Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Any amazing Camphor-centric fragrances out there?

Ulrich Lang Nightscape revolves around an ethereal camphoraceous patchouli. Terrific stuff, highly recommended

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Unfortunately, while the sample price is € 4,50 the shipping cost they are setting in my cart is a whopping/crazy € 169,40 That pretty much makes it a no go.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Dependent

Mostly all of Bogue’s fragrances have a big camphor like note in them

Pino silvestre, super cheap option that nobody's mentioned yet

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Unfortunately, while the sample price is € 4,50 the shipping cost they are setting in my cart is a whopping/crazy € 169,40 That pretty much makes it a no go.
    ...sounds ridiculous! You might ask Hednic how he deals with Parfumaria?
    Currently wearing: Icon Intense by Police

Basenotes Plus

Hey all,

I was not able to find a sample of Archives 69. So, if anyone wants to privately send me a tiny vial as a sample, I would appreciate.

I am going to buy Heeley - Espirit du Tigre. It was my finalist for what was recommended on here.

I also found a surprise item from my favorite shaving-company brand called "Grove" (by Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements). They brought it out of retirement as a 'seasonal' Christmas scent. On the website it said there is a camphorous aspect to it, so I figured I would order a sample since it's so cheap. I am blown away by this obscure one. It's one of Phoenix's best scents IMO. It's got a camphor aspect as it describes, but it's also got a really amazing Black Currant note that reminds me of Enchanted Forest Vagabond Prince, but BETTER. I have 'tried' to like two Black Currant-based fragrances (L'Ombre dans L'Eau and Vagabond Prince) that smell nice initially on paper but then are just 'missing' something. Well, I just found what that scent was missing in 'Grove'. The camphor note and......cranberry! What? Yeah. I wouldn't have thought it. Well it's also got a touch of apricot supposedly. This combo is, IMO, pretty special and this is now a 3rd Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements scent that I'm recommending (the other two are Atomic Age Bay Rum and Sangre de Drago). I'm pretty decisive on Grove being better than L'Ombre dans L'Eau and Vagabond Prince. So, I pulled the trigger on the shaving set and matching EDP. What's odd is I don't really consider this a "Christmas scent". It smells like a Spring scent IMO. It's as if someone took D.S. & Durga – Bowmakers and then added the Black Currant, Cranberry and touch of Apricot.

I still want to try Archives 69, so any help on that would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Areej Le Dore's Siberian Summer from ALD's new releases has a definite camphor note to me. In fact, it almost feels like it's built around camphor. There is a strong muskiness to it as well and some say it smells like urine to them, but it smells more like camphor overall to me. You could try a dabber sample from Lucky Scent if you wanted to check it out.
    My experiences as well. Camphor seems like the main accord in Siberian Summer.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    My experiences as well. Camphor seems like the main accord in Siberian Summer.
    I have the sample and when comparing to the 6 other samples I didn't find Siberian Summer to have a camphoric base.

Here are my thoughts on the scents I have samples of:

My top-3 camphor-centered finds so far:

1. Heeley – Espirit du Tigre (a camphorous mint scent)
    2. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Grove
    3. D.S. & Durga – Bowmakers (smells like Grove but without the fruity aspect)

I had a tough time picking from these 3 scents and ultimately chose both Espirit du Tigre and Grove.

Here are the ones I ‘passed’ on that I think Grove beats out:
    Serge LutensSerge Noir (Would have been in up there with the other 3 but it has some kind of ‘sneaky’ onion-like note in it that takes several seconds to detect. I kept thinking maybe I got onion on my fingers earlier or something but after revisiting it several times I get that some ‘odd’ onion’esque note. If not for that note it would be a fine, fine scent.)
    Serge Lutens – Tubereuse Criminelle (I kind of like it but I just don’t think the floral note meshes with a camphor as a pair of notes in the center of presentation. The duet just seems wrong but I think someone, somewhere would appreciate it.)
    Tiziana Terenzi – Laudano Nero (It’s okay, but has a poorly blended resin and lacks depth.)
    Comme des Garcons – Monocle Hinoke (A simple green-minty scent that honestly seems like it’s leaning exclusively on the quality of the ingredients, not on any great perfuming ideas. Smells clean and green, but with high end ingredients.)
    Areej le Dore – Siberian Summer (Masculine oakmoss, leather, fern type scent. It’s nice but the camphor influence is extremely minor, almost not even there and I’m looking for a camphor-central scent).

Heeley Espirit du Tigre
    Top fragrances of all time:
    1. Mancera Aoud Lemon Mint
    2. Frederic Malle Carnal Flower/Iris Poudre
    3. MFK Oud Satin Mood/Dior Oud Ispahan/Roja Dove Amber Aoud
    4. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Cologne
    5. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Forte
    6. Acqua di Parma Colonia Club/Amouage Beach Hut Man
    7. Zoologist Bee/Roja Dove Sweetie Aoud
    8. Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man/Club de Nuit Milestone
    9. Nasomatto Baraonda/Gallagher Fragrances Rosé All Dae
    10. Rogue Perfumery Chypre Siam/Penhaligon's Sartorial

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    ...Serge LutensSerge Noir (Would have been in up there with the other 3 but it has some kind of ‘sneaky’ onion-like note in it that takes several seconds to detect. I kept thinking maybe I got onion on my fingers earlier or something but after revisiting it several times I get that some ‘odd’ onion’esque note. If not for that note it would be a fine, fine scent.)
    Maybe that's the cumin you're smelling? I love SN and I really don't like the smell of onions...never detected that in it. Many people dislike SN simply because of the cumin.

Oh it's spelled "Noire"
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford