Code of Conduct

Default 2010-2013 Aventus - is it all going bad??

Just what the title says. There is a lot of speculation that the pre-2014 reform juice (which had more natural ingredients?) can, and indeed will spoil - even if its stored properly - just from age. A lot of discussion on this subject in the batch thread.

So I wanted to pull this topic out of the batch thread to get some first hand opinions and experience with it. Is your 2010-2013 Aventus starting to spoil? Turning sour? Losing strength or top notes?? Even if it is NOT starting to turn, do you think - or expect - it will? Or do you think that Aventus is pretty stable and - if stored properly - will last 10 or 15 years (or more)?

I own a 14L01 batch which I adore and I'm debating on shelling out some pretty serious cheddar on a 2013 bottle. But if those pre 2014 batches are subject to turning due simply to age (they are now at least 6 years old or more, which is when people are claiming they will start to turn), are they really worth the premium price they command?

Default Re: 2010-2013 Aventus - is it all going bad??

depends how is was stored, when the bottle was first sprayed and how much has been used etc. i have a few older batches and some smell perfect while others still smell fantastic but are noticably more mature and 'dirty'. the freshest bottles are generally the best, most balanced and clearly the most rare/valuable in this state. one thing is for sure none of them are generally worth the money they've been bid up to on the resale market by raffles, creed groups, opportunists etc.

however i wouldn't put any money on them being much good in 10-15 years from now. it's that birch note that seems to spoil things after enough time, whatever you get i'd buy to use in the immediate future and not as investments.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Wood by Collistar

Well I wouldn't be buying it as an investment. ("Investing" in fragrances is really dumb IMO)

I'd be buying it to wear, but I'd be worried that with ~300ml of Aventus in my wardrobe, I wouldn't even come close to finishing the bottle before it started to turn.

Good topic I have a 16 and 17 batch both full bottles and at the pace I'm going it'll be at least a decade before I finish. Been wondering the same thing myself

My 13Q01 batch is still going strong, lasts 3-4 days on my clothes lol.

My 10G01C has turned bad. But I have 5-6 other bottles from the 2010-2013 period and they're all mostly pretty good.

some smell noticably more mature than others. it really is a bottle by bottle situation. the stuff that is still fresh is pretty damn good. 2012s tend to get rather bbq-esque after a while, 2011 and 2013 are excellent while still fresh. 2011 is super heavy while some of the 2013 are well balanced, a bit lighter and more wearable day to day.
    Last edited by wilfred; 12th November 2019 at 10:42 PM.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Wood by Collistar

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    My 10G01C has turned bad. But I have 5-6 other bottles from the 2010-2013 period and they're all mostly pretty good.
    "Mostly pretty good", isnt the most shining endorsement. lol

So do you think that any of those other bottles you have are starting to turn, even a little bit? Or have lost anything? If they haven't, do you think they will at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    "Mostly pretty good", isnt the most shining endorsement. lol

So do you think that any of those other bottles you have are starting to turn, even a little bit? Or have lost anything? If they haven't, do you think they will at some point?
    Yes, I think some of them - particularly the 2013s actually - are starting to have their pineapple note smell.........different, lol. A bit sour, a bit musty. Not "bad" though - not yet.

And yes, I think 10 years from now, the 2010-2013 bottles will be that much scarcer, with some batches going bad, or at least the oxidation of half full or less bottles will start to get to them.

Luckily my 99% full 11Z01 smells fantastic, and I keep it far away from light, heat, humidity.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Is your 2010-2013 Aventus starting to spoil? Turning sour? Losing strength or top notes?? Even if it is NOT starting to turn, do you think - or expect - it will? Or do you think that Aventus is pretty stable and - if stored properly - will last 10 or 15 years (or more)?
    My original release (purchased when it first came on the market) is just fine and will be that way after I am long gone.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Wish some other peeps who own batches from these years would chime in.