Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Has Dolce & Gabbana - The One lost its relevance among fragrance enthusiasts?

Hey,

Hmm. It seems the buzz/interest that this fragrance used to command on the forum has dwindled dramatically. I noticed that it's not talked about much anymore in videos, on the forum, etc. Has this fragrance lost its luster? Is this scent becoming a bit of a 'has been'?

Default Re: Has Dolce & Gabbana - The One lost its relevance among fragrance enthusiasts?

I don't think so, just wished it was still available at official retail counters.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has Dolce & Gabbana - The One lost its relevance among fragrance enthusiasts?

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hey,

Hmm. It seems the buzz/interest that this fragrance used to command on the forum has dwindled dramatically. I noticed that it's not talked about much anymore in videos, on the forum, etc. Has this fragrance lost its luster? Is this scent becoming a bit of a 'has been'?
    Nah, just too ubiquitous for it's own good, like Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme. This is what happens when you milk a line with uninspiring flankers, you end up damaging the appeal of the original release. Same song and dance as Eternity for Men, Curve for Men, and so many others. The One at least had some forum buzz before fading in glory, and still gets a little talk because of the eau de parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I don't think so, just wished it was still available at official retail counters.
    I still see it everywhere at Nordstrom, Sephora, places like that.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    What do you mean? The main retailers still sell the stuff. Macy's, Sephora, Ulta, etc. Still out there.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Yeah, it's still around.

I think it's fine, but more interesting stuff preceded it.

a quarter million, tops

Still out there. Still smells great. Id assume it sells good based on the top notes, but its performance is just unacceptable. Great top, but that is easy to find. Enthusiasts can accept it for what it is, but know enough to acknowledge its deficits. Thats what id think.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Blog Entries

I think it’s a well understood fragrance that doesn’t warrant much further discussion. But the combination of amber, ginger, cardamom and tobacco is undoubtedly a winner and I have been considering getting a bottle of it back into my collection for old time’s sake.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

It's more of a "been there done that" fragrance.

I believe, sadly, Zealot is right. Just far too popular. It's one of the roughly 5 scents non fragrance people know and/or own/wear, due in no small part to the strength of the alright, alright, alright advertising campaign. In my mind, The One marked a moving away from one era - fresh, synthetic, aquatic-as-norm - in to another, more retro and, eventually, bombastic era of masculinity, with The One leading the charge, followed by 1 Million (one in the name as well) before perhaps the dark blue trend set in.

It was one of the first fragrances I owned and I have a first formulation bottle, for whatever that was worth - I always found performance to be decent, but not dreadful. It is clearly, clearly, CLEARLY an evening and/or formal scent, not a work scent, not a day to day scent. I cannot say I smell it on others frequently, but the general sense is that it IS a special fragrance - it was to me for a while - but it's very hard to still be special when it's simply so well known and well sold.

I also enjoyed The One Gentleman - a true flanker rather than minor tweak on the original - and wore that daily.

I'm really, really tempted to re-try both of them. I feel like I'm veering back towards designers and I'm not sure I've enjoyed anything more than these two, even if they are a touch on the boring and ubiquitous side of things respectively.

I would imagine - much like Sauvage - it's simply too popular to talk about and other people have the same feeling as I do. I have no problem with enjoying mass pleasing designer scents, but when something is SO popular, it just removes any sense of 'owning' the scent. You are merely another number to those who perceive you - if you own it and expect romantic attachments to it, forget it, as any partner cannot associate that smell with 'you' 12 years after release when it's been so ridiculously successful.

I'd be tempted to buy a bottle and wear it when it hit my 30s and 40s but I fear this is a scent that will sell and sell for decades to come. I really like it, and find Tom Ford's signature 'for Men' a decent, if not identical, fragrance that operates within the same realm albeit lacking the gravitas, depth, and masculinity of The One. Likewise Vera Wang for Men.

If anyone has any suggestions on simlar 'vibe' fragrances to any of these I'd love to hear them. Any price point welcome.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."

Nope! SOTD

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hey,

I could only speak for myself but when I did have a decant I always felt that it was missing something, restrained perhaps to its full potential. I always ended up choosing something else over it like Dior Homme Intense, La Nuit, Pure Malt... you name it over it. While it's a pleasing scent it's not one that I'm inclined to reach for.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I believe, sadly, Zealot is right. Just far too popular. It's one of the roughly 5 scents non fragrance people know and/or own/wear, due in no small part to the strength of the alright, alright, alright advertising campaign. In my mind, The One marked a moving away from one era - fresh, synthetic, aquatic-as-norm - in to another, more retro and, eventually, bombastic era of masculinity, with The One leading the charge, followed by 1 Million (one in the name as well) before perhaps the dark blue trend set in.

It was one of the first fragrances I owned and I have a first formulation bottle, for whatever that was worth - I always found performance to be decent, but not dreadful. It is clearly, clearly, CLEARLY an evening and/or formal scent, not a work scent, not a day to day scent. I cannot say I smell it on others frequently, but the general sense is that it IS a special fragrance - it was to me for a while - but it's very hard to still be special when it's simply so well known and well sold.

I also enjoyed The One Gentleman - a true flanker rather than minor tweak on the original - and wore that daily.

I'm really, really tempted to re-try both of them. I feel like I'm veering back towards designers and I'm not sure I've enjoyed anything more than these two, even if they are a touch on the boring and ubiquitous side of things respectively.

I would imagine - much like Sauvage - it's simply too popular to talk about and other people have the same feeling as I do. I have no problem with enjoying mass pleasing designer scents, but when something is SO popular, it just removes any sense of 'owning' the scent. You are merely another number to those who perceive you - if you own it and expect romantic attachments to it, forget it, as any partner cannot associate that smell with 'you' 12 years after release when it's been so ridiculously successful.

I'd be tempted to buy a bottle and wear it when it hit my 30s and 40s but I fear this is a scent that will sell and sell for decades to come. I really like it, and find Tom Ford's signature 'for Men' a decent, if not identical, fragrance that operates within the same realm albeit lacking the gravitas, depth, and masculinity of The One. Likewise Vera Wang for Men.

If anyone has any suggestions on simlar 'vibe' fragrances to any of these I'd love to hear them. Any price point welcome.
    Any Price point?

Avon Tomorrow for Men (2005) - similar structure with more cacao like Dior Homme without the iris. Very nice and does not smell cheap. Probably $20

Ramon Monegal Mon Patchouly (2009) - ironically patchouli is a minor player here. Fruitier top, mossier base, nice warm/sweet mid, and nuclear longevity. $185

Blog Entries

In part it might also have to do with the fact that The One is a tobacco fragrance that appealed heavily to the “bros” in the community, and now Herod has stepped into that space. There’s been a crowding out effect (you can see this transition on Jeremy Fragrance’s YouTube channel as an example). In fact PdM generally has stepped into that “woody designer” aesthetic that appeals to younger guys looking to draw compliments.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    It's more of a "been there done that" fragrance.
    Agree. Personally never piqued my interest.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    I think it’s a well understood fragrance that doesn’t warrant much further discussion. But the combination of amber, ginger, cardamom and tobacco is undoubtedly a winner and I have been considering getting a bottle of it back into my collection for old time’s sake.
    PdM is to Creed what Pepsi was to Coke in the 80's (at least here), which also plays a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    What do you mean? The main retailers still sell the stuff. Macy's, Sephora, Ulta, etc. Still out there.
    I see. Must be area specific. Haven't seen it at any macys or dillards in my reachable areas is quite some time. They only sell The One and Light Blue.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    In part it might also have to do with the fact that The One is a tobacco fragrance that appealed heavily to the “bros” in the community, and now Herod has stepped into that space. There’s been a crowding out effect (you can see this transition on Jeremy Fragrance’s YouTube channel as an example). In fact PdM generally has stepped into that “woody designer” aesthetic that appeals to younger guys looking to draw compliments.
    I honestly think its more of an Amber fragrance than it is a tobacco fragrance. I get one of the more pleasing amber notes in the game as the main player in The One (EDP anyhow). There (obviously) IS tobacco, but I get that delightful Amber in the drydown, with some cardamom, ginger, and fruit accompanying it. The tobacco is way in the background to my nose, where Herod has the note front and center. (for the record, I love Herod too, own a 2012 first year bottle and a current bottle)

...it never won mine (* out of 5)

Basenotes Plus

I appreciate it for what it is, might show some age but still excellent at what it does. I need to wear it more I’ve accumulated a few bottles since my first bottle, the rare flankers would be nice if they were easily obtainable nationwide though. I think The One will hold its own for a long while, some fragrances won’t go out of style I feel this is one of them imo.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I appreciate it for what it is, might show some age but still excellent at what it does. I need to wear it more I’ve accumulated a few bottles since my first bottle, the rare flankers would be nice if they were easily obtainable nationwide though. I think The One will hold its own for a long while, some fragrances won’t go out of style I feel this is one of them imo.
    |^| What he said

We don't talk about this enough, but the quasi-gourmand was the defining masculine genre of the 2000-2010 decade (if not in popularity than in brands' investment iin the style), and stuff like The One was largely a latecomer to the movement.

The One took a "fruity, formal tobacco" style that had been on the market for almost a decade (Michael, Baldessarini, Vera Wang, Tom Ford for Men) sanded off all the edges, and made it smooooooth.

It's good, and it still smells good when sampled alongside the considerably more underwhelming releases you'll find at the Macy's counter. But I'm not fascinated by it. It's too polished for its own good.

Well, it's been more than a decade, however I still find it to be a very good frag and not dated at all. It's not really overworn where I'm from, never was even back then when it was a youtube reviewers hype. I own the EDT and am very pleased with the performance, which is an issue for a lot of folks. For now I'm not considering owning the EDP as well.

One might try Smalto by FS. Black box, pinstripe pattern. More than a few resemblances to D&G , a *&@!¥-a-strong, lasts for days!
    You know one of those this smells like vintage that perhaps?!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    It's too polished for its own good.
    I totally get this take on it and I agree. It's impossible it seems not to like, sort of like pop music or 80's soft rock. It was engineered to please. In a community of fragrance lovers who awe at enigma-type oddball fragrances, D&G The One seems to be, well boring. But overall it can't be argued that it's sooo easy to enjoy and like for a large swath of noses/tastes.

What is the difference between the EDT and EDP? Just performance?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    What is the difference between the EDT and EDP? Just performance?
    Yeah. I own both and the EDP maybe only gets an additional 2 hours of air-time sillage before becoming a personal scent. They smell identical to my nose with maaaybe just a touch more of a powdery intensity from the EDP, but it's really hard to tell if my mind/imagination is just inventing a difference. IMO, I don't think I would pass a blind A/B test to identify them from each other.

They smell similar to me as well. Just that the EDP is stronger....it's a terrible descriptor, I know, but the EDP just feels smoother. Maybe a tad more spice, yet a little bit creamier as well.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

An attractively balanced but subtle (read: weak) fragrance. What else is there to this juice that warrants more conversation? It still shows up on fragrance recommendations for date nights, among others. Personally I prefer its flanker The One Gentleman.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

To be average in a crowded field is to lose relevance, yes it has lost relevance. The One and especially The One flankers have been surpassed by a flurry of competitors and has settled into relative obscurity. It's a fast moving and competitive world at the designer fragrance counter.
    december line up: z zegna milan • scent one hinoki • le labo baie 19 • le labo thé noir 29 • moth and rabbit la haine • heretic blood cedar • bvlgari man dark orient • madras cardamom • phuong dang artist • hermes osmanthe yunnan • boadicea the victorious imperial • olibanum profumum • fahrenheit parfum • dusita issara • papyrus oud/71 • oud alif • sahraa oud • mfk oud extrait • baccarat rouge 540 extrait

Smell Good, Feel Good

Just got one back in my wardrobe after not having it for a few years. I also have the EDP and Grey, all different enough and good enough for me to own. I still think the EDT smells GREAT, it's just simply a good, versatile fragrance. It gets compliments while still being a "dumb grab."
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread