Code of Conduct
o

Default Help me pick my 5 year olds first perfume

Ok so I have a little girl that I want to get her first real perfume this christmas. She likes geir ness and Dior homme, and judging from her bath and body works shea butter collection raspberry too. I am open to suggestions on this and the budget is around $50. I thought about Gendarme or mugler cologne as those are impossible to over apply but I just dont know enough about womens scent to make a good choice.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Help me pick my 5 year olds first perfume

I like box sets for littles - have gifted the Maison de vanille set (right at your $50) and vanilla is nice for kids and grownups both, there was a L'Artisan that had lighter scents (hard to overapply) but I don't see it now.

My kids have all been different, the youngest likes older, heavier vintage stuff, next one likes light fizzy and vanillas; next one likes very minimalst scents a la Jean Claude Ellena, and oldest likes Angel, Jailia, fruit/patchouli sort of stuff.

But anyway - a coffret set of minis, or something like that, of real perfumes, is a nice gift for a young perfume liker.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Five? Years old? My mom, was lucky to get me in the bathtub, at that age.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...
    Currently wearing: Mellifera by Sixteen92

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    But anyway - a coffret set of minis, or something like that, of real perfumes, is a nice gift for a young perfume liker.
    I like this idea. They're small, cute, fun, and it would be a great way to engage with her as she tries the different scents and compares/contrasts them with you.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

My little girls loves bath time; she picks her own bath bombs.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    I like box sets for littles - have gifted the Maison de vanille set (right at your $50) and vanilla is nice for kids and grownups both, there was a L'Artisan that had lighter scents (hard to overapply) but I don't see it now.

My kids have all been different, the youngest likes older, heavier vintage stuff, next one likes light fizzy and vanillas; next one likes very minimalst scents a la Jean Claude Ellena, and oldest likes Angel, Jailia, fruit/patchouli sort of stuff.

Anything that smells like ice cream would work. There's this from 4160 Tuesdays - What I did On My Holidays. That one smells like mint ice cream.

Then there's Indult Tihota. A great fragrance if you want something like vanilla baking extract.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Five? Years old? My mom, was lucky to get me in the bathtub, at that age.
    Ha!

My daughters would have probably sprayed it in each other's faces in a pretend battle. Or added it to the mad science witch potions that they would concoct from time to time. But if your daughter wants a perfume, why not make her happy? I would probably stick with a roll on perfume oil or solid perfume though.
    Currently wearing: Amarige by Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Ha!

My daughters would have probably sprayed it in each other's faces in a pretend battle. Or added it to the mad science witch potions that they would concoct from time to time. But if your daughter wants a perfume, why not make her happy? I would probably stick with a roll on perfume oil or solid perfume though.
    That’s exactly what I did with perfumes at that age! But my niece loved the Anna Sui coffret I bought her a couple of Christmases ago. If they offer that again, the price is right, the bottles pretty, and the scents youthful.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Dune by Christian Dior

I was with my kids at Zara today and noticed they had quite a few fragrances in the kids section, some with cartoon branding and stuff. They had a couple you could purchase in 10 or 15 ml size.

Ooh, a little up and comer to Basenotes, just precious! Her taste is impeccable already. My niece is 7, and i got her a set of mini Bvlgari women's fragrances, I'm not not sure which were in there, I think Omni and a couple of the flankers. I think we paid $30 or so even at the mall, during a sale. She may also find the Bvlgari bottles more intriguing than others, they are delightfully crafted.

Sillage Monster

Soap and water makes a good scent for 5 year olds. Save perfume until she’s older, in my opinion.
    Note to self: Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.

I tend to agree, but not to deem a child as incapable but to shield them from the sheer unsightliness of commercial market economics. I guess that before I get carried away completely, this is a delicate subject and I wonder if it was brought up in order to stir up emotions. In any way, fragrances likely already are present at this age in the form of shower gels and washing powder. There is the possibility to deem this as enough and to try and use responsible variants of the before mentioned without having to sacrifice, because it tends to be an irritant, that much on the aspect of fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Soap and water makes a good scent for 5 year olds. Save perfume until she’s older, in my opinion.
    As a perfumer I disagree. There are plenty of children of even younger age who are infatuated with scent. As long as nobody is spraying it in their mouths, there is nothing wrong with having perfume at a young age.

I feel that if you think your daughter is ready for her first perfume then
    go ahead and buy her one.

The french perfumers, Molinard, do several children's scents including Fleur de Chocolat, Campus,
    Miss and Une Souris Verte. They cost 26 euros online.

My eleven-year-old niece was quite taken with Kenzo world, when I took her
    on a quick sniffing trip.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur by Boucheron

Petit Guelrain perhaps. A fine vanillic alcohol free scent by Guerlain specifically designed for this age group yet good enough the be enjoyed at any age- the (nearly) typical vanillic Guerlain, yet with a lightness, freshness and smoothness making this one particularly inoffensive and versatile.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Anything that smells like ice cream would work. There's this from 4160 Tuesdays - What I did On My Holidays. That one smells like mint ice cream.

Then there's Indult Tihota. A great fragrance if you want something like vanilla baking extract.
    Tihota for a 5 year old, I don't think so, it costs $200.00. Go with Robin's advice, a little coffret set would be best.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Amelie Mae from Gorilla Perfumes (LUSH) was made for a child! It's a jammy rose and some other flower in there

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Tihota for a 5 year old, I don't think so, it costs $200.00. Go with Robin's advice, a little coffret set would be best.
    Molinard Vanille would be a significantly cheaper alternative vanilla scent.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel