Code of Conduct
o

Default How to organzie oils and aroma chemicals?

I'm having difficulties making a coherent organization of my oils and AC's. I find myself mulling over my collection to find what I'm looking for.

I'd love to hear how you organize your perfumers organ. Do you prefer alphabetically? By scent classification (Floral, Woody etc)? or Base, Middle, Top? Some completely-other method?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom/ experience with me!!

Default Re: How to organzie oils and aroma chemicals?

I have absolutely no good method so will share only my main bad ones. Part of my problem is that my present situation requires everything not being worked on to be packed into small sealed containers.

First, or last, I have all the stuff that I may use someday but don't expect much need for as I don't feel a lot of promise from them and while it may be that with experience some may be just the ticket for specific tweaks, trying to learn that for each of probably a couple hundred of these is poor return on investment. So these are mostly in storage. However, I do try to periodically run through everything and all the time there are items that I had little interest in before that now seem to merit a place in the rotation.

Then, I have materials I have chosen as plausibly being used on current projects as one larger group, and the remainder as another larger group.

Within these groups things are divided into categories of aldehydes, citrus, various top notes, floral eo's, absolutes, and concretes, green, patchoulis and vetivers, musks, other base notes, and Various, with that tending to broken into more and less favored.

Alphabetical would have a lot going for it but I've never done that.

Right now mine are organized by bins of subtypes. Like I can pull out all peach materials. The down side is if something is ambiguous for me I have a hard time finding it. And once something is lost super hard to find it. I am considering alphabetical but I'm resistant because it's nice to work on a sandalwood accord and pull out the sandalwood basket.

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    And once something is lost super hard to find it. I am considering alphabetical but I'm resistant because it's nice to work on a sandalwood accord and pull out the sandalwood basket.
    Exactly, on both.

Also I notice I forgot the woods categories and subcategories in my post, and I do have sandalwoods separated out from other woods. It is nice to have such things together and, Ah, there they are, when wanting to work in a category.

Basenotes Member

Honestly I've been thinking about it lately as well.. I came to conclusion to sort it out firstly by notes and then alphabetically. I think that it may change in the future when my collection becames bigger because at this moment I have around 150-170 EO and AC, but I believe that some people have more then 2000 and in that case such an order may be difficult to organize, especially when You're constantly buying something new.

At some point, for sure, there must be a computer or really good paper inventory system.

Sadly, I just check my e-mail to see if/when I ordered something, if I'm not sure whether I have it or not and searching has failed so far. Of course that doesn't solve where I used something up and didn't replace, but most times (not all) I reorder so it's not that much of a problem. If I had anything like 2000 though, with my "methods" I'd be in a state of paralysis half the time not knowing where anything was or if I even had it.

Basenotes Plus

I have them divided by Top Middle and Base notes on alphabetical order

Hello everyone,

I use stickers I can write on. So first i write a T for Top a H for Heart and a B for Base. Then I classify them by the scent like W for woody F for floral etc. So at the end when I want to use a floral heart note I look for HF.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N975F mit Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I'm not sure I am the right person to respond, but I'll tell you what I do.
    I follow the way that my brain thinks, which is associatively.
    So, I have baskets holding thoughts/types/notes/groups.
    So, I have a milky creamy basket. Leather, Vetiver, earthy, different types of greens, etc.
    My Florals are in baskets of classifications and flower names, alphabetically. Same with Citruses, Fruits, spices.
    Musks are alphabetical, in their own baskets.
    Animalics have their own basket, Civet, Castoreum, animalic bases, etc.

My lab is rather large, but this is how it is organized. (A shelf is 40" wide, and has seven shelves per shelf rack)
    Naturals, bases, and single molecules are all intermingled, for the most part. But Sometimes naturals of something get their own basket, versus the synths of the same type or idea, or floral, etc. for example, there is a natural jasmine basket, and a natural Rose Basket, since each of those two florals has another three or four synthetic baskets, I separated out their naturals to their own basket.
    Shelfrack one is all single molecules that are hard to categorize, alphabetically.
    Each section below has several to many baskets, and arranged alphabetically in that section.
    Two is the florals. Each flower type has a basket or baskets.
    Three is the Schiff bases, Musks, animalics, fatty acids and ethyl esters, solvents, and a bit of a mish mash.
    Four is the Aldehydes, Citrus, Spices, Foody, gourmand, liquor, coffee, tea, sweet.
    Five is the ambers, resins, woods, Leathers, roots, earth, etc.
    Six is the greens, and remaining naturals that lean in that direction, leaves, etc.

Each shelf is 10 inches deep, so the baskets sit in front, and larger bottles or other baskets sit behind.
    Each shelf has LED lighting, so that I can easily see deeply to the back of each shelf.

I use baskets for all items, because if a California Earthquake occurs, I don't need a zillion bottles falling off their shelves and breaking.
    If the earthquake is strong enough to knock baskets off the shelf, than there is likely a whole lot more serious damage to the house, than just broken materials bottles.
    eeek.

Baskets.jpg
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

ooh that's an idea!

Brilliant! Thank you all. I'm going to first try to inventory everything on paper, then label each bottle (as Cotsip recommended) by note and scent group and then separate them into groupings like pkiler mentioned. I'm so grateful for this community

Paul! I will have to show that picture to my wife. Then she won't think so badly of me on this point.

(She already knows you are a genius, so seeing this could assure her that some jumbling and jammed-togetherness of bottles in baskets is okay.)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Paul! I will have to show that picture to my wife. Then she won't think so badly of me on this point.

(She already knows you are a genius, so seeing this could assure her that some jumbling and jammed-togetherness of bottles in baskets is okay.)
    My Dad was the recipient of the massive OCD dose in my family. Fortunately, I was not. LOL!

But since I'm the only one who has to work in there, (unless I have an apprentice here), it's my own mess to interpret and interact with! LOL!
    Just imagine the amount of space that would be needed if every bottle was lined up with little droppers in them! I'd probably need five times the real estate...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Probably by different families (citrus, mint, woods, floral, etc), and then by natural essential oils separated in a different group from synthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    Right now mine are organized by bins of subtypes. Like I can pull out all peach materials. The down side is if something is ambiguous for me I have a hard time finding it. And once something is lost super hard to find it. I am considering alphabetical but I'm resistant because it's nice to work on a sandalwood accord and pull out the sandalwood basket.
    You could alphabetize everything into a list, and then write on that list which bin you keep it in. That way, if you're having trouble finding something, you could look on your list.
    Then keep the list on a piece of paper folded up in one of the bins.

For what it's worth:

On my computer I have 3 lists. LIst # 1 is every synthetic material have (& certain naturals) in alphabetical order with detailed notes about each one + right after the name I have a designation in color for which type of note it is: Top in Orange -- Middle in red -- Base in green -- cross overs are in blue. Special qualities are in bold and underlined + other designations & writings are there that = my personal way of learning about a material beyond the basics + quotes from famous perfumers and critical info from BN members, etc.

List # 2 is above materials but in their 'group' -- Florals, Frutiy, Woody, Green etc. with subgroups some of which I've made-up due to my personal experience with the material, the certain effects I can get, etc. -- my own mad scientist type of info.

LIst # 3 contains any new materials I buy -- I keep them here until I get very familiar with them, and then I move them to list 1 and 2.

I find myself mostly referring to list # 1 because while looking through it I am constantly reminded of what I have, thus materials are not forgotten about + ideas and combos are sparked, and, and, and.

I don't have a list for naturals, EO's as most are self explantory and are already in my head -- easy recall when needed.

As for the materials themselves I keep them in these boxes with hinged lids and divided compartments -- each box is labeled with what it contains. Since I buy mostly 15ml or less, these boxes work well for me, for now -- though they are starting to add up! I have a smaller box for new materials (wine box), and I have labeled tupperware containers in the frige for materials that need to stay cold.

All of the above = a semblance of organization that unfortunately does not spill over to my bottles of blends in the maturation stage, sketches, failures, so-so's, successful wearables. Bottles are everywhere & written formulas are equally and disasterously ill kept -- some on index cards, some on scraps of paper, some on well designed printed forms, some typed on my computer. Complete chaos that I can't seem to tame. Hell's Kitchen --or kitchen hell -- so to speak. Remarkable that I know where everything is in spite of the mess that I am constantly adding to. Would be great if I had a room in my house that was dedicated soley to making perfume. Will be working on that room now that I know I want to continue on this journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisieux View Post
    I'm having difficulties making a coherent organization of my oils and AC's. I find myself mulling over my collection to find what I'm looking for.

I'd love to hear how you organize your perfumers organ. Do you prefer alphabetically? By scent classification (Floral, Woody etc)? or Base, Middle, Top? Some completely-other method?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom/ experience with me!!
    I separate the notes by 2 groups: single molecules and anything else that is composed by more than one molecule type: accords, resins, essential oil, etc.
    I organize them by olfactory family, followed by substantivity (the first group, single aroma molecules).
    I don't take into account the substantivity, for the second group.