Code of Conduct

Default Aaron Tarence Hughes's Oud

I recently (ish) got a sample of this and can find surprisingly little on this house or this perfume on the boards. The sample I have is extrait strength (notable in and of itself) and is a very weird take on a classic oud/rose - elements of chocolate and salt and the softest of soft roses just lingering here and there. It's definitely on the more "animalic" end of the oud spectrum, but in a very approachable way. Extremely well composed and interesting on a subtle level.

Curious if anyone else wears this particular oud formulation or knows more about this house?
    My current rotation:
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi & Paithaini by Penhaligons
    Heavy Hitters: Hyde by Hiram Green & Vi et Armis by Beaufort

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Aaron Tarence Hughes's Oud

Not familiar.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by justfoxie View Post
    Curious if anyone else wears this particular oud formulation or knows more about this house?
    Don't know his fragrances but saw him recently on a video with Chris aka Fragmental, where he rates some cheaper scents.
    He wasn't amused, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yQMDS-kY2o

Oh and of course, here's an interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pePLfMRCWA

Basenotes Plus

I like the sound of some of his fragrances, but looks like he only ships to the UK/US.

I'd be pretty keen to try out Tobacco Oud Vanilla.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Member

I recently discover that guy and, I have to say, he knows his stuff.
    He has his own YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ7...FBx1w5KQqRzMqA
    The way he does the reviews is very entertaining and the amount of knowledge he has is insane ... I've never seen someone describing in such details how a fragrance smells.
    He has a degree in chemistry btw and apparently he creates perfumes since a long time ... he opened his online shop quite recently as far as I know.
    Never had the chance to try one but I'm intrigued.

Yep, first post. Definitely seems like a reasonable first post. Definitely. 100% genuine. Completely, totally, utterly geniune. Nothing weird there whatsoever. Nope. All good.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Yep, first post. Definitely seems like a reasonable first post. Definitely. 100% genuine. Completely, totally, utterly geniune. Nothing weird there whatsoever. Nope. All good.
    Apologies if I've started getting into fragrance a month ago and apologies again if my first post here was about somebody who I don't personally know, but I think it's worth having a look into, since he's starting his own business and seems to be (having watched many of his YT videos) quite a decent person.
    Spoiler alert: I've got his discovery kit (spending £200 of my own money) and I don't personally like many of those, especially the Oud ones.
    The fact is I'm not used to that kind of Oud (real one), I guess I need to spend way more time testing fragrances.
    Even if I liked 3 out of 12 of his fragrances (2 were for free), I still recommend to check that guy out cos he is worth it.
    I guess I'll spend the next few days posting about how amazing Creed Aventus is or how many compliments Dior Sauvage got me, so with ~100 or more posts my opinions will be considered more.

The guy comes across as the biggest bullshitter on youtube who looks like he was severely bullied at school (not something to mock) and developed a compartmentalised alter-ego as a coping mechanism. In short, he's so far up his own backside while simultaneously talking out of it it's hard to tell his backside from his elbow half the time.

I've heard him say he wore Oud Wood a lot and loved it early on as a signature. I've then seen him sample Oud Wood in one of those videos from Chris as pretend to not know what it was. He comes across as weird, fake, and worse than that, duplicitous. The thing about liars is eventually they get caught out, and he didn't have to take long to trip himself up (if you couldnt already see through the guff he spouts when 'breaking down' fragrances).

That's on the basis of about 20 minutes in total of skipping through a few videos and just thinking 'wtf' over and over. He's like one big walking red flag of ego.

Maybe his fragrances are great though. Who knows. But I get shill vibes from you, for sure. And if not...well, more fool you for not seeing the blindingly obvious. Wouldn't be the first time someone's used this site to do that so who knows. I don't really care tbh, but there we go.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by StefanoLP View Post
    Apologies if I've started getting into fragrance a month ago and apologies again if my first post here was about somebody who I don't personally know, but I think it's worth having a look into, since he's starting his own business and seems to be (having watched many of his YT videos) quite a decent person.
    Spoiler alert: I've got his discovery kit (spending £200 of my own money) and I don't personally like many of those, especially the Oud ones.
    The fact is I'm not used to that kind of Oud (real one), I guess I need to spend way more time testing fragrances.
    Even if I liked 3 out of 12 of his fragrances (2 were for free), I still recommend to check that guy out cos he is worth it.
    I guess I'll spend the next few days posting about how amazing Creed Aventus is or how many compliments Dior Sauvage got me, so with ~100 or more posts my opinions will be considered more.
    So you've only been into fragrances for a month, and yet you seem to know the inside jokes and how cynical people are about Dior and Aventus? You're not good at this lying thing.