Code of Conduct
o

Lightbulb Kenneth Cole Black - Hidden gem but concerned about performance.

Kenneth Cole Black. Such an awesome uplifting scent. Im considering buying it. But I saw mixed reviews about its performance. Can someone please tell me how it performs. Projection and longevity?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Default Re: Kenneth Cole Black - Hidden gem but concerned about performance.

Tried it on two separate occasions. Performance on my skin was only average at best.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I see. Anyone else tried it?

Kenneth Cole Black, like everything else by KC, doesn't have good longevity on me. The only one that performs well is the one with the wooden cap. Which is that? Man?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Blog Entries

I hate Black, but I love Black Bold, it's much better in every way possible. It's a real gem, I recommend checking it out, in fact, thanks, it's now gonna be my SOTD.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

KC Black is an average performer. A personal favorite of mine - I have been singing it's praises here for years. But performance is about 4 - 5 hours. I have an atomizer if I ever need to re-apply so I never let performance bother me. But it is average IMO. If you love the scent, I wouldn't let performance get in the way - just re-apply if needed.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive dAmbre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Kenneth Cole Black (2003) epitomizes Y2K "ozonic/youth" male perfumery, when Jackass was on MTV and marketing analyists described the dynamic between millennial men and women (then in their late teens/early 20's) as "mooks and midriffs". JNCO jeans were fading in popularity in favor of skinny jeans, gangsta rap giving way to hip-hop, and MySpace giving birth to social media (thaaaaanks Tom).

The scent perfectly captures that time: loud, huge projection, but average longevity perfect for 4 hours at a club or social event. You'll smell like a radioactive mixture of citrus, mint, vetiver, chilled berries, and a surprisingly convincing ambergris note (thanks to timberol), but without the molasses warmth of modern ambroxan to anchor it on skin past when the Iso E Super fades.

Kenneth Cole Black is still a wonderful signature now, as it's drier and more sophisticated than most modern masculines aimed at the same market, and doesn't smell out of place thanks to that nice timberol ambergris accord (also in the more-recent Montblanc Legend Spirit), but you will need to re-apply if you want a full day out of it because this is essentially a clubber from 15 years ago (like Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Cologne).
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Japur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    The only one that performs well is the one with the wooden cap. Which is that?
    Kenneth Cole Signature, perhaps?
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

It's not my kind of scent profile but I quite enjoyed a tester I had of it.
    I found performance on the poor side, though I wouldn't see it as a deal breaker.

I never realised KC Black was a hidden gem, I thought it was a rather average fragrance in every sense. Pleasant and average.

Quote Originally Posted by The Colognnoisseur View Post
    Kenneth Cole Signature, perhaps?
    I had to look it up. Yep. That's their most solid offering. Kenneth Cole gift sets are literally everywhere this time of year.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I find I get good longevity from Black Bold.

Blog Entries

I encourage you guys check out Black Bold.. it's kind of like Black mixed with Dunhill Pure. It has like this uncommon floral note, with a watery vibe about it, it's really good though. It also has much better performance, especially on clothing. I got a compliment yesterday when I wore it. Well, maybe not so much a compliment, but I got noticed by someone who always asks me "what are you wearing today?". I can't remember if she said it smells nice or not, but she did notice it, or wouldn't have said anything. Pirces have come down a lot on Black Bold, and last I checked, you can get 3.4 oz bottles for 20 bucks.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

I always got reasonable performance out of it. But that's no guarantee it will do so on you.
    Only way to know for sure is to spray some on your wrist, and if it's still there with strength after three hours, it will be good for you. If it's gone entirely or pretty weak, not good for you.

But if you like it and it's going cheap, you can always increase performance.
    Spray it on, noting where you've sprayed it. Wait 20 seconds, then spray again exactly over the spots where you sprayed before.
    Performance is increased, but rate of useage is doubled.
    Regards,
    Renato

Thanks for the replies, need to know more from people about it's performance.