Code of Conduct
o

Default Do you reuse single-use syringes for decanting?

I bought a couple of syringes for decanting samples. The label on the syringes clearly indicate they are for single-use. Should I be observing this warning?

I have found similar syringes without a "single-use" label on them and wonder what the difference is.

Thanks.

Basenotes Member Finelikeanoyster's Avatar

Default Re: Do you reuse single-use syringes for decanting?

by my knowledge, single use syringes is when you use whith blood , medical pourposes, with needles etc. This warning is to avoid infections and diseases, if you're using only for perfumes, ACs, EOs, don't have a problem to reuse, however undiluted materials, or powerful scents can leave a scent at the syringe, and you can have a problems to reuse. You can wash whith alcohol between measurements etc.
    Currently wearing: Tai Winds by Avon

You can reuse it but you will have difficulties with it... In my opinion the narrow diameter of the needle will get clogged up very quickly by many materials (you can use it only once) and for some because of their viscosity they simply will not work .. It is better to use pasteur pipettes. Although to add a very small amount, of thin materials, a syringe may be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
    You can reuse it but you will have difficulties with it... In my opinion the narrow diameter of the needle will get clogged up very quickly by many materials (you can use it only once) and for some because of their viscosity they simply will not work .. It is better to use pasteur pipettes. Although to add a very small amount, of thin materials, a syringe may be useful.
    Thanks. So what about I use reuse the syringe but change the needles with each use? Like but the following kinds of needles for replacement?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978438776.html

I am also considering using disposal pipettes though the issue I have with them is that you can't make precise measurements using them.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by abcd1234 View Post
    the issue I have with them is that you can't make precise measurements using them.
    The issue is NEVER with the pipette, for precise measurements.

The issue of precision always lies with your SCALE.

All Perfumery is done by weight.

Anybody who tells you differently is a fool.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

The warning for syringes for single use is for medical purposes only in order to prevent infection. The rubber inside them also deteriorates over time. As Paul said, the accuracy is given by your scale, the syringe or pipette is only a vehicle to get to the scale.
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

In most cases an immediate three times rinse with 91% rubbing alcohol (just drawing into the plunger fully and pushing it all out) will clean the syringe well enough for repeated use, but when unsure it can't hurt before use to pull the plunger and examine it closely, including smelling it, to see if it has swelled or acquired an odor.

I would highly object to any seller who provided me an essential oil that clogged a needle, or absolute which did so if liquid or did so upon dilution with ethanol. It has never happened to me.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 28th October 2019 at 03:51 PM.

Washing with alcohol does not seem to work for me though.
    Currently wearing: Miyako by Auphorie

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    The issue is NEVER with the pipette, for precise measurements.

The issue of precision always lies with your SCALE.

All Perfumery is done by weight.

Anybody who tells you differently is a fool.
    Paul can you please explain this part. I am decanting a few ml for someone who wants a sample. Thus, a scale doesn't make sense in this instance?

If that person expects 20ml then I should be giving him 20ml? Thanks.

Paul can you please explain this part. I am decanting a few ml for someone who wants a sample. Thus, a scale doesn't make sense in this instance?

That's not a situation requiring precision. So long as you oversupply, if it's 20.1 or 20.2, your friend isn't likely to complain. I'd probably reach for a volumetric cylinder.

I'm sorry, I probably inattentively read the title of this topic and I thought that here we are talking about the compilation of perfume compositions. I think that for decanting perfume samples you can use these syringes repeatedly and act as it will be convenient for you.

Single use syringes were developed to protect the person performing the injection from accidental needle stick injuries( about a million needle stick injuries are reported every year just in the United States) that could result in the person administrating the injection contracting HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C as well as many other nasty things that will permanently change your quality of life when you are in contact with bodily fluids of other people. Nurses, paramedics and lab technicians are on the front line as well as unsuspecting people(specially children) that step on a discarded needle while walking on a beach. If you don't depress the plunger fully retraction will not occur but that will leave material in the syringe barrel, a big waste of money. You are better off using a basic syringe. You can still buy glass barrel syringes that can be cleaned in alcohol and reused.
    Last edited by Johnnyattar; 3rd December 2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: double use of word