Code of Conduct

Default Green Banana Notes

Morning folks, I got a weird one.

So, my wife likes to work out in the garden and she has a couple piles of compost/old leaves/etc and she'll occasionally burn some bits here and there, so that's where she decided to challenge me to make an atmospheric.

I can already get pretty close to the burned/ashed compost bit with a little decoration on a mix of Patchouli/Terrasol and a touch of Cade. Some other types of smoke or aldehydic notes might be useful.

BUT, I have no experience with fruits or gourmands in any way, so I'm not sure where to even start getting the 'banana leaves' part of 'burning banana leaves'.

Somewere in the amyls, I'm guessing?
    Currently wearing: Wald by Euphorium Brooklyn

Default Re: Green Banana Notes

Or maybe Liffarome.

cis-3-hexenyl acetate

look in the top upper right hand corner of the illustrated diagram here:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Pea...nce-11529.html
    They use a picture of a peely green banana to represent it.

description: Fresh, green-banana, sweet, fruity-apple and pear, diffusive
    Arctander: describes the odour like this: "Intensely green, sharp-fruity and very diffusive odor, in dilution reminiscent of unripe Banana peel."
    https://pellwall.com/shop/ingredient...xenyl-acetate/

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    cis-3-hexenyl acetate

look in the top upper right hand corner of the illustrated diagram here:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Pea...nce-11529.html
    They use a picture of a peely green banana to represent it.

description: Fresh, green-banana, sweet, fruity-apple and pear, diffusive
    Arctander: describes the odour like this: "Intensely green, sharp-fruity and very diffusive odor, in dilution reminiscent of unripe Banana peel."
    https://pellwall.com/shop/ingredient...xenyl-acetate/
    Thanks, looks like a good starting point.

I'm reading that the Key Ingredient that makes banana smell banana-y is isoamyl acetate ( http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1006712.html ). Robertet makes a version, but I'm not immediately finding it at my usual small batch haunts, so I might just have to make do.

Edit to Add: Or maybe I'm just being a sloppy researcher.

CreatingPerfume has it:

Sweet banana fruity ripe.Must be used in high dilution (traces) to have this effect.
    The major application is the use in nail polish removers and nail polish as a natural solvent.

Heh, so just nail polish remover. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by Travtex View Post
    I'm reading that the Key Ingredient that makes banana smell banana-y is isoamyl acetate
    Some of these obvious notes, if you can't find the specific chemical, you can usually find it in the form of a perfume accord, i.e. "banana note".
    I'm sure that would be the case with isoamyl acetate. Banana is a pretty common fragrance note.

However, "green banana" and "banana" notes are going to be very different smells.

If you're looking at the smell of compost, you might want to add an "earthy" smell. Maybe try smelling vetikone, some say it smells like cold wet soil. Or root smells.

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    Some of these obvious notes, if you can't find the specific chemical, you can usually find it in the form of a perfume accord, i.e. "banana note".
    I'm sure that would be the case with isoamyl acetate. Banana is a pretty common fragrance note.

However, "green banana" and "banana" notes are going to be very different smells.

If you're looking at the smell of compost, you might want to add an "earthy" smell. Maybe try smelling vetikone, some say it smells like cold wet soil. Or root smells.
    I've got a pretty decent version I've been playing with centered around some dark patchouli from eden and terrasol, but always interested in hunting down more damp/earthy/soil smelling chems, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Travtex View Post
    I've got a pretty decent version I've been playing with centered around some dark patchouli from eden and terrasol
    So apparently Terrasol is a 50/50 mixture of 2-ethyl-1,3,3-trimethyl-2-norbornanol and cedranol.