Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Question What quantity of fragrances do you have to have that requires you to prove it?

Question: At what quantity of fragrances a person claims to own has to show pictures of them in order to prove it?

100?
    200?
    300?
    400?
    500?
    600?
    700?
    1000?
    etc.

Or does it even matter? What if they are embellishing? Does it really matter? Why does anyone have to prove anything?

What is the driving force behind having someone show pictures in order to prove it?

Sorry, I'm just perplexed when I see this come up often...
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What quantity of fragrances do you have to have that requires you to prove it?

Only people who feel they need to prove it to satiate insecurity will require pictures from others at numbers lower than one can practically store in a home (even a large estate). If someone said they had a number larger than what is realistically feasible to store (like 100,000+), that may be call for some evidence, but even then most people wouldn't really care outside curiosity.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Avon for Men by Avon

Default Re: What quantity of fragrances do you have to have that requires you to prove it?

None of the above? It doesn't matter. I can recall once that a new face around here made several appeal-to-authority claims on account of having a ridiculous collection. Not sure where you're seeing this come up often (certainly not here?).
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleCars View Post
    Sorry, I'm just perplexed when I see this come up often...
    Not sure I've seen this come up ever?

Freed from BN Institution

What is the driving force behind having someone show pictures in order to prove it?
    Showing pictures is by personal discretion, no one is obligated to do so.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Nobody has to prove anything, but if there are doubts of what you claim and you want to be taken seriously by this comunity it might be clever to do so!
    Currently wearing: Chakai by Rituals

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Neither have I. I have no idea what OP is talking about.
    Are they talking about the photo thread where people are happy to share photos of their collection voluntarily?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Are they talking about the photo thread where people are happy to share photos of their collection voluntarily?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/470...=1#post4731411

I think this is what the OP is referring to? That's the only instance I can think of.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

i couldnt care less and dont feel that i have to prove anything to anyone or that anyone has to prove anything to me.
    whats that stink?!

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    Neither do I....
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

...this is all about this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/470...es-of-All-Time

It’s the internet. Believe at your own risk

Basenotes Plus

This is a forum for fragrance geeks. If anyone claims to own 1000+ bottles of fragrance I’m inclined to give him the benefit of doubt. No pictures necessary. In fact, knowing BNers who have > 2000 bottles in their personal collection, 1000 seems modest in comparison. The ‘challenge’ happens when the person say things that cast doubts over the veracity of his claim as the OP of an earlier thread discovered.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    i couldnt care less and dont feel that i have to prove anything to anyone or that anyone has to prove anything to me.
    Agreed, it’s only a hobby and like any site bound to have trolling here and there. Treat em as if they don’t exist (trolls) and go about your daily business on basenotes!
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo

Banned

Weird question. I’ve never thought about it.

I would think only if there’s some kind of “who has the biggest collection” contest going on. Otherwise, who cares? Honor system.

I wouldn’t care if other people owned 1 or 10,000 bottles. I only care about my collection and my taste. What others own, like, dislike is pretty much irrelevant unless I’m trying to sell to them or purchase from them
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Incense Oud
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Layton / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Baccarat Rouge 540
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

I would say it would only be the type of person who draws suspicious unto themselves.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I own at most 5-8. Hednic and some in 1000s. Many in 100s and overall I don’t care about how many people have or if they post pictures. I’m just here to discuss the scents and am glad so many people do have a great wealth of knowledge where they can help! Strange question
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Wearing Perfume Right Now

It might be the same one or two people every time who are looking for evidence, I'm not sure. I hadn't noticed it being too wide spread.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

This is my real collection........

Lynx.jpg

But in all honesty....I don't really care about what others do and do not own.
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Parfum & Dior Homme - Dior
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger Pour Homme EDP - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP - MFK
    17/17 Richwood - Xerjoff
    Coromandel EDP - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Musc Ravageur - FM
    Baraonda/Pardon - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus- PDM
    Pure Tonka - TM
    Currently wearing: Remember Me by Jovoy

Question: At what quantity of fragrances a person claims to own has to show pictures of them in order to prove it?
    63 pages? http://www.basenotes.net/threads/398...ts-Edition-VII

Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Basenotes Plus

Outside of a few formal arenas—science, law, journalism, etc.—nobody has to prove anything to anyone. But if stating what you have comes across as bragging, people will ask you to. If you’re going to make big claims, then you should be prepared to be doubted; and if you really care about being doubted, then you should be prepared to back it up. It’s not an obligation, but why bother making a dubious claim if you can’t be bothered to show evidence for it?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    My sentiments exactly

Basenotes Plus

2173 is the number.

2174 requires an affidavit.

Next: 3907 requires photos with an affidavit from a neutral third party.

7332 requires 3 impartial observers with a certified hacker-proof camera and a chain of custody on the photos.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    This is my real collection........

Lynx.jpg

But in all honesty....I don't really care about what others do and do not own.
    You by chance have the batch codes for those... a lot of variation in smell with the modern batches.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo

I'm fairly certain that the quantity is equal to the number of muscle cars one must own where it is required to have an avatar of said muscle car to prove that it is indeed owned.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    2173 is the number.

2174 requires an affidavit.

Next: 3907 requires photos with an affidavit from a neutral third party.

7332 requires 3 impartial observers with a certified hacker-proof camera and a chain of custody on the photos.
    This, and I'm not sure why these standards aren't in the Code of Conduct by now.

I'd add that in the event of any wardrobe addition, the purchaser may file for Proof of Ownership by providing the receipt and shipping details to the Olfactory Standards Board for certification. If all purchases have followed the proper Board Certification process, the owner is exempt for the above proof requirements and may simply download a current Wardrobe Certificate of Good Standing to settle any disputes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I don't care. I trust everybody.
    I don't bet on that, so there is no risk, it cost me nothing.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron