Code of Conduct
o

Default What makes a scent feminine?

Generally, what makes a scent be considered feminine?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What makes a scent feminine?

Typically, pretty fruity or big white florals and candy-like notes. Ultimately it boils down to personal associations and beliefs one holds over certain notes, no doubt influenced by culture and level of exposure to various forms of perfumery.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Florals and a certain kind of light sweetness.

It's really arbitrary, given that it's all rooted in cultural history and contemporary marketing rather than anything inherent to scent, but I think the sense is that "delicate" = feminine, while "masculine" scents have a little more force. So a "feminine" citrus scent might caress with gentle florals that float along sweet air, while a stereotypically "masculine" citrus would have more weight and punch with a woody backing.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Typically, pretty fruity or big white florals and candy-like notes.
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

As others were saying, right now the stereotype is scrubbed clean white florals or pink syrupy fruity.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others were saying, right now the stereotype is scrubbed clean white florals or pink syrupy fruity.

cacio
    Yup, and if you add in any aldehydes, you have the ultimate "feminine" scent.
    Currently wearing: Nuit de Noël by Caron

Sillage Monster

Interesting! This thread inspired me to analyze my own wardrobe and I discovered that 16 of my 29 fragrances are marketed as feminine, just a little more than half. I usually gravitate to unisex and, lately, traditional masculines. The nose wants what the nose wants!
    Note to self: Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.

Rose reminds me of old lady. Shame its used so much

Basenotes Plus

Cultural norms differ throughout the world,however in the West, current,there is a general trigger set by White Florals and Nectar sweetness.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    Rose reminds me of old lady. Shame its used so much
    Try Montale Black Aoud. That’ll open your mind.
    Note to self: Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.

Freed from BN Institution

Vanilla based fragrances come to mind, a good example would be Indult Tihota.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Typically, pretty fruity or big white florals and candy-like notes. Ultimately it boils down to personal associations and beliefs one holds over certain notes, no doubt influenced by culture and level of exposure to various forms of perfumery.
    Agree
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Mostly the bottle design and marketing strategies.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I think this can be a slippery slope along the same lines as the "are fragrances gendered" because differing opinions bring out the claws when those opinions are held as irrefutable truths by their owners. However, I'll play ball here in the spirit of CIVIL discussion.

Concepts of femininity, like with masculinity, change from era to era, so there's no definitive answer to cover all perfume creation since the beginning of recorded history, but from my findings I have discovered:

- In the earliest eras of marketed (non-bespoke) perfume in the West, there really was nothing off-limits to women, as it was women who mostly wore perfume. Men shaved and groomed, but didn't want a discernible smell beyond their toiletries, so any perfume at all could raise accusations of femininity, homosexuality, or anything thought to be abhorrent to the patriarchal notions of society up until eau de colognes gained widespread acceptance by everyone.

- From roughly the late 18th century until the early 20th century, it was easier to pinpoint what men liked rather than what accords were feminine because again, most men didn't wear perfume so what few things gained acceptance were the exception and not the rule. Even then, the things men liked were often worn by women too, so it's a shorter list to describe powdery barbershop florals, dry lemony pine and pepper, or early lavender fougère accords as what men preferred more than women.

- From roughly the 1920's onward, there was more discernible division in perfume inasmuch as gender was concerned due to increased adoption of perfume by men. Feminine accords throughout the prewar periods through early 1960's seemed to be sweet, spicy, oriental tones laced with animalic musks, jasmine indole, tuberose, rose, or amber. Fruity floral chypres also became popular, with fruit and citrus top notes, floral hearts, and dry woodsy mossy bases.

- After perfumes like Chanel No 5 and Miss Dior became popular, aldehydes and leather notes entered the picture for many feminine perfumes respectively and the chypres splintered into a half-dozen varieties, most of them now wearable for those with masculine tastes due to the broadening of tastes among men overall during the course of history, especially greener or woodsier examples. By the 1960's, women's perfumes became exceedingly green, mossy, and almost "butch" into the 70's until by the 1980's, they became extremely floral once more.

-It gets a bit sketchier from the 1970's onward, because there was a lot of gender crossover until the "reset" of the 1990's when clean minimalist synthetic accords and food-note gourmands became popular across the board, so stuff like Hugo Boss Number 1 (masculine) alongside Estee Lauder Knowing (feminine) would seem to be cut from the same cloth, but in general feminine notes were considered fruity, floral, powdery, indolic, or blooming with aldehydes and sweet musks. Prominent tuberose perfumes were considered feminine then.

- In the modern era, feminine accords seem to be watery fresh fruity floral accords on shampoo musks, fruity patchouli accords, candy-sweet gourmand tones or osmanthus florals on heavy ambergris/ambroxan bases. Ambery oriental accords and animalics have been relinquished to men, as have most dry green woodsy chypre or lavender fougère accords. Once again like a century ago, it's almost easier to list what men like rather than women because the list is much smaller. If it's not fresh clean citrus, "tonkabacco", shower gel ambrox, or woodyamber, chances are women will wear it.

In a nutshell, it's just easier to wear what smells good to you and not worry about it. This alone took me 30 minutes to sort out.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Lily of the Valley...
    Currently wearing: Bowmakers by D.S. & Durga

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Lily of the Valley...
    Yes, I agree.

You girls just stay away from my Estee Lauder FOR.MEN.
    and Eucris
    And.......
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I think this can be a slippery slope along the same lines as the "are fragrances gendered" because differing opinions bring out the claws when those opinions are held as irrefutable truths by their owners. However, I'll play ball here in the spirit of CIVIL discussion.

Concepts of femininity, like with masculinity, change from era to era, so there's no definitive answer to cover all perfume creation since the beginning of recorded history, but from my findings I have discovered:

- In the earliest eras of marketed (non-bespoke) perfume in the West, there really was nothing off-limits to women, as it was women who mostly wore perfume. Men shaved and groomed, but didn't want a discernible smell beyond their toiletries, so any perfume at all could raise accusations of femininity, homosexuality, or anything thought to be abhorrent to the patriarchal notions of society up until eau de colognes gained widespread acceptance by everyone.

- From roughly the late 18th century until the early 20th century, it was easier to pinpoint what men liked rather than what accords were feminine because again, most men didn't wear perfume so what few things gained acceptance were the exception and not the rule. Even then, the things men liked were often worn by women too, so it's a shorter list to describe powdery barbershop florals, dry lemony pine and pepper, or early lavender fougère accords as what men preferred more than women.

- From roughly the 1920's onward, there was more discernible division in perfume inasmuch as gender was concerned due to increased adoption of perfume by men. Feminine accords throughout the prewar periods through early 1960's seemed to be sweet, spicy, oriental tones laced with animalic musks, jasmine indole, tuberose, rose, or amber. Fruity floral chypres also became popular, with fruit and citrus top notes, floral hearts, and dry woodsy mossy bases.

- After perfumes like Chanel No 5 and Miss Dior became popular, aldehydes and leather notes entered the picture for many feminine perfumes respectively and the chypres splintered into a half-dozen varieties, most of them now wearable for those with masculine tastes due to the broadening of tastes among men overall during the course of history, especially greener or woodsier examples. By the 1960's, women's perfumes became exceedingly green, mossy, and almost "butch" into the 70's until by the 1980's, they became extremely floral once more.

-It gets a bit sketchier from the 1970's onward, because there was a lot of gender crossover until the "reset" of the 1990's when clean minimalist synthetic accords and food-note gourmands became popular across the board, so stuff like Hugo Boss Number 1 (masculine) alongside Estee Lauder Knowing (feminine) would seem to be cut from the same cloth, but in general feminine notes were considered fruity, floral, powdery, indolic, or blooming with aldehydes and sweet musks. Prominent tuberose perfumes were considered feminine then.

- In the modern era, feminine accords seem to be watery fresh fruity floral accords on shampoo musks, fruity patchouli accords, candy-sweet gourmand tones or osmanthus florals on heavy ambergris/ambroxan bases. Ambery oriental accords and animalics have been relinquished to men, as have most dry green woodsy chypre or lavender fougère accords. Once again like a century ago, it's almost easier to list what men like rather than women because the list is much smaller. If it's not fresh clean citrus, "tonkabacco", shower gel ambrox, or woodyamber, chances are women will wear it.

In a nutshell, it's just easier to wear what smells good to you and not worry about it. This alone took me 30 minutes to sort out.
    Good job elucidating a complex subject, Zealot Crusader.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Yes, I agree.

You girls just stay away from my Estee Lauder FOR.MEN.
    and Eucris
    And.......
    Obviously everyone's answer is subjective and only representative of an opinion.
    Currently wearing: Bowmakers by D.S. & Durga

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Good job elucidating a complex subject, Zealot Crusader.
    You're too kind <3
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Lily of the Valley...
    Tuberose as well

For me? Floral scents when the flower is front and center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk