Code of Conduct
o

Default Concentration of White Linen: Parfum or Eau de Parfum?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so please do pardon me if there's any common practice that I've failed to adhere to. Apology in advance.

I've been wearing White Linen for several years and to be very honest, I consider it the emperor of all aldehyde-centred perfume along with perhaps only Chanel No 22. However, as I began my quest for a more vintage rotation for White Linen, I found myself completely lost and perplexed at the concentration remarks. I have made the following observation which is far from satisfactory, nor is it backed by any solid evidence. As such, I wonder if there's any insight one could offer, on the use of difference concentration remarks and the evolution of such on White Linen.

My observation:

1. The current release has one and only one concentration: Eau de Parfum.
    2. There used to be a period of time when the term Parfum was used for White Linen.
    3. This period of time appears to predate the current release.
    3. Many bottles marked Parfum came in evidently larger sizes than the ones usually seen of Parfum, incl. 60ml & 75ml.
    4. There are also Parfum bottles, albeit rarer, that came in more conventional 7ml splash bottle and were settled in more extravagent boxes than the aforementioned larger-sized Parfum.

My guess:

1. Estee Lauder had originally released only Parfum both in the sense of name and of concentration.
    2. Later they simply renamed Parfum to Eau de Parfum to follow the norm of the market, but the concentration remained the same.
    3. Some point after that they introduced a new Parfum (the smaller-sized ones) which is higher in concentration than the original Parfum.

Again, many thanks.
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Concentration of White Linen: Parfum or Eau de Parfum?

Hello Kevin Memo-

Welcome to Basenotes! I'm happy that you decided to join in and post a question.

I also enjoy vintage White Linen. I have a large "Parfum Spray" and a small splash vintage mini of Parfum. I think small splash bottles labeled "Parfum" and "Perfume" were issued from the start. I believe that "Parfum Spray" and "Parfum" represent different formuations but I am not 100% certain. The Parfum Spray feels like an EDP. The Parfum mini feels somewhat richer but not dramatically so.

Vintage Estee Lauder perfumes sometimes feature odd nomenclature such as vintage Aliage which is called a "Sport Cologne" and is not at all like a cologne.

If you want vintage, I would look for boxes with "Parfum Spray," no estimated "e" volume sign, and a short list of ingredients for vintage. Newer sprays are now labeled as Eau de Parfum.
    Currently wearing: Amarige by Givenchy

Basenotes Plus

Interesting.

I have only ever worn White Linen from a vintage mini bottle, marked Parfum. It smelled definitely more intense than the Spray on shelves.

Have you read this article about WL here: http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...july-2015.html
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Grev by Slumberhouse

Hi grayspoole,

Thanks for replying! Delighted to join the forum and the discussion

And thank you for the input. Yes, I've also suspected that Parfum Spray might just be the same (or intended as the same) as a regular Eau de Parfum. It's rather difficult to reason that a 60ml pure parfum (in terms of concentration) would come in mass production (judging from its abundance on eBay). I have never tried the 7ml splash Parfum and it's a relief to learn that it's not that different lol.

Anyway, I guess I'll just go for Parfum Spray which we can safely assume to be predateing the current release. Along with the estimation sign, the ingredient list and possibly the bar code, one should be able to pick out some actual vintages

And oh yes, the peculiar names we've seen in Estee Lauder releases. I remembered Azuree used to come in Pure Fragrance Spray and Clinique Happy was also a Parfum Spray. The former most certain lives up to its name, lasting for a whole day with more than discreet sillage with two sprays. O! If only all houses were to be honest about their concentration and to stop calling a mere cologne blend "Eau de Parfum"...

Cheers!

Hi mikeperez23,

Thanks for the link! It was an informative read. Been using Raider of the Lost Scents mainly as a reference for deciphering batch codes, haven't noticed this side of it.

I guess the Parfum you've smelt is the actual parfum concentration, hence the matching size, sealing thread and packaging. The Parfum Spray might just be another invented term from Estee Lauder... but now you've made me want to try Parfum. I'll go for an eBay-hunt perhaps.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Interesting.

I have only ever worn White Linen from a vintage mini bottle, marked Parfum. It smelled definitely more intense than the Spray on shelves.

Have you read this article about WL here: http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...july-2015.html
    Hi mikeperez-

Thanks for the link to that Raiders article--I hadn't seen it before.

I have not tested the current EDP, so I can't compare it to anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been weakened. The vintage mini parfum I have does seem richer than the Parfum Spray, but not as much as I expected. Of course, I am applying much less of the splash parfum than the vintage Parfum Spray. I need to do a more scientific retest and report back.
    Currently wearing: Amarige by Givenchy

Basenotes Plus

All this talk has made me want to revisit both White Linen and 'Out of Africa'. I don't believe I've experienced either since they were both new on the shelves.

As a youth I didn't appreciate any Lauder scents, but the older I get, the more I find to love amongst them. I don't think I'd ever heard of Celadon until that Raiders article, and now I'm dying to find and try it, based on the name alone.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Memo View Post
    Hi mikeperez23,

Thanks for the link! It was an informative read. Been using Raider of the Lost Scents mainly as a reference for deciphering batch codes, haven't noticed this side of it.

I guess the Parfum you've smelt is the actual parfum concentration, hence the matching size, sealing thread and packaging. The Parfum Spray might just be another invented term from Estee Lauder... but now you've made me want to try Parfum. I'll go for an eBay-hunt perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi mikeperez-

Thanks for the link to that Raiders article--I hadn't seen it before.

I have not tested the current EDP, so I can't compare it to anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been weakened. The vintage mini parfum I have does seem richer than the Parfum Spray, but not as much as I expected. Of course, I am applying much less of the splash parfum than the vintage Parfum Spray. I need to do a more scientific retest and report back.
    You're very welcome.

I have a soft spot for White Linen and well...for most of the classic Lauder scents. I dig their vibe.

I always wanted to buy White Linen Body Lotion or Body Cream and wear that - to see how it wore on my skin. I don't think they make it anymore but maybe it's on eBay...
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Grev by Slumberhouse