Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Question about Aramis 900

I wore the vintage in the early 80's, it was one of my first scents and I loved it. Does anyone who remembers it know the current formulation ? How do they compare ?

This was mine-
    900.jpg
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Default Re: Question about Aramis 900

I have a current and I had male family members who wore the old one. I can’t speak to how strong it is or if anything is missing but when I bought a cheap bottle recently, I uncapped it and said, “oh yeah, I remember this.” So take that with a grain of sand but there’s at least some similarity.
    Currently wearing: Norne by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I have a current and I had male family members who wore the old one. I can’t speak to how strong it is or if anything is missing but when I bought a cheap bottle recently, I uncapped it and said, “oh yeah, I remember this.” So take that with a grain of sand but there’s at least some similarity.
    thanks, some similarity is better than nothing.

It's its recognizable self, but it's much weaker (probably lack of oakmoss or the like).
    At this point, one might even consider the sister Aromatics Elixir, which is itself weaker than it was, but stronger than the current Aramis 900.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It's its recognizable self, but it's much weaker (probably lack of oakmoss or the like).
    At this point, one might even consider the sister Aromatics Elixir, which is itself weaker than it was, but stronger than the current Aramis 900.

cacio
    Thanks Cacio, are you saying that these two are very similar, related scents ? I'm happy to try it, thanks again.

Yes, Aramis 900 is clearly derived from Aromatics Elixir (relative to AE, it is less spicy and more floral). Estee Lauder did this for other perfumes as well-some feminines were repurposed for masculine use.

cacio

Not quite as rich, complex, strong as vintage but still clearly the same scent, IMO.

Still good!
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Hi Joe, I have the current Aramis 900 and it's a very nice fragrance. Really enjoyable to wear for me and certainly a bit different to the usual male fragrances of its time. I've also got Havana and New West from the Gentlemen's Collection and they all have great smell, projection and longevity in my experience. The only one I can compare with vintage is Havana and I can honestly say, though lacking ever so slightly in depth, the current version is pretty damn faithful to the original. As for the 900 I can certainly recommend it. All the best.

Basenotes Junkie

Yes, Aramis 900 is clearly derived from Aromatics Elixir (relative to AE, it is less spicy and more floral). Estee Lauder did this for other perfumes as well-some feminines were repurposed for masculine use.

cacio
    Cacio, wow, I would have thought 900 was older than AE but your're saying it was derived from AE ? Interesting, thanks. The only Lauder I know is White Linen, which I like.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Still good!
    haha and you are wearing it today, there is no "green with envy " emoticon, sadly.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Hi Joe, I have the current Aramis 900 and it's a very nice fragrance. Really enjoyable to wear for me and certainly a bit different to the usual male fragrances of its time. I've also got Havana and New West from the Gentlemen's Collection and they all have great smell, projection and longevity in my experience. The only one I can compare with vintage is Havana and I can honestly say, though lacking ever so slightly in depth, the current version is pretty damn faithful to the original. As for the 900 I can certainly recommend it. All the best.
    Good to know Derbyman, as an old favourite I'd love to acquire it again. Can't wait for Havana to get here in January with 3rd Man Caron. ) Thinking of trying Tuscany soon too. ) So love the House of Aramis.

....and another one

Aromatics Elixir came two years earlier than Aramis 900. Same perfumer.

Aramis (the original one, not Aramis 900) came out in the 60s. Same perfumer, but quite different, more of an animalic leather. In turn, Aramis (marketed to men) minus the animalic musks led to Azuree (marketed to women).

White Linen is a nice aldehydic floral. This one was not turned into a masculine. Other Estee Lauder translations were Aliage-Devin and Cinnabar-JHL.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Aromatics Elixir came two years earlier than Aramis 900. Same perfumer.

Aramis (the original one, not Aramis 900) came out in the 60s. Same perfumer, but quite different, more of an animalic leather. In turn, Aramis (marketed to men) minus the animalic musks led to Azuree (marketed to women).

White Linen is a nice aldehydic floral. This one was not turned into a masculine. Other Estee Lauder translations were Aliage-Devin and Cinnabar-JHL.

cacio
    Cacio, thank you. Seriously, sorry to be such an ignoramus but are you saying now that AE smells more like the original Aramis 900 than the current version of 900 does?

If so, I'd be onto it like a rash.

No, I didn't mean that it smells closer, but that it is similar and it lasts much longer.

Still, Aromatics Elixir shouldn't be difficult to smell somewhere, so if you see it, give it a spray.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'm a fan of the modern one. The rose/geranium note is brighter than in the original
    oh look, I have a signature

I think it could be stated that most Aramis Gentlemen's Collection reissues (the new bottles) are either similar enough to the originals or decent modern adaptations.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne