Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Egoiste?

o

Default Egoiste?

Dilemna: Wife loves smell of TOm Ford Noir Extreme and I like its opening. Wears and projects great. Dior Homme, prefer the smell but it does not project anything on me. Have not smelled Dior Homme Intense but I read up on it and it is more highly thought of. Suppossed to project more and last longer, maybe outdoing the TFNE

Smelled Egoiste Platinum Did ok, better than Allure Homme. But the opening, I get a celery note. Egoiste is hard to find. May be a bit powdery on drydown?

Tom Ford Black Orchid parfum, no, but heck no. Maybe EdT is better.

ANyone able to compare or contrast any of these? Right now, tempted to get DHI blind, or Egoiste or TF Black Orchid edt

Default Re: Egoiste?

this are all very different from each other, the only one i like is original egoiste.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Dior Homme Intense, roughly speaking, is Dior Homme plus a lot of vanilla. So a more gourmand, warmer, and long lasting version of DH.

Egoiste is quite different from Platinum Egoiste. Sandalwoody, ie warm, sweetish, vanilla. Projects and lasts very well on me. You should check dept stores like Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Saks or the like, where it is usually sold (it is however not sold at Macy's or Sephora).

I'd say the other ones you cite seem more typically modern masculine, ie more woody, perhaps a bit sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Dior Homme Intense, roughly speaking, is Dior Homme plus a lot of vanilla. So a more gourmand, warmer, and long lasting version of DH.

Egoiste is quite different from Platinum Egoiste. Sandalwoody, ie warm, sweetish, vanilla. Projects and lasts very well on me. You should check dept stores like Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Saks or the like, where it is usually sold (it is however not sold at Macy's or Sephora).

I'd say the other ones you cite seem more typically modern masculine, ie more woody, perhaps a bit sharper.
    Thank you. Memphis has a Nordstrom Rack. But no Saks or Bloomies. Black Orchid EdP is way too floral. Dior Homme is nice but light. Got to revisit Noir Extreme. Not wanting a full on winter scent as I wear Antaeus and Coromandel. Though Antaeus smelled good the other day when the high was 64. I do like Chanel. Tried Hermes Bel Ami but it was not me. Got to be like a leather scent and I have never done well with that. Don’t know if I should visit Rocobar or Equipage

Or
    Maybe something Amber. Like Ambre Sultan or Arabie. Tried to like Caravelle Epicee

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Dilemna: Wife loves smell of TOm Ford Noir Extreme and I like its opening. Wears and projects great. Dior Homme, prefer the smell but it does not project anything on me. Have not smelled Dior Homme Intense but I read up on it and it is more highly thought of. Suppossed to project more and last longer, maybe outdoing the TFNE

Smelled Egoiste Platinum Did ok, better than Allure Homme. But the opening, I get a celery note. Egoiste is hard to find. May be a bit powdery on drydown?

ANyone able to compare or contrast any of these? Right now, tempted to get DHI blind, or Egoiste or TF Black Orchid edt
    Get Egoiste. Way better than the others, except Dior Homme / Intense.

Egoiste is not going to be like all the other sweet Tom Ford stuff you've been testing...

It and other classic Chanel frags like Antaeus and PM EdT have been on my to-buy list for a while, just need to find out of the country again.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'd recommend Egoiste over the others also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I like Platinum Egoiste the most but I do appreciate the original Egoiste for what it is. If I lived in a cooler climate I could pull of Egoiste better. Platinum is a totally different and has a floral metallic vibe that I love!

Egoiste is currently my go to bed time fragrance. It's so warm and cozy I feel like I sleep better with it on.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    +1

I see DHI as a bit more casual, Egoiste a bit more dressy. Both are very good.

Oh, and if you're interested in an alternative, Hermes Equipage Geranium does Platinum Egoiste better.

I wore Black Ordhid EdP on one arm to dinner and Dior Homme on the other. BO had projection but neither of us cared for the scent. Will wear up the last bit of Egoiste Platinum tomorrow. Someone mentioned a metallic vibe. That must be my celery I am getting

As to Egoiste, does it have an overtly lavender vibe? I don’t want it to be barbershop-like. I do like spicy and even cinnamon and/or nutmeg. A somewhat vanilla and sandalwood vase sounds ok. I had worn Imperial Oppoponax and the like.

I Might revisit the Noir Extreme. I wanted to like Allure Homme but the projection disappointed me

If you like Noir Extreme, I'd suggest trying Noir Pour Femme too. It replaces the smokey, nutty elements of Extreme with more vanilla. Delicious. I can pull it off just fine as a guy.

I don't detect lavender in the regular Egoiste, nor does it remind me of barbershop.

I don't detect lavender in the regular Egoiste, nor does it remind me of barbershop.
    Barbershops dont smell like lavender to me.
    I've never understood the comparison, its more like Pinaud talc to me.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Lavender was used in fougeres, and old style fougeres are often associated with barbershop. But I agree with you, I don't associate lavender per se with barbershops. It's more the white musk, powdery, tonka aspect of fougeres.

cacio

Freed from BN Institution

My pick would be the Egoiste over the others, be sure to get an earlier formulation of it. DHI is another good choice worth sampling.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Dior Homme is also good.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by psawjack View Post
    Egoiste is currently my go to bed time fragrance. It's so warm and cozy I feel like I sleep better with it on.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Same here I use the vintage egoiste before bed a lot I thin it makes my relax sometime even a dap of our Mysore oil.
    The current version also is very good just a bit sharper for me I am more use to the vintage.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

As to Egoiste, does it have an overtly lavender vibe? I don’t want it to be barbershop-like. I do like spicy and even cinnamon and/or nutmeg. A somewhat vanilla and sandalwood vase sounds ok. I had worn Imperial Oppoponax and the like.
    If you like cinnamon, I think you'll enjoy Egoiste.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Likewise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Egoiste is a classic with very good performance. It has nothing in common with Platinum Egoiste, the name is a red herring.
    Dior Homme Intense is another classic with very good performance but definitely gourmandy compared to Dior Homme and less versatile.( and if DH performs terribly for you it's hard to imagine DHI completely different in that respect )
    Black Orchid ?
    Unless you have a side job as a drag queen forget it.

Basenotes Plus

Egoiste isn’t powdery so no worries it’s a slightly sweet scent and a very nice sandalwood fragrance.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Egoiste isn’t powdery so no worries it’s a slightly sweet scent and a very nice sandalwood fragrance.
    If it has spices, I know I would have to sample. I am wearing Allure Homme this afternoon and it is pleasant, but nothing I want to go out and get

Egoiste! It's in a league of its own.

Egoiste is the best of the frags mentioned, however it is extremely dry smelling if you can hack that.

Get the Egoiste! The problem is it is so hard to find in stores, so you may not be able to sample it. You can get it online easily (Nordstrom, Saks, NM). The older versions are better than the current one, but not by much. It has stayed intact for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by jdp191 View Post
    Get the Egoiste! The problem is it is so hard to find in stores, so you may not be able to sample it.
    Depends where you are located I guess. In Europe it's at every Chanel counter.
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

You mention:

Tom Ford Noir Extreme
    Dior Homme
    Dior Homme Intense
    Egoiste Platinum
    Allure Homme
    Egoiste

Tom Ford Black Orchid

It is not that easy to get the question

Black Orchid was a "heck no" so we forget about that one. And forget about edt as well if you can't stand edp. I have all of the remaining. Egoiste Platinum is one I don't care for so let's skip that one too.

Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense: there you have two perfect day/night fragrances. Love them!
    Allure Homme is a nice one too, maybe you need a flanker like Edition Blanche. More creamy citrus. Very nice.
    Egoiste is a special one. Lot of cinnamon and sandalwood. It is a love/hate almost so try before buy. I like it but I don't wear it that often.
    Noir Extreme is nice too. More of a night out fragrance for me.

How many do you want to buy? Just one? I'd say DH/DHI. Ask your wife to buy TFNE on your birthday. Done

Again yet a further recommendation in favor of Egoiste-good performance and an equally matched scent worth highlighting like this
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas