Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Egoiste?

o

Default Re: Egoiste?

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    Oh, and if you're interested in an alternative, Hermes Equipage Geranium does Platinum Egoiste better.
    I have actually never tested Platinum Egoiste, so can't compare. But I agree that Equipage Geranium is an excellent scent.
    Currently wearing: Fate Woman by Amouage

Me Wesr thank you. I think DHI may be too vanilla. Cinnamon and nutmeg and sweet tobacco seem to be what my mind thinks it desires. I like that sharpness of CdG 2Man. I am also thinking a honey scent might work better than vanilla. Honey and sweet tobacco and a little spice perhaps

I will go smell Egoiste in Nashville around Thanksgiving.

Got a small sample of Egoiste from Nordstroms. Have had it on for an hour now. First impression was meh. Really. Could not really make out any particular note and it did not project. Now after an hour, it has settled down and it is extremely pleasant. Which for me is saying that it does not stand out. Sure,could be a dumb reach, but typically, workdays, I apply it and 30 minutes or so later, I am in my car. I want a scent to envelop me. Lubin's Idole EdT did that for me years ago, and sure, it lasted until lunch, but the ride to work was so enjoyable.

I get no rose, no cinnamon for sure, and really, no Sandalwood. Since my wife got it for me, I will have to ask her but really, it is just a background sort of scent. I literally am getting no distinct notes

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I get no rose, no cinnamon for sure, and really, no Sandalwood. Since my wife got it for me, I will have to ask her but really, it is just a background sort of scent. I literally am getting no distinct notes
    No cinnamon? Check your nose or check the sample.

If you didn't get it yourself to know, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something else, perhaps even Platinum Egoiste, which is NOT the same. Meh response? Sounds like Platinum Egoiste.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Egoiste gets sour, rancid on my skin after a while. Disgusting. I’d go with Bois des Iles instead. Try Valentino Uomo and its variations for a Dior Homme-like smell.

Got a small sample of Egoiste from Nordstroms. Have had it on for an hour now. First impression was meh. Really. Could not really make out any particular note and it did not project. Now after an hour, it has settled down and it is extremely pleasant. Which for me is saying that it does not stand out. Sure,could be a dumb reach, but typically, workdays, I apply it and 30 minutes or so later, I am in my car. I want a scent to envelop me. Lubin's Idole EdT did that for me years ago, and sure, it lasted until lunch, but the ride to work was so enjoyable.

My Nordstroms near my house do not sell original Egoiste just the platinum version so maybe you just received that one.

Sent on mobile - sorry for errors.

Quote Originally Posted by psawjack View Post
    My Nordstroms near my house do not sell original Egoiste just the platinum version so maybe you just received that one.

Sent on mobile - sorry for errors.
    I had the Platinum version and to me, it had a metallic/celery note. Nope, this one is not piercing at all. I'll double check with my wife, she said she sprayed the sample herself from the store bottle into the little sample vial. Smells a little better now 5 hours later, but still, no projection and I do not detect cinnamon

Strange description for Egoiste, but everything is possible. People have mentioned reformulations, so who knows.

I love Egoiste, but if you are interested in the Dior Homme DNA, I highly recommend you try Dior Homme Parfum.

It is by far the most masculine of the Dior Homme line, deeper, darker, and richer than any of its "siblings". Its a beautiful leather/sandalwood/iris fragrance with some other woods and a very nice (but barely detectable) rose note. Amazing, 1 spray performance that lasts for days. 5 stars and one of my all time favorite colder-weather scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I love Egoiste, but if you are interested in the Dior Homme DNA, I highly recommend you try Dior Homme Parfum.

It is by far the most masculine of the Dior Homme line, deeper, darker, and richer than any of its "siblings". Its a beautiful leather/sandalwood/iris fragrance with some other woods and a very nice (but barely detectable) rose note. Amazing, 1 spray performance that lasts for days. 5 stars and one of my all time favorite colder-weather scents.

You know, I just mildly enjoyed Dior Homme and Dior Homme sport was just a tad better. If I order samples some place that has the Parfum, I'll get it to go along with whatever else I am sampling

OK, wearing the last bit of a sample I got from Nordstroms. As usual, first application, it is nothing I can make out as far as notes and it seems like it is rancid. Two hours later, it is nicer. Now 5 hours into it, I smell a spicyness. Not really smelling a sandlewood base, nor creaminess. I smell it, and at this stage it seems it projects about the same as Tom Ford Noir Extreme.

I love Chanel as a house, but I am thinking I am trying too hard to want to like this, as opposed to liking it on its own? It is not a comforting scent, not on me anyways, nor does it give me feelings of happiness, or feeling special, or feelings that it is interesting.

Freed from BN Institution

OK, wearing the last bit of a sample I got from Nordstroms. As usual, first application, it is nothing I can make out as far as notes and it seems like it is rancid. Two hours later, it is nicer. Now 5 hours into it, I smell a spicyness. Not really smelling a sandlewood base, nor creaminess. I smell it, and at this stage it seems it projects about the same as Tom Ford Noir Extreme.

I love Chanel as a house, but I am thinking I am trying too hard to want to like this, as opposed to liking it on its own? It is not a comforting scent, not on me anyways, nor does it give me feelings of happiness, or feeling special, or feelings that it is interesting.
    I actually hate the reformulated versions of Egoiste, the modern juice that I have a large decant from is from around 2014. Modern Egoiste is not worth investing in a full bottle of IMO.

I recommend the vintage bottles, bottles that have EDT above the Chanel. Those bottles are a lot more smoother overall and you can detect the sandalwood at the base.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I actually hate the reformulated versions of Egoiste, the modern juice that I have a large decant from is from around 2014. Modern Egoiste is not worth investing in a full bottle of IMO.

I recommend the vintage bottles, bottles that have EDT above the Chanel. Those bottles are a lot more smoother overall and you can detect the sandalwood at the base.
    I thought I was the only one. I just sold a 2017 or 2018 bottle. It smelled wonderful the first 10 minutes...Just like most Egoiste... but after the 10 mins it literally disappears into a skin scent. It had the Egoiste thing going but did not have the fullness I was after.

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    I thought I was the only one. I just sold a 2017 or 2018 bottle. It smelled wonderful the first 10 minutes...Just like most Egoiste... but after the 10 mins it literally disappears into a skin scent. It had the Egoiste thing going but did not have the fullness I was after.
    Thank you. This clarifies it for me. I like the House of Chanel, but I should not have to find a reason to want to make Egoiste work for me. The first 30 minutes on, it is a jumbled mess,but it projects. You could tell me it has a strong citrus opening, or cinnamon opening, and I honestly could not pick it out. Now, 4 or 5 hours into it, it is a skin scent and yes, I get something nice. Now if Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche is like this, that is, it does not project and it is a skin scent after an hour and you have to really sniff it to smell it after 4 or 5 hours, I will pass. Now, Antaeus and Coromandel, they behave like I want - project and last all throughout the day.

Which one is the one that is at Ulta and Macy's? The Platinum or Concentree? I get them mixed up.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Which one is the one that is at Ulta and Macy's? The Platinum or Concentree? I get them mixed up.
    Platinum.

Freed from BN Institution

Now if Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche is like this, that is, it does not project and it is a skin scent after an hour and you have to really sniff it to smell it after 4 or 5 hours, I will pass. Now, Antaeus and Coromandel, they behave like I want - project and last all throughout the day.
    Consider the Allure Homme Edition Blanche Cologne Concentree EDT bottles. The performance is slightly better than the recent PDT bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    The Concentree isn't in any stores anywhere. That should make it easy to remember which one is where.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

I received a sample of Egoiste from a fellow Basenoter and it says 5-10 years old. Compared to the sample from Nordstrom’s this opens so much better. Not a jumbled mess I smell cinnamon trying to peek through. Let’s see how this works.

If my Nordie’s sample was literally the last sprays from a display bottle at the counter could that have been an effect on why I thought my Nordie sample was rancid ?

Testers can certainly go off. The perfume that remains in the plastic tube can always react badly. And testers could have been kept in bad conditions, under warm lights.

However, as you have seen, opinions differ on how this perfume has fared, so I recommend smelling the current version before buying blindly.