Code of Conduct
o

Default How to pick black dress shoes

So I'm piecing together my professional/formal wardrobe. Got the pants, dress shirts, got a nice coat. The only thing missing is the footwear.

I thought I could cheap it out by buying some black dress shoes from Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Bad idea as I'm learning cheap dress shoes are not going to last and going to get wrinkles and creases and look real shabby real fast.

Any recommendations on where to go, stores or online? Brands or styles that I should stick too? I'm not good with current fashions so I don't know what works and what doesn't.

EDIT

Okay, a quick Youtube video brought me up to speed on dress shoes.

Closed lace, with a curved cap toe with no designs is business-like and still formal.
    And apparently around the $300 mark will be a shoe that will last. $100 or less will apparently get shabby quickly.

Default Re: How to pick black dress shoes

If you're looking to go on a budget and aren't in a rush, Beckett Simonon will be among the best deals you can find in this arena.

Dependent

Nordstrom has Johnston Murphy Monk Strap for $149, great looking shoe.

Capture.JPG
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    And apparently around the $300 mark will be a shoe that will last.
    If you're going with a brick and mortar store, and you want quality and class, go with Nieman Marcus.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

At that price point, I would head over to Allen Edmonds. Using a pair of cedar trees will help them keep their shape/avoid creasing and absorb moisture.

Firstly, I’d want a pair of Goodyear welted shoes. A brand that comes to mind that isn’t to expensive is Carmina. Excellent shoes for a good price. You could also go with a Magnianni (not sure these are Goodyear) which isn’t bad either, and can be had on sale for a steal at Neiman. If you want custom and still under $300 then Rancourts are wonderful

I have several dress shoes and the majority of mine last several years. I never get creases in them unless I'm doing some extended physical labor. I never pay over $100.
    I usually shop Nordstrom Rack, DSW, and occasionally Macy's or Aldo.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Buy the best quality you can afford. Classic styles last forever and if you take nothing else away from this: SHOE TREES. And a regular polish. Here is a deal not to pass up. I didn't:https://toboot.com/collections/sale/products/duke-black
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

First off, thanks for all the replies. I'm looking into everything that's been suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Nordstrom has Johnston Murphy Monk Strap for $149, great looking shoe.

Capture.JPG
    That's nice but I wanted something that's a bit more classic. But I'm not knowing about fashion so maybe this would be a better choice for me. I've been avoiding the brown soles though because I think that would clash with a black dress pants and a white dress shirt. Am I wrong? Is it common to have brown soles with a mostly black suit?

I was thinking of something like this:
    dress shoe.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If you're going with a brick and mortar store, and you want quality and class, go with Nieman Marcus.
    I'll check that out. I went over to Bloomingdales sight and found the above shoe, on sale at $225.

I'm glad I posed this question here because I was scouring Marshall's/TJ Maxx/Ross, Macy's and Men's Wearhouse and wondering why they didn't have anything remotely close to what I was looking for.

Basenotes Plus

The more shoes you have to rotate with the longer each pair will last. Take your time to build a good shoe wardrobe and set aside at least $200-300 for a pair of full grain leathers. I agree with the shoe tree advice - and also always use a good shoe horn.

Color-wise, blacks and dark browns tend to get the most wears based on conventional wardrobe colors.

Style-wise, a pair of black leather Oxfords or wholecuts works best for formalwear, with another pair finished in patent leather for blacktie affairs. Save the single/double monkstraps or loafers for casual Fridays/weekends.

But do consider the arch of your feet as those Oxfords may not lace up quite as nicely in which case a pair of derbys or bluchers may work better for your feet.

My current favorite shoe brand is Paul Evans NY; they fit my feet perfectly. But I think that’s enough for now. You could probably tell I’m a bit of a shoe addict...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

I don't think you need patent leather for black tie. Just apply a nice mirror polish to your whole cuts or cap toe Oxford (assuming no brogueing on either) and you're good to go.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Style-wise, a pair of black leather Oxfords or wholecuts works best for formalwear, with another pair finished in patent leather for blacktie affairs. Save the single/double monkstraps or loafers for casual Fridays/weekends.
    Sound advice.
    Last edited by hednic; 13th November 2019 at 02:31 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Agree with others- all black Oxford, without broguing, something like the ones you identified, are the way to go for a first pair of dress shoes. I don't have shoes of the brand you show, so cannot comment on those specifically. I've bought Alden in the past, but these are more expensive.

As an additional suggestion, after you buy, I would have a Vibram sole attached, which prevents slipping and makes the original sole last much longer.

cacio

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

As others have been saying, -

* Go for quality, and pay extra.
    * Shoe trees are a must; cedar shoe trees; for travel, you could use plastic shoe trees.
    * If you have 2-3 pairs, then that's better. Ideally you shouldn't wear the same pair everyday.
    * Regular maintenance, including cleaning and polish.
    * Getting rubber/Vibram soles is a good idea; it's more comfortable for walking.
    * If you live in cold area with snow, be very careful about salt. It can ruin your leather shoes. Best not to use in snow and ice (there are boots for that).

Went to Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus and Nordstroms.
    No black, cap toe with the closed laces. This is apparently not a common or popular style anymore. Of course.
    I'll just have to order it on line and estimate my size. If it doesn't fit, I should be able to return them.

Basenotes Plus

Check out this site. https://www.6pm.com/men-black-oxford...rcentOff/desc/

I filtered it on men’s black dress shoes and sorted by highest percent off. First pair that came up is a nice pair of Bruno Magli cap toes for $140.

I have bought a lot of shoes from this site with no problems. They are good about returns. They are now owned by Amazon.

Weird that they didn't have. This should be the staple of formalwear, ie the bread and butter of such stores. Perhaps it's christmas time and they are exhausting their stock/bringing in christmas sale stuff.

cacoi

You cannot go wrong with Allen Edmonds IMO. They have brick and mortar as well as on line. They are "re-craftable" so if taken care of with the mentioned shoe trees and proper maintenance you should get years of use. I agree rotation is huge in quality shoes, rotating 3 pairs will last a lot longer than wearing out a pair and replacing, wearing out a pair and replacing...
    Cole Haan is a cheaper option for casual Fridays, "an athletic shoe inside with a dress shoe exterior. They don't last as long but dang, they are great to wear