Code of Conduct

Default Brand New Dior Homme (Silver Stem)

Dior Homme is a classy, well refined fragrance, that I fell in love with a few years ago. I owned a 1.7oz of the black stem, think it was a 2015 bottle, but unfortunately ended up selling it. I loved the smell and the way it made me feel but it just didn’t do it for me. So I recently saw a “Vintage” for a reasonable price and said why not! It was still in the box and wrapper! When I got it out, I was amazed at how nice and elegant the bottle looked, but one thing stood out to me.. if you look at the pics below, you can see the batch codes are scratched out for some reason, on the box and bottom of the bottle. This is not a “Is this real” post by no means, it is simply an appreciation post for such a lovely fragrance that I feel doesn’t get the proper love in the fragrance community. I am more than pleased to have this bottle front and center in my collection.

As far as the smell, well it opens with such a lovely blast of woods and iris, then calms down into a heavenly powdery woody scent. Can’t really comment on longevity since I’ve only had it for a couple of days. What are your thoughts about this scent? and what do you think they meant by scratching out the batch codes?

3FCE866C-D069-4561-8ED1-1D5F1138638E.jpg3C48FDA2-40CF-46C3-A6AB-4A46B71845FC.jpg2C006FE9-8A92-41A6-9268-9A81C4323099.jpg

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Brand New Dior Homme (Silver Stem)

What's important is that you love what you have! Congrats and enjoy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like all the versions of Dior Homme. I have silver stem, 2nd, and 3rd versions. I'm sort of into the third version at the moment, but I love the others as well.

This is the most modern smelling fragrance that I like a lot.

I have an old Fahrenheit that's the same, with the batch codes removed. I do not know why. Someone thought the batch codes were bad? They may have been crazy - just a guess.

Very nice find, enjoy it excellent fragrance Dior Homme has a sexy as hell presentation. I just received my back up bottle of current version black stem yesterday honestly can’t stop looking at it on the table lol excellent presentation 10/10.
    “To think I can go daily and not smell the same, while others go daily smelling of natural BO hahahaha!”

Freed from BN Institution

The drydown of this scent is wonderful, there was some vetiver that blended with the iris and vanilla. This formulation is the best definitely worth backing up if possible.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I like all the versions of Dior Homme. I have silver stem, 2nd, and 3rd versions. I'm sort of into the third version at the moment, but I love the others as well.

This is the most modern smelling fragrance that I like a lot.

I have an old Fahrenheit that's the same, with the batch codes removed. I do not know why. Someone thought the batch codes were bad? They may have been crazy - just a guess.
    Not sure why they would scratch it out but I think that gives it a mysterious vibe because I can’t tell what year it’s from lol

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The drydown of this scent is wonderful, there was some vetiver that blended with the iris and vanilla. This formulation is the best definitely worth backing up if possible.
    I agree. And the cooler weather really brings out the best in this fragrance

I've smelled silver and black stems, not much of a difference to me, subtle difference is likely due to aging.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    Not sure why they would scratch it out but I think that gives it a mysterious vibe because I can’t tell what year it’s from lol
    Can't be 100% on this, but I would presume the bottles were dumped into the grey market - a move from an authorised retailer which would presumably not best please Dior so they removed the batch codes to lower the possibility of identification. Re-wrapped them then afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    Can't be 100% on this, but I would presume the bottles were dumped into the grey market - a move from an authorised retailer which would presumably not best please Dior so they removed the batch codes to lower the possibility of identification. Re-wrapped them then afterwards.
    I believe you might be right. The wrapper did have the little "CD" sticker on top, I guess as a seal but it did look like it may have been opened at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    I believe you might be right. The wrapper did have the little "CD" sticker on top, I guess as a seal but it did look like it may have been opened at least once.
    Usually they open from the bottom side as it is less noticeable then reseal with clear glue.
    “To think I can go daily and not smell the same, while others go daily smelling of natural BO hahahaha!”

I'm a big Dior Homme aficionado, and I've long thought the hubbub about the formulation differences was overplayed. I have and have had several bottles of the original silver stem version, plus the two formulations that followed, and apart from that second version being maybe a bit thinner, this has remained Dior Homme the whole time. The main thing I notice with the original version is a bigger, drier blast of bergamot in the opening, giving the whole experience more sharpness and "lift" before it moves into its smoother, cacao-suede driven heart and dry down. But this difference only lasts at most 20 minutes. When not comparing the two side-by-side, it's tough to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I'm a big Dior Homme aficionado, and I've long thought the hubbub about the formulation differences was overplayed. I have and have had several bottles of the original silver stem version, plus the two formulations that followed, and apart from that second version being maybe a bit thinner, this has remained Dior Homme the whole time. The main thing I notice with the original version is a bigger, drier blast of bergamot in the opening, giving the whole experience more sharpness and "lift" before it moves into its smoother, cacao-suede driven heart and dry down. But this difference only lasts at most 20 minutes. When not comparing the two side-by-side, it's tough to notice.
    I agree. There are very subtle differences but nothing major I think. The opening of the silver stem its brighter I think but after a few moments they virtually are the same.

Silver stem version all the way. Worth tracking down, IMO. Modern formulations are very good, too. Can't recommend paying enormous sums for the vintage. . . but it does smell better, and the silver stem bottle is beautiful.

I stumbled across a bunch of vintage stock a few years ago, at a shopping mall on the U.S. east coast. I'm just guessing there's still vintage stock in stores, at regular retail prices, if you hunt for it. Of course I immediately bought a back-up bottle. Shoulda bought three back-ups. Damn.

Basenotes Plus

The scratching/removing of batch codes (and even other codes like V&R Secret Service codes) was/is common with grey market goods. Maybe to protect whoever the grey market seller is, so as to not cut off their supply line from official channel(s) or something. Basically so they won't get caught.
    Don't see it as much nowadays though maybe.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Versace Man by Versace

Wow! Learn something new everyday.. but that does make the most sense. Thanks!