Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Help me put together a Christmas list!

Hey guys. I'm wondering if you can help me out. Every year, my siblings and I do a gift exchange for the holidays. As part of it, we all create lists for each other. What I'm wondering is, based on my 15 most worn (since I've been tracking here at Basenotes, which isn't that long), what fragrances would you suggest might be good buys for me and would be good for me to put on a list that I could give to my siblings?

Here's the trick, though: your suggestions should be $100 or less. I'm fine with travel sprays or small bottles, though, like those sold by Frederic Malle and Profumum Roma and Le Labo, because I don't really need any big bottles at this point unless I REALLY love a fragrance.

What do you think? Care to help me out?

My 15 most worn:

1 Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior 42 wears
    2 Nouveau Monde by Louis Vuitton 35 wears
    3 Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior 28 wears
    4 Ombre Nomade by Louis Vuitton 27 wears
    5 Cuir Cannage by Christian Dior 19 wears
    6 Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel 15 wears
    7 Music For a While by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle 15 wears
    8 Balade Sauvage by Christian Dior 11 wears
    9 Interlude Man by Amouage 9 wears
    10 Dior Homme Parfum by Christian Dior 9 wears
    11 Meraviglia by Note di Profumum 8 wears
    12 Patchouli 24 by Le Labo 8 wears
    13 Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle 8 wears
    14 Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle 8 wears
    15 Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum by Guerlain 8 wears
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Default Re: Help me put together a Christmas list!

Hey ultravisitor. I notice a theme running through your list and that is one of warm, ambery, powdery attributes (Cuir Cannage, Dior Homme, Bois D'Argent and even good old Habit Rouge feature). Patchouli also creeps in a fair bit too. I immediately thought of Montale Blue Amber. It'll be under $100 for the 50ml size I would guess (going by the price of other Montales in that size).

Have you ever tried it?

Basenotes Plus

This will probably be no help to you at all, but every year since we sibs have been adults, my family members give to each other's favorite charities in lieu of material gifts. We find it less stressful by far and more in the spirit of the season. Your mileage may vary.

How about a bunch of samples ?

Tauer : LADDM or ACDD (ambery)
    Knize Ten : floral leather
    Hermes : Bel Ami (maybe) - citrus leather/Bel Ami Vetiver; or Equipage/Equipage Geranium
    early December - in the bleak midwinter, cold or animalic : CdG Zagorsk; YSL Body Kouros; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Dior Fahrenheit; Tom Daxon Iridium; Hermes Hiris; Etro Heliotrope, Messe de Minuit; Knize Forest; Hiram Green Hyde; Papillon Anubis, Anglique; Mona di Orio Cuir; Tauer Lonestar Memories; Francesca Bianchi The Lover's Tale; Serge Lutens La Couche du Diable; Lalique Encre Noire

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Hey ultravisitor. I notice a theme running through your list and that is one of warm, ambery, powdery attributes (Cuir Cannage, Dior Homme, Bois D'Argent and even good old Habit Rouge feature). Patchouli also creeps in a fair bit too. I immediately thought of Montale Blue Amber. It'll be under $100 for the 50ml size I would guess (going by the price of other Montales in that size).

Have you ever tried it?
    This is a good suggestion!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Apart from so many great suggestions already mentioned, also adding to a possible (re) testing list Knize Ten, Jaipur Homme EDP and/or Eau des Baux as they fit at once your budget and in addition to your fragrance tastes, to a certain extent also the tastes and preferences of nearly anyone perhaps not so much into fragrances apparently yet nevertheless interested and enjoying to experiment further, to test more
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 9th November 2019 at 08:49 PM.
    Currently wearing: Ispahan by Yves Rocher

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

How about the new one from Malle - Rose & Cuir?

Or, since you like iris/musk, how about Prada L'Homme?

I'd also suggest Cuiron, Le Labo Rose 31, Le Labo The Noir 29.

From your list: no.7

my christmas scents:
    'Pino Silvestre' (1955) by Lino Vidal for Pino Silvestre Italy
    'Pino Silvestre' (1955) by Lino Vidal for Pino Silvestre Italy (01a1).jpg

'Fille en Aiguilles' (2009) by Christopher Sheldrake for Serge Lutens Paris
    'Fille en Aiguilles' (2009) by Christopher Sheldrake for @SergeLutens Paris (01b0).jpg
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 9th November 2019 at 05:11 AM.
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Given your likes, it would be worth a sniff of Profumum’s Ambra Aurea and Fiore d’Ambra. I don’t think either of these are available in the travel size though, but a decant could work.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

For within the budget: Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver. You’d get a full bottle at fragrancenet, or similar, within the price point, and it’s a really beautiful leather. Personally, I like it better than Bel Ami; the Vetiver is lightly handled, and it’s still predominantly a leather scent. This one is soft, caramel-coloured kid leather. Not too sweet, and great on skin.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Parfums de Nicolai New York Intense - $66 for a 30ml bottle

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    This one would be good.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

May I suggest a few of the classics:

Givenchy Gentelman
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post

Have you ever tried it?
    Thank you! I have never tried that particular Montale. I have to admit that it's hard to know what to try from that house because there are simply so many of them. I'll definitely check it out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    How about a bunch of samples ?

Tauer : LADDM or ACDD (ambery)
    Knize Ten : floral leather
    Hermes : Bel Ami (maybe) - citrus leather/Bel Ami Vetiver; or Equipage/Equipage Geranium
    The Tauers are interesting suggestions. I've sampled LADDM on paper and wasn't too crazy about it. Is it much different on skin?

Knize Ten! I always forget about that one.

How forward is the vetiver in Bel Ami Vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Apart from so many great suggestions already mentioned, also adding to a possible (re) testing list Knize Ten, Jaipur Homme EDP and/or Eau des Bau as they fit at once your budget and in addition to your fragrance tastes, to a certain extent also the tastes and preferences of nearly anyone perhaps not so much into fragrances apparently yet nevertheless interested and enjoying to experiment further, to test more
    Oh yes, I always forget about these. I've never tried Knize Ten, but so many people have suggested it that it seems like it's probably a no brainer.

How's the longevity of Eau des Baux? I've never tried it on skin, but it's great on paper. If it has good longevity, then it seems like it'd be a good fit for me, too.

Or, since you like iris/musk, how about Prada L'Homme?

I'd also suggest Cuiron, Le Labo Rose 31, Le Labo The Noir 29.
    You know, I'm back and forth on Rose & Cuir. I have a sample of it, and whenever I try it on skin, there's something about it that doesn't quite sit right with me at times. I should give it a fuller wear sometime.

I think I prefer Dior Homme to Prada L'Homme, but I don't think I've ever tried Prada L'Homme on skin. Of the Pradas, I think Amber Pour Homme is my favorite.

I am somewhat familiar with those Le Labos and have samples of them among my stash, but I don't know anything about Cuiron, so thank you for that. Can I find Cuiron for less than $100 somewhere, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    From your list: no.7

my christmas scents:
    'Pino Silvestre' (1955) by Lino Vidal for Pino Silvestre Italy
    'Pino Silvestre' (1955) by Lino Vidal for Pino Silvestre Italy (01a1).jpg

'Fille en Aiguilles' (2009) by Christopher Sheldrake for Serge Lutens Paris
    'Fille en Aiguilles' (2009) by Christopher Sheldrake for @SergeLutens Paris (01b0).jpg
    The Pino Silvestre is exactly the kind of suggestion that I like because I don't know it and it's inexpensive enough to be a safe blind buy.

Serge Lutens is another house that I'd like to explore more, but there are a lot of them and I'm not exactly sure exactly which to try beyond Chergui and Ambre Sultan, so thanks! Any others from the house that I might like?

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    Given your likes, it would be worth a sniff of Profumum’s Ambra Aurea and Fiore d’Ambra. I don’t think either of these are available in the travel size though, but a decant could work.
    They're all actually available in the travel sizes--I saw them when I was at one of the brand's boutiques in Rome over the summer--but the travel sizes are very hard to find here in the US. They were 50 euros a piece, and I wanted to snatch up so many of them. I only bought two, though, because I was trying to exhibit some self control on the trip (I had already bought a full bottle of one from their Note di Profumum line, a Dior, and a Farmacia SS Anunziata). I have never tried Ambra Aurea on skin. Is it spicier on skin than on paper? It seemed SO sweet on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    For within the budget: Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver. You’d get a full bottle at fragrancenet, or similar, within the price point, and it’s a really beautiful leather. Personally, I like it better than Bel Ami; the Vetiver is lightly handled, and it’s still predominantly a leather scent. This one is soft, caramel-coloured kid leather. Not too sweet, and great on skin.
    Multiple Hermes suggestions. I should spend more time checking out the house. How's the longevity of Bel Ami Vetiver? Is the vetiver present through the drydown?

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Another one that I almost always forget about but which so many people seem to love. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    May I suggest a few of the classics:

Givenchy Gentelman
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Which Givenchy Gentleman? I never know which one people are talking about when they mention it.

Basenotes Plus

Timbuktu.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post

Which Givenchy Gentleman? I never know which one people are talking about when they mention it.
    The original 1974 release.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The original 1974 release.
    Is eBay the only place to find that? What does someone look for to know it's the original release?

Banned

A few less expensive options you might like (based on what I can garner from your list):

Jaipur Homme EDT
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense (it smells nothing like regular Amber Pour Homme)
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him Eau de Parfum Intense
    Caron 3rd Man

A few that come in right around the $100 mark:

Traverseee du Bosphore (you need to like that powdery, lipstick dior-homme-like iris to enjoy this one though...it opens with that note...this is a unique gourmand by Duchafor).
    Ambre Precieux (one of the best ambers...powdery white with aromatic spices...well balanced and complex)
    Montale Intense Cafe (very nice coffee note over a dark rose that was a little too strong for me, but probably just right for anyone who actually likes a rose note)

To answer the question directly, so far have gotten average (4-6 hours) to good longevity (8 hours plus) on Eau des Baux - in each case with moderate projection, though admittedly muted, attenuated likelier into a skin scent after the 6-8 hours mark
    Currently wearing: Ispahan by Yves Rocher

I'd also suggest Cuiron, Le Labo Rose 31.
    +1 Rose 31

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Have to say that since trying NYI during last winter, I have since associated it with Christmas even more. Don’t know why but it fits the bill.

Is eBay the only place to find that? What does someone look for to know it's the original release?
    You can find it on Ebay but you could also find here in the sales thread.

This individual is selling them on his sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/464...ir-De-Noir-ETC

Baldessarini Ambré - fits in your wheelhouse and won't break the bank of your siblings.

Un Jardin En Mediterranee, Ambre Narguilé, Rose Ikebana (travel bottle), Portrait of a Lady (10ml), Ninfeo Mio, Wonderoud.

Any others from the house that I might like?
    My favorites: Bornéo 1834, Fumerie Turque, Arabie, Chergui and l'Orpheline
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

For some reason, there are people who connect the Costume National Homme with Christmas.

To me the sadly discontinued Mugler B*Men is a fab during winter holidays. Other Muglers to consider - A*Men Pure Tonka, Pure Havane and A*Men The Taste Of Fragrance.

Someone mentioned Baldessarini Ambre and I think it's a pretty good idea. You also might want to consider Givenchy Gentlmen Only Absolute.

Guerlain L'Homme Ideal EDP
    also crossed my mind because of that Guerlain elegance but also warmth. Of the more classic designer stuff, CK Obsession for Men and Karl Lagerfeld Classic might do the trick.

There are a lot of already good options mentioned such as Boucheron Jaipur PH, Burberry London for Men, if I'm not mistaken, and Chanel Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    You also might want to consider [B]Givenchy Gentlmen Only Absolute.
    Good choice that rarely gets mentioned here.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Good choice that rarely gets mentioned here.
    I'm surprised it's off the radar. Thing is not a masterpiece, but it's a damn good frag.

Any others from the house that I might like?
    Not at this price point. I’d recom Ambre Sultan, Cuir Mauresque, Fumerie Turque, Muscs Koublai Khan and Chergui.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I'm surprised it's off the radar. Thing is not a masterpiece, but it's a damn good frag.
    I'm totally happy with nobody knowing about it, lol
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada