until not that long ago.

Basenotes Plus

I like Habanita for its weirdness and the kitchen sink of notes. Sometimes it is not easy to wear and it seems to show different facets to me each time I wear it. Last time I wore it was in summer and I think it didnít feel quite as moist/heavy or sweaty, and had more tobacco.

This evening I got hints of tobacco, leather and moss, and an almost a milky vanilla. I can only imagine what a trip the vintage extrait must be.
    I've had a difficult relationship with Habanita. I SO wanted to like the vintage EDT (due to the history, the bottle, and the vibe) but I couldn't handle the mix of Johnson's Baby powder, smoke, vetiver, and tobacco (I do not experience Habanita as a leather perfume.) I swapped my vintage EDT bottle, just to get it out of my sight, but I keep thinking I should try it again. I am still hanging on to one bottle of the newer EDP, not sure why, since I can't wear that either. (I gave away another bottle of the EDP when I accidentally ended up with two...it's a long story.). Meanwhile, I continue to think, without any rational foundation whatsoever, that the vintage extrait may be THE version of Habanita for me. Clearly, I need help.😜

Vintage Amazone edt is a solid effort, a great feminine, everyday fragrance.

I find it easy to wear. There's nothing objectionable. It smells like a green rose fragrance, similar to Chanel No. 19 and, less so, perhaps, Guerlain Chamade.

This would fall into a category similar to the Coty Paris perfumes - something calling out to be a signature scent.

I think on someone else, I would confuse Hermes Amazone and Chanel No. 19. If I can bury my nose in them, I can clearly tell they're different - but there's a fair amount of overlap, I'm finding.

Amazone goes fairly quiet within an hour, a well behaved fragrance.

I think the quality from Hermes here is admirable. This is easy-wearing goodness like a Chanel or Dior. Jules is liking it. She's going to re-up with Amazone for her scent of the evening.
    Last edited by Bavard; 12th November 2019 at 08:06 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Hermes Amazone EDT original.

Earlyn and I recently exchanged samples so I am able to join in the synch with a sample from the same bottle. And I think Amazone (1974) is absolutely wonderful. I adore all 1970’s green tinted woody chypres, and Amazone is a new one for me, with some fascinating nuances. It opens tart and richly herbal--I thought of sage, artemisia and vetiver. The floral notes are mostly dark narcissus and a subtle but rich rose. I am usually not a fan of cassis notes, but it is handled here beautifully and wafts from the skin like a cordial. I don’t find Amazone to be especially fruity, which is usually a good thing for me. The berry note in the somewhat similar vintage Magie Noire (1976) just becomes irritating (to me). Amazone's long drydown is very mossy with notes of mellow cedar chest and aromatic sandalwood. Four sprays of the sample atomizer lasted all day on me.

Amazone is so completely out of step with current mainstream feminine fragrances that I would think many would say it is incredibly dated, but it suits me very well. Thanks for introducing me to Amazone, Earlyn.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hermes Amazone EDT original.

Earlyn and I recently exchanged samples so I am able to join in the synch with a sample from the same bottle. And I think Amazone (1974) is absolutely wonderful. I adore all 1970’s green tinted woody chypres, and Amazone is a new one for me, with some fascinating nuances. It opens tart and richly herbal--I thought of sage, artemisia and vetiver. The floral notes are mostly dark narcissus and a subtle but rich rose. I am usually not a fan of cassis notes, but it is handled here beautifully and wafts from the skin like a cordial. I don’t find Amazone to be especially fruity, which is usually a good thing for me. The berry note in the somewhat similar vintage Magie Noire (1976) just becomes irritating (to me). Amazone's long drydown is very mossy with notes of mellow cedar chest and aromatic sandalwood. Four sprays of the sample atomizer lasted all day on me.

Amazone is so completely out of step with current mainstream feminine fragrances that I would think many would say it is incredibly dated, but it suits me very well. Thanks for introducing me to Amazone, Earlyn.
    Thank you for this detailed analysis - it's very helpful to me. A certain layer of Amazone has never clicked for me, and I could never put my finger on what it is. And think it's that sour cassis/berry "cordial" note you referenced, which I hadn't fully interpreted until just now, reading your post. Normally I very much like tart things, and I'm neutral toward cassis...but something about how it jives with the green floral cyphre structure feels jarring to me, and I can't get comfortable in the stuff.

Much like your complicated relationship with Habanita, I frequently give Amazone a spin and look at it with nothing but respect (I love this category generally)...and it continues to taunt me.

Edit to add:

Catching up with Carven Ma Griffe from Earlyn this evening. It's delightful! So happy and green and soapy and fresh! A green cyphre that just skips along whistling a tune! Is this the one we were talking about being chalky? Because I find it a little chalky...a brilliant white dusting of effervescent florals and bright spice, over the green. I think I was going to compre this to Miss Dior. Definitely fresher, brighter, soapier. There's a slight layer of soapy warmth (pyramid says cinnamon, but I haven't picked it up specifically) - nowhere near the warmth that Miss Dior approaches in its spiced-leather-fruitcake base. That's about all I've got for the moment..but I'm loving it. I'd wear this in spring and summer for sure.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 13th November 2019 at 04:23 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Amazone got quite a range of comments! Sorry Iím not multi-quoting here because Iím having some issue with it this evening.

I purchased this bottle around the time when I first tried Givenchy III (a sample from grayspoole) that I immediately loved. When I tried the Amazone It reminded me of the Givenchy III. Amazone has a similar suspended warmth and roundness that is not as opaque as in Givenchy III. There is a dark bitter-sweetness to both, but the Amazone doesnít remind me of dark chocolate. Maybe it is that tart-sweet cassis that grayspoole and LiveJazz discussed. The two do share a fair amount of note overlap aside from a sub of other fruit in the G3 for the cassis in the Amazone

Bavardís comparison with Chamade and Chanel 19 makes me suspect Hyacinth is a factor in the warming sphere effect.

It's good to read your comments, Bavard, grayspoole, and LiveJazz. It is helping me to figure out this fragrance that I really like but donít really understand. I think it is because I havenít run into this note profile much.

Amazone got quite a range of comments! Sorry Iím not multi-quoting here because Iím having some issue with it this evening.

I purchased this bottle around the time when I first tried Givenchy III (a sample from grayspoole) that I immediately loved. When I tried the Amazone It reminded me of the Givenchy III. Amazone has a similar suspended warmth and roundness that is not as opaque as in Givenchy III. There is a dark bitter-sweetness to both, but the Amazone doesnít remind me of dark chocolate. Maybe it is that tart-sweet cassis that grayspoole and LiveJazz discussed. The two do share a fair amount of note overlap aside from a sub of other fruit in the G3 for the cassis in the Amazone

Bavardís comparison with Chamade and Chanel 19 makes me suspect Hyacinth is a factor in the warming sphere effect.

It's good to read your comments, Bavard, grayspoole, and LiveJazz. It is helping me to figure out this fragrance that I really like but donít really understand. I think it is because I havenít run into this note profile much.
    Is chocolate associated with Givenchy III? Julie mentioned chocolate during her wearing second wearing of Amazone. Twice, early in my first wearing and in the base on Julie, I thought I was getting a connection to Patou Pour Homme, but the thought was fleeting.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Catching up with Carven Ma Griffe from Earlyn this evening. It's delightful! So happy and green and soapy and fresh! A green cyphre that just skips along whistling a tune! Is this the one we were talking about being chalky? Because I find it a little chalky...a brilliant white dusting of effervescent florals and bright spice, over the green. I think I was going to compre this to Miss Dior. Definitely fresher, brighter, soapier. There's a slight layer of soapy warmth (pyramid says cinnamon, but I haven't picked it up specifically) - nowhere near the warmth that Miss Dior approaches in its spiced-leather-fruitcake base. That's about all I've got for the moment..but I'm loving it. I'd wear this in spring and summer for sure.
    It was My Sin that had an even more pronounced textured, chalky floral feel. Ma Griffe has the dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    The main accord has flowers, but it only makes a dusty powder smell on top of the earthy wood heart. This radiates quiet confidence. It doesn't smell ambitious. It doesn't smell like it's exuding any effort. It is anchored by an ingredient or two that are so surefooted it guarantees a good experience.
    Hurray, my head is clear!
    Totally agree with your sense of Ma Griffe exuding quiet confidence. After the brief green opening - which is more brownish green than bright, the soap that I am smelling comes up early with the florals and is at first like Ivory and then trends more towards the antibacterial Dial note you mentioned. I'm starting to recognize the warmth of the rose/jasmine combo that we had in the Habit Rouge, and I smell hints of it here although it is much less forward amongst the other flowers, less powdery (I get the dusty powder you describe), and cooled by the moss and woods I think. A little way into the mossy woody dry down there a salty mist that floats.

Comparing Ma Griffe with the Miss Dior edt on my other arm - the Ma Griffe smells more bitter in the middle with a little stink throughout compared to the Dior which I experience as a sweet boozy fruit cake with nuts that follows an opening that is a brighter green than the Ma Griffe. I do not have Miss Balmain for comparison, but I would say that the Miss Dior is also much more of an event, as you say, than the Ma Griffe. Along those lines - the packaging for the Ma Griffe may have been representative at the release, but for modern tastes I would not see it as so bold (age of the sample aside). Instead of the sharp green and white striped plunging neckline, I see it more like an Green, Brown, Ivory and Pink scarf.
    Last edited by Bavard; 13th November 2019 at 01:15 PM.

Our sample today is Givenchy Gentleman. This needs time to develop to get to its best. It's such a big change from the opening to 45 minutes later.

1F721EAF-6753-40FB-A978-0CA3DEA18792.jpg

This is the start of a Givenchy set.

1. Givenchy Gentleman edt 1970s
    2. Givenchy Ysatis edt 1984
    3. Givenchy Fleur d'Interdit parfum 1994
    4. Givenchy Amirage parfum 1991
    5. Givenchy Extavagance d'Amirage edt 1998
    6. Givenchy Organza Indecense edp 1996
    7. Givenchy Organza parfum 1996

Anyone with an interest in Givenchy is encouraged to share thoughts and impressions, like and dislikes, bottle counts, and photos.

For the first 20 minutes, I really don't find Givenchy Gentleman that interesting. By the end, it's my favorite fragrance. I'm indifferent to some of the top notes, but love the heart and base. This is another fragrance, like Chanel Pour Monsieur and Ho Hang Club, that needs a decent amount on a cotton t-shirt to create the full effect. The clothing-assisted dry down can go on for 24 hours.
    Last edited by Bavard; 13th November 2019 at 04:51 PM.

Basenotes Plus

FB12AB62-6A4C-40C5-9DD4-17B6834CE3DE.jpg

More notes later, but for now, I have to say that while I find GG pleasant, it never ascends to the "my favorite fragrance" level.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post

More notes later, but for now, I have to say that while I find GG pleasant, it never ascends to the "my favorite fragrance" level.
    That's based on the fragrance from this old, used splash bottle?

Default Vintage Sample Swap and Synchronization

Givenchy Gentleman has been among my favorites for some time. I've always found it to be mostly about dry herbs, spice, and patchouli with a good civet seasoning.

Today was the first time I smelled a good honey-ish dose through the heart, bringing it closer to Gatsby, which is like a smoothed, sweetened take on this theme. But GG returns to form, dries out, and morphs into its usual white-hot patchouli civet powder. I find this base accord difficult to describe well, but I agree with Bavard that it's the best and most interesting part of the scent (and I like the top and heart). The base just glows. It's dry, sparse and pointed, but also has a lot of depth and life. Molten patchouli.

The twins, similar 2oz bottle as above the left, possibly not as deep a vintage. I haven’t used that one yet.

I buy a lot of ratty splash bottles (this one happens to be nice) and have never had a poor experience with one. My 1oz of Givenchy III looks like it's been through a battle but smells great. Lucky, I guess?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Is chocolate associated with Givenchy III? Julie mentioned chocolate during her wearing second wearing of Amazone. Twice, early in my first wearing and in the base on Julie, I thought I was getting a connection to Patou Pour Homme, but the thought was fleeting.
    I get a feel of very dark chocolate - the tight bitter-sweetness. I get it with both G3 and our sample bottle of Amazone.

I get a feel of very dark chocolate - the tight bitter-sweetness. I get it with both G3 and our sample bottle of Amazone.
    Some high quality chocolates, particularly those made with raw cacao, have a fresh-sour element to their bitterness, so makes sense on that level as well, to me.

I only got a chance to wear Givenchy Gentleman once today and I would have liked to have been able to do both AM and PM wearings. In my one PM wearing I got a nice refreshing opening but then got a slightly sour note, kind of ripe, along with a cleaning product. Like a guy that needs to shower, but with a freshly washed/bleached t-shirt on. It was Interesting but I was happier in about 20 minutes when that settled down (mostly) and GG became dry and peppery. Iím thinking maybe what I was smelling up top was some of the patchouli because it smells a little like compost - dark, herbal, dirt. I have a bottle of vintage patchouli oil that smells like this.

In the drydown the patchouli smells lighter - more herbal, less dirt, and whatever is adding a bit of sweetness is exactly what I need to be able to relax into it. It is very appealing, alluring now.

I feel like I need to have some more wear time with this because I canít seem to un-smell that guy in the t-shirt.

Itís mini time!
    Most of the Givenchy sample bottles are minis with the only exception being Ysatis, which is our next sample.
    Below is a family photo of the line up for the rest of the group. Post your bottles if you like.

68D1E5AF-A773-46D3-A6EE-6DA7E75DBAAC.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    As opposed to a brand new, sealed bottle, yes. Are you assuming that if I had a “better” bottle, I would necessarily have some sort of religious experience?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    As opposed to a brand new, sealed bottle, yes. Are you assuming that if I had a “better” bottle, I would necessarily have some sort of religious experience?
    I can relate. It's a good patchouli fragrance, but that's exactly what it is and all it is: a good patchouli fragrance. Depth of vintage, condition of stock, all those things that can affect the details (e.g. older batches have civet and more oakmoss) don't really change the fundamental fact that this fragrance is steadfastly about patchouli. Speaking only for myself, I prefer Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men in the way this subject is handled, but neither is it a revelation in a bottle, just another good patchouli fragrance.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    It's a good patchouli fragrance, but that's exactly what it is and all it is: a good patchouli fragrance. Depth of vintage, condition of stock, all those things that can affect the details (e.g. older batches have civet and more oakmoss) don't really change the fundamental fact that this fragrance is steadfastly about patchouli. Speaking only for myself, I prefer Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men in the way this subject is handled, but neither is it a revelation in a bottle, just another good patchouli fragrance.
    I’m well aware that buying vintage entails inevitable risks with regard to the integrity of a fragrance. That said, nobody can tell how well a fragrance has held up over time by the fill level of the bottle, the condition of the label, and the enthusiasm of the wearer in comparison to their own. Of course, if anyone thinks their bottle would change my mind, great: offer to send me a decant.

I happen to like patchouli. I have a fair number of patchouli-based frags (some as old or older than this bottle). For whatever reason, GG doesn’t wow me. I do like it, but I find it rather plain as patches go. I smelled nice today. But I’m not shopping for a backup bottle.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I’m well aware that buying vintage entails inevitable risks with regard to the integrity of a fragrance. That said, nobody can tell how well a fragrance has held up over time by the fill level of the bottle, the condition of the label, and the enthusiasm of the wearer in comparison to their own. Of course, if anyone thinks their bottle would change my mind, great: offer to send me a decant.

I happen to like patchouli. I have a fair number of patchouli-based frags (some as old or older than this bottle). For whatever reason, GG doesn’t wow me. I do like it, but I find it rather plain as patches go. I smelled nice today. But I’m not shopping for a backup bottle.
    That's sort of where I am with it too. One full bottle of any direct patch frag is lifetime supply outside GBH FM, and that one is a frequent flyer only for sentimental reasons tbh.

Basenotes Plus

One full bottle of any direct patch frag is lifetime supply outside GBH FM, and that one is a frequent flyer only for sentimental reasons tbh.
    I rather like my mini of GBH. It’s “juicier” than GG, not always a plus for me. Do I need a FB? I don’t know. But I did just buy a vintage bottle of GBH Red, so maybe.

Anyway, I may do another day of GG to key into its subtleties. I’d like to have more to say than “nice.”

I find Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men similar, and pretty much on par with Givenchy Gentleman. It has more vanilla. It has the same kind of development where the heart and base become surprisingly good. I doubt there's a problem with PStoller's bottle. It looks good to me. For LiveJazz's bottles, I think the smaller one that has France included on the label is older / original. I think with more wearings, Earlyn and Pstoller would get into Givenchy Gentleman more. The deep heart / base is my favorite part of any perfume. It's not a quirk of personal taste - people around me voice similar opinions.

That's sort of where I am with it too. One full bottle of any direct patch frag is lifetime supply outside GBH FM, and that one is a frequent flyer only for sentimental reasons tbh.
    I had a single bottle of each, and eventually got a couple more of Givenchy Gentleman. I didn't need both in the permanent collection. Givenchy Gentleman is slightly more classic smelling - it smells like it's from the 70s, which it is.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I find Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men similar, and pretty much on par with Givenchy Gentleman. It has more vanilla. It has the same kind of development where the heart and base become surprisingly good. I doubt there's a problem with PStoller's bottle. It looks good to me. For LiveJazz's bottles, I think the smaller one that has France included on the label is older / original. I think with more wearings, Earlyn and Pstoller would get into Givenchy Gentleman more. The deep heart / base is my favorite part of any perfume. It's not a quirk of personal taste - people around me voice similar opinions.
    I agree there's more vanilla in GBH FM, and basically swaps civet for benzoin so it just feels a wee bit safer (as safe as direct patch can be anyways). Oakmoss bite in late stages is my favorite part of either GG or GBH, after the band has packed up and the party-goers have left.

I agree there's more vanilla in GBH FM, and basically swaps civet for benzoin so it just feels a wee bit safer (as safe as direct patch can be anyways). Oakmoss bite in late stages is my favorite part of either GG or GBH, after the band has packed up and the party-goers have left.
    Giorgio also has some animalic, a slightly different blend. As much as anyone else, I think I find these two similar. Giorgio VIP is a comparative outlier - I find it fairly different, and nice, but not the same effect as the other two.

It’s mini time!
    Most of the Givenchy sample bottles are minis with the only exception being Ysatis, which is our next sample.
    Below is a family photo of the line up for the rest of the group. Post your bottles if you like.

68D1E5AF-A773-46D3-A6EE-6DA7E75DBAAC.jpg
    You dug deep to share samples with me! Thank you so much! What a treasure trove - I'm excited at least. I have tried none of those, and my interest in Givenchy is near fever pitch.

On my last first date, I wore Monsieur de Givenchy, a nice, light oakmossy fragrance. Another masculine Givenchy is Insense, and that it less of a match for my style.
    Last edited by Bavard; 14th November 2019 at 12:41 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Givenchy Gentlemen

I have a vintage mini of vintage GG EDT and I am wearing it now. I find this to be a definitively masculine scent. I love the earthy and herbal patchouli in this, the oakmoss (of course), but I think it is the civet that really sets this apart. I don’t know if vintage GG contains natural civet, perhaps it did, but it is a great civet note as I understand it, with a musky honeyed warmth. Not freshly showered, but a clean crotch smell. Not sharp or pissy. As GG dries down, a good but subtle leatheriness merges with the civet top. Vintage GG can still be worn in polite company because all of these animalic elements are balanced and used with restraint

Earlyn, I think it is the civet, along with the patchouli, that is giving you the “guy that needs to shower but with a freshly washed/bleached t-shirt on.” And you say you have a problem with this guy hanging around your house?

To me, vintage GG is Cary Grant in His Girl Friday (1940), elegant on the surface but raffish to the core.

https://youtu.be/Eom_iOkd0-I

Basenotes Plus

I like that GG isnít lavenderish. I love fougeres but this one doesnít cave to the letís put lavender into every male scent trend of the times.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Vintage Givenchy Gentlemen

I have a vintage mini of vintage GG EDT and I am wearing it now. I find this to be a definitively masculine scent. I love the earthy and herbal patchouli in this, the oakmoss (of course), but I think it is the civet that really sets this apart. I don’t know if vintage GG contains natural civet, perhaps it did, but it is a great civet note as I understand it, with a musky honeyed warmth. Not freshly showered, but a clean crotch smell. Not sharp or pissy. As GG dries down, a good but subtle leatheriness merges with the civet top. Vintage GG can still be worn in polite company because all of these animalic elements are balanced and used with restraint

Earlyn, I think it is the civet, along with the patchouli, that is giving you the “guy that needs to shower but with a freshly washed/bleached t-shirt on.” And you say you have a problem with this guy hanging around your house?

To me, vintage GG is Cary Grant in His Girl Friday (1940), elegant on the surface but raffish to the core.

https://youtu.be/Eom_iOkd0-I
    It's an exciting idea that Givenchy Gentleman is a sort of pre-body odor smell - the early stages of natural man musk.

Cary Grant has such similar mannerisms in his different roles, like he has a distracting thought he's trying to ignore. I think it works. I like North by Northwest, or any Hitchcock.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast