Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o
    Banned

Default Tabac Rouge.......Damn This Is Good Stuff

I know, I know...this isn't a newsflash or anything for many of you vets around here, but it certainly can't hurt to recognize it every now and then.

I've had a bottle of Tabac Rouge since around 2013/2014. I've promoted it plenty in the past and wrote about it a few times, I used to recommend it a lot. But you know how every once in a while you get distracted by new stuff and an old favorite falls to the back of your shelf in favor of others? Well, that happened with me and Tabac Rouge. I haven't worn it but once about 6 months ago and before that for at least two years. It was just getting pushed to the side while I tried other stuff.

So today I was going through my wardrobe, as I'm cutting my collection back and trimming the fat, when I came across my bottle of Tabac Rouge. There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to keep it, but as I was kind of trying to decide between it and Terre d'Hermes for part of this month's rotation I decided to spray a shot on my arm, just to reacquaint myself with it. Man...I'm glad I did, because this stuff is fantastic. Really. I'm not sure if my bottle has evolved a little over the years or my nose detects things differently, but to begin with, the HONEY note is to die for. I recall it having honey, and that was always a significant part of its makeup, but now it's like the main note that first comes out at you. And it smells sooooo good. It's over the tobacco, which is dark and sultry and blended into a rich, delicious vanilla or benzoin base. The cinnamon has receded a bit I think, it used to be stronger, with more bite. But it's still there, and for all I know it could just be that it didn't really show up with this one spray I put on my arm, but it seems like it kind of traded places with the honey in terms of the spotlight and its role in the opening. Either way, what a fragrance! I recently bought a bottle of Mystery Tobacco by Carolina Herrera, and I like it, and I thought it was amazing when I first tried it. And it is very good, don't get me wrong. But after trying Tabac Rouge again today, it pales in comparison (even though it's arguable that they're too different to compare). This is without a doubt the best gourmand tobacco I've tried, and I've tried a lot. Many of you may be familiar with it, as it's been around a while, but if you're not, or if you're only familiar with it via comments that you've read or things you've heard about it, go try it when you get the chance. It's worth it. Something else that's nice about Tabac Rouge is that it's not very expensive as far as niche fragrances are concerned. It's $160 for 100ml and it does go on sale sometimes. In terms of price to quality ratio, this one is more than fair. Performance is very good. It performs around 70% of Tobacco Vanille, if that's any indication. So it's not nuclear, but it's very substantial and you should have no issues in that department.

I know there are some fans of this around here. I've seen a couple people mention it in the past week. But if you're not familiar with it, now's a good time. It's perfect for the late fall and winter.

Default Re: Tabac Rouge.......Damn This Is Good Stuff

I’m surprised this forum allows foul language, none of the other forums I’m on do.

Freed from BN Institution

I prefer Tabac Rouge over Tobacco Vanille. I like to think Tabac Rouge is a good representation to what Tobacco Vanille was at the time of the original release back in 2007.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    I’m surprised this forum allows foul language, none of the other forums I’m on do.
    Foul language?

"Damn"

Are you serious?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I prefer Tabac Rouge over Tobacco Vanille. I like to think Tabac Rouge is a good representation to what Tobacco Vanille was at the time of the original release back in 2007.
    They're definitely similar. I always thought of TR as a more refined TV, with a bit more complexity and more going on, more refinement, and less of a bombastic approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Foul language?

"Damn"

Are you serious?

Yea it’s tacky.

Just got a 20ml decant a while ago and agree this stuff is very very good!
    It reminds me smell-wise of the vtg 2012 TV original but (fortunately) less loud and tenacious. This stuff is just right and lasts 10 hrs on me easily
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Banned

Yea it’s tacky.
    Noted.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Just got a 20ml decant a while ago and agree this stuff is very very good!
    It reminds me smell-wise of the vtg 2012 TV original but (fortunately) less loud and tenacious. This stuff is just right and lasts 10 hrs on me easily
    Those 20 mL's should last you a very long time. I think I've used about 12 over 5 or 6 years.

Enjoy!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have loved it from the day that it was released.
    Last edited by hednic; 9th November 2019 at 09:13 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Tacky Rouge

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Tacky Rouge

Was Tabac Rouge in that group of samples you recently bought?

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Tacky Rouge
    Pretty much

Missing Oakmoss

I've recommended Tabac Rouge so often that I'm almost embarrassed to comment, but yes, it is just wonderful...great any time, but around the holidays it's extra special.

Was Tabac Rouge in that group of samples you recently bought?
    Sure was! I found it to be a more wearable Tobacco Vanille.

TR is lovely. I have a bottle from when it was released and love it. It’s beautiful in the Fall and Winter.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Dependent

Tabac Rouge is a great tobacco oriented fragrance and possibly my favorite. Although, depending on my mood, CH Mystery Tobacco could be my first choice. TR is something that I will wear casual or dressed up where as MT seems to be a little bit more dressy. TR trumps MT when comes to price and ease of availability. I also think TR is a safe blind buy for anyone sitting on the fence about buying it.

thanks for the write-up, it's one i'm yet to try. having said that i love Herod (more vanilla than tobacco sure) and Mystery Tobacco is certainly one i'm enamoured with. not sure i will like this, didn't care for the honey tobacco is Naxos that's for sure but it's moved up the sampling pile.

Boclet Tobacco got a lot of praise and i thought it was terrible, cheap smelling and badly blended compared to the likes of Mystery Tobacco. i also can't stand Tobacco Vanille so some of the sweet tobacco frags are an acquired taste in my experience.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

I know, I know...this isn't a newsflash or anything for many of you vets around here, but it certainly can't hurt to recognize it every now and then.

I've had a bottle of Tabac Rouge since around 2013/2014. I've promoted it plenty in the past and wrote about it a few times, I used to recommend it a lot. But you know how every once in a while you get distracted by new stuff and an old favorite falls to the back of your shelf in favor of others? Well, that happened with me and Tabac Rouge. I haven't worn it but once about 6 months ago and before that for at least two years. It was just getting pushed to the side while I tried other stuff.

So today I was going through my wardrobe, as I'm cutting my collection back and trimming the fat, when I came across my bottle of Tabac Rouge. There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to keep it, but as I was kind of trying to decide between it and Terre d'Hermes for part of this month's rotation I decided to spray a shot on my arm, just to reacquaint myself with it. Man...I'm glad I did, because this stuff is fantastic. Really. I'm not sure if my bottle has evolved a little over the years or my nose detects things differently, but to begin with, the HONEY note is to die for. I recall it having honey, and that was always a significant part of its makeup, but now it's like the main note that first comes out at you. And it smells sooooo good. It's over the tobacco, which is dark and sultry and blended into a rich, delicious vanilla or benzoin base. The cinnamon has receded a bit I think, it used to be stronger, with more bite. But it's still there, and for all I know it could just be that it didn't really show up with this one spray I put on my arm, but it seems like it kind of traded places with the honey in terms of the spotlight and its role in the opening. Either way, what a fragrance! I recently bought a bottle of Mystery Tobacco by Carolina Herrera, and I like it, and I thought it was amazing when I first tried it. And it is very good, don't get me wrong. But after trying Tabac Rouge again today, it pales in comparison (even though it's arguable that they're too different to compare). This is without a doubt the best gourmand tobacco I've tried, and I've tried a lot. Many of you may be familiar with it, as it's been around a while, but if you're not, or if you're only familiar with it via comments that you've read or things you've heard about it, go try it when you get the chance. It's worth it. Something else that's nice about Tabac Rouge is that it's not very expensive as far as niche fragrances are concerned. It's $160 for 100ml and it does go on sale sometimes. In terms of price to quality ratio, this one is more than fair. Performance is very good. It performs around 70% of Tobacco Vanille, if that's any indication. So it's not nuclear, but it's very substantial and you should have no issues in that department.

I know there are some fans of this around here. I've seen a couple people mention it in the past week. But if you're not familiar with it, now's a good time. It's perfect for the late fall and winter.

A great fragrance. It was because of you championing this fragrance that made me buy it some time ago. It actually performs better on my skin than TV.
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Parfum & Dior Homme - Dior
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger Pour Homme EDP - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP - MFK
    17/17 Richwood - Xerjoff
    Coromandel EDP - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Musc Ravageur - FM
    Baraonda/Pardon - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus- PDM
    Pure Tonka - TM
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Richwood by Xerjoff

I started a thread about a spicy honey tobacco scent. TR came up along with Montale Honey Oud, 1821 Sweet Tobacco and Mancera Red Tobacco. This may be the nail in the coffin and if I can be directed to where it goes on sale I’m about to blind buy it
    Last edited by finsfan; 10th November 2019 at 01:02 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I started a thread about a spicy honey tobacco scent. TR came up along with Montale Honey Oud and Mancera Red Tobacco. This may be the nail in the coffin and if I can be directed to where it goes on sale I’m about to blind buy it
    I bought my bottle from Fragrances and Art because they had the best price. I just checked and it's out of stock right now. Luckyscent currently has it on hand.

Dependent

Foul language?

"Damn"

Are you serious?
    +1. Damn, the guy that made that comment is one hyper-sensitive little fellow. I can't think of a single forum I'm on, from fragrances to investing to politics, that wouldn't allow the word "damn" in either the subject line or text. Not a single damn one.

Dependent

Wow there are some real snowflakes on these forums ������

Well said, BB.

Tabac Rouge is a contender for "Best in Show" gourmand tobacco overall and is undoubtedly the best offering in the "honey tobacco" style popularized by Tobacco Vanille (which, in side-by-side comparisons, seems markedly more synthetic and waxy). Beautifully structured, with enough airiness to keep its sweetness from feeling too dense or syrupy.

Basenotes Junkie

Absolutely love it. It’s a fantastic fragrance.

Yea it’s tacky.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KBF1972 View Post
    Wow there are some real snowflakes on these forums ������
    In any collecting/obsessive hobby you will get certain “personalities” that are very direct in their communication . I would count myself among them but its a spectrum.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Black Gold by Mancera

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    In any collecting/obsessive hobby you will get certain “personalities” that are very direct in their communication . I would count myself among them but its a spectrum.
    This is excellent delivery on this subject.

This is a fantastic blend, I agree. I also own the rest of the line, all are worth a sniff.

Arabesque by The Merchant of Venice is also worth looking into. Honestly, I feel that it’s every bit as good as TR, though slightly more airy due to the wispy ginger note.

I don’t own TR because I own Boclet’s Tobacco. On my skin, I found them to be very similar (in fact I like the Boclet just a pinch better...) On paper, I actually preferred the TR.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa