Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Montana Parfum D'Homme Arrived Today. Bummer........

Finally I could add MPD'H to the vtg-collection! Sealed and for a great price.
    Then I found out why the great price:
    MPD'H has apparently been re-launched!
    So instead of a NOS bottle of leathery goodness, I recieved this concoction of citrus, tobacco, detergent-notes, more tobacco, floral detergents, some kind of berry, more tobacco and the smell reminiscent of your skin after 45mins in the tanning-grill....WTH??!
    Brought to us by the company Empire Of Scents... Mkay.
    One thing I will commend: the bottle and box has been copied/re-made with an astounding and impressive attention to detail. The bottle's contents, apparently, not so much.
    I'll post my own pics later, if I haven't chucked it..
    Last edited by Marand75; 6th November 2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

Default Re: Montana Parfum D'Homme Arrived Today. Bummer........

disappointing, but thanks for the update. I wont be buying this imitation.
    Can this be differentiated visually? I see the bottle color is darker in the new ones, whereas my vintage is a shade lighter. Is that accurate?
    smell good, feel good
    Currently wearing: Moods Uomo by Krizia

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Oh no.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Sorry to hear that.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I am really really sorry...
    Could you please post some more photos?
    Box and bottle.
    Country of production? Which company?
    Thanks in advance
    MM

Basenotes Plus

Default Montana Parfum D'Homme Arrived Today. Bummer........

Ok, here's some more pics. Box is blank on three of it's sides (the sad stuff is written on the bottom). Made In France by "Empire Of Scents". You can add a slight boozyness to the mix, otherwise no leather, no moss etc...
    I know I'm harsh in judging, but I really am disappointed. I can only compare with the Light version, and although there are bits of slight similarities, judging by the reviews of the non-Light version and very high appraisals of it, i just cannot imagine it smelling as generic as this one do.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

My non-light bottles are similar to Havana but mossier. How does this compare to Havana?

It is a pretty good copy of the box (colour, texture) and a very good one of the bottle (except the sprayer).
    You couldn’t have known if you haven’t seen the originals.
    Just a “quick look” recognition:
    On the front is written Parfums d Homme instead of of Parfum and Montana is written horizontal and not kind of diagonal.
    Also the description of the perfume and position of the words (bottom front) are not ok. But again you can’t tell if you haven’t seen the original.
    There are a lot of other differences except this one but this could be enough in order to recognise fakes assuming that the sellers offer just frontal photos of the product in order to avoid fake recognition.
    The problem in my opinion is not that the you have a fake but that it doesn’t smell right.
    I am saying this because I have bought fakes in the past (not MPdH) which were better than the originals and didn’t care about them being fakes.
    I am sorry

MM

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    My non-light bottles are similar to Havana but mossier. How does this compare to Havana?
    I haven't even smelled Havana, but my bottle has that boozy kind of vibe which is most prominent in the opening and then goes away. Come to think of it, I'm a poor reviewer of this 'cause all I can compare with is the Light version, and though there are similarities, this one kinda smells too "modern". All I can say is, that having read all the reviews of the original and the way you guys speak of it, this one is not at all what I expected.
    I just hope you guys somehow can get to smell it and hopefully prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    It is a pretty good copy of the box (colour, texture) and a very good one of the bottle (except the sprayer).
    You couldn’t have known if you haven’t seen the originals.
    Just a “quick look” recognition:
    On the front is written Parfums d Homme instead of of Parfum and Montana is written horizontal and not kind of diagonal.
    Also the description of the perfume and position of the words (bottom front) are not ok. But again you can’t tell if you haven’t seen the original.
    There are a lot of other differences except this one but this could be enough in order to recognise fakes assuming that the sellers offer just frontal photos of the product in order to avoid fake recognition.
    The problem in my opinion is not that the you have a fake but that it doesn’t smell right.
    I am saying this because I have bought fakes in the past (not MPdH) which were better than the originals and didn’t care about them being fakes.
    I am sorry

MM
    Thanks so much, MM. Now I really know what to look for. But in a way I already knew 'cause I've looked at SO many vintages of this, and still it all went tits up.. I got blinded by the look of it as well as the price.
    I should have done the right thing and reached out to y'all before buying it, or at least have summarized that 22$ for a 4.2oz NOS sealed vintage EdT spray of this classic is unrealistic on so many levels LOL. Ah, well...
    Still, as I said to ZC, I hope you guys get to try this re-launch sometime and hopefully prove me wrong on the smell.

Note to self: when in doubt, reach out to the big dogs of the Vintage forum!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    I haven't even smelled Havana, but my bottle has that boozy kind of vibe which is most prominent in the opening and then goes away. Come to think of it, I'm a poor reviewer of this 'cause all I can compare with is the Light version, and though there are similarities, this one kinda smells too "modern". All I can say is, that having read all the reviews of the original and the way you guys speak of it, this one is not at all what I expected.
    I just hope you guys somehow can get to smell it and hopefully prove me wrong.

Thanks so much, MM. Now I really know what to look for. But in a way I already knew 'cause I've looked at SO many vintages of this, and still it all went tits up.. I got blinded by the look of it as well as the price.
    I should have done the right thing and reached out to y'all before buying it, or at least have summarized that 22$ for a 4.2oz NOS sealed vintage EdT spray of this classic is unrealistic on so many levels LOL. Ah, well...
    Still, as I said to ZC, I hope you guys get to try this re-launch sometime and hopefully prove me wrong on the smell.

Note to self: when in doubt, reach out to the big dogs of the Vintage forum!
    I did some research and Empire of Scents does own the Claude Montana license at present but the original red box Parfum d'Homme is not listed on their website. This is either a really freshly re-launched scent or a dupe, but the Montana logo on your box is the newer one identical to what is used on the newer Montana femme perfume lines (even though the cap logo is the original "diagonal" one).

Seeing no oakmoss or treemoss of any kind listed, this is probably brand new formula (since just this year EU completely banned all atranol), and the detergent (soapiness) and floral aspects you're feeling are likely because they just pulled the moss without even trying to rebalance the composition with synthetic evernyl or anything. They did this with English Leather too, it's all musk and no leather, which is ironic for a "leather" scent.

I know some people on this board hate anything after year-one juice, but that's an untenable mindset for most. I tend to have a bit softer perspective on reforms and compare pre-reform to post-reform when possible to see what they put in place of the oakmoss/eugenol/sandalwood (whatever they took out) to determine if the overall "personality" is retained.

Sometimes you get lucky (Lapidus, Misouko) and the scent holds together. Sometimes it changes things slightly but still smells good (Paco Rabanne, Oscar de la Renta), then you get total screw-ups and this sounds like one. In my opinion, whoever had the job of reformulating this was either on budgetary or time constraints and probably just yanked the banned materials and cranked up whatever is left, just like English Leather.

I sent you a PM detailing my experience with the latest Quorum reform, and it's the first time since English Leather that a reform has sent me screaming for the hills. Like I said, I am usually pretty tolerant, but the dry down was unrecognizable to me as Quorum.

PS: Montana Parfum d'Homme is not a moss beast like Gianfranco Férre for Man, and the florals/soap/tobacco is supposed to be there, but there should be some oakmoss bite (like Quorum) in the finish along with leather. Pluck the vetiver out of Roger & Gallet Open and stuff in more florals, leather, and lower the booziness; that's what PROPER Montana Parfum d'Homme should smell like.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Update: I have 2 different vintages and one is short list/presumed deep vintage (pre-2002 IFRA ruling), while one is long list with oakmoss/treemoss both listed and made in Italy by Selective Beauty (post-2002 IFRA ruling but pre-2011 IFRA ruling). My third bottle is a capless tester but has the dark gray atomizer like my other bottles, so I'm not sure if it's Montana or Selective product but your best bet is to stay within those two manufacture periods.

Sounds like a "cash grab," apparently that was done with Caesar World Man as well (now made in China!).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Update: I have 2 different vintages and one is short list/presumed deep vintage (pre-2002 IFRA ruling), while one is long list with oakmoss/treemoss both listed and made in Italy by Selective Beauty (post-2002 IFRA ruling but pre-2011 IFRA ruling). My third bottle is a capless tester but has the dark gray atomizer like my other bottles, so I'm not sure if it's Montana or Selective product but your best bet is to stay within those two manufacture periods.
    Thanks, ZC! Affirmative. I've spent a day or so researching MPDH photos and all the details n stuff y'all mentioned. Very informative

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like a "cash grab," apparently that was done with Caesar World Man as well (now made in China!).
    It appears the company making current Montana releases did it, so it's probably just a lazy reform, because they sell oakmoss with the atranol removed, but it's evidently more expensive/harder to work with, but it's what Wasser used in his reconstruction of Mitsouko for Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Thanks, ZC! Affirmative. I've spent a day or so researching MPDH photos and all the details n stuff y'all mentioned. Very informative
    You're welcome!