Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Use Glass to Turn Your Cheap Pinaud Clubman Aftershave into a Suave Smelling Scent.

Hey all,

Experienced wet shavers know that Clubman aftershave just isn't as good as it should be due to the plastic bottle that gives the aftershave a plastic smell.

I have done my research and found that when transferred to a glass bottle, Clubman aftershave will lose that plastic smell in 3-4 weeks and you'll get the real deal barbershop titan as it should smell.

First you're asking, "what bottle? which one do I buy?"

Then I know you're going to ask, "but Tim, how do I get that Pinaud Clubman label on to my awesome glass bottle"?

Easy. First, it took me a few hours of searching to find the perfect bottle (you're welcome, I did the work for you). Second, the glass bottle and aftershave cost me only $14.01. Third, I transferred the label from the plastic bottle to the glass bottle in just 10 minutes.

First I will show you the products and the link to the deals. Then I will explain how to transfer the label from the plastic bottle to the glass bottle.

Buy the glass bottle here $9.18 free shipping (you could buy anything you want, but this is a good item):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-ml-Glass-Flask-With-Metal-Screw-Cap/153235905723?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p20 57872.m2749.l2649

Buy the aftershave here for $4.83 free shipping:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?tag=thshde-20

Here is the finished product:

Instructions:

Step 1:
    Empty the aftershave from the crappy plastic bottle into the beautiful glass bottle where this amazing aftershave belongs.

Step 2:
    Use a metal hook or curved piece of metal to pop the reducer out of the mouth of the plastic bottle.

Step 3:
    Heat up 3 cups of water in the microwave until it's barely boiling in a measuring cup that is made for pouring liquid!

Step 4:
    BE CAREFUL and don't burn yourself!! And don't get the water on the label either! Not easy, but you CAN do this by tilting the plastic bottle and slowly pour the hot water in the plastic bottle until it reaches near the top.

Step 5:
    Wait a few minutes while the adhesive softens the glue on the label.

Step 6:
    Carefully, with your fingernail, find an edge/corner on the label and pry it up. It will be easier than you think. Peel the label slowly off. It will come off easier than you think but don't yank it off too fast.

Step 7:
    While the adhesive is still a bit warm, immediately stick the label on to the new glass bottle.

Like I said. The glass transfer makes this $4 aftershave smell like a fancy cologne worth more $$$ after several weeks when the plastic smell goes away. You're welcome. Your fragrance has been upgraded.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Default Re: Use Glass to Turn Your Cheap Pinaud Clubman Aftershave into a Suave Smelling Scent.

Great. i will try it too. Thank you.

Default Re: Use Glass to Turn Your Cheap Pinaud Clubman Aftershave into a Suave Smelling Scent.

One can also use an already emptied aftershave bottle to pour the stuff in.
    Saves a few bucks......
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

The results look impressive!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the tutorial, tspencer.

I have a plastic bottle of Brut aftershave, and I enjoy splashing some on once in a while. I have wondered, at times, whether the plastic bottle might have a negative effect on the scent. I felt like I was picking up on some sort of plastic quality; but I wasn't sure, either, if my imagination were involved. I didn't really pursue the inquiry. It was just sort of a passing thought.

At any rate, I think I'll give your tutorial a try. Maybe not right away because I will need to get an appropriate glass bottle. On that note, I imagine there's some flexibility in this regard. I might presently have some type of glass bottle/container that could work.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial, tspencer.

I have a plastic bottle of Brut aftershave, and I enjoy splashing some on once in a while. I have wondered, at times, whether the plastic bottle might have a negative effect on the scent. I felt like I was picking up on some sort of plastic quality; but I wasn't sure, either, if my imagination were involved. I didn't really pursue the inquiry. It was just sort of a passing thought.

At any rate, I think I'll give your tutorial a try. Maybe not right away because I will need to get an appropriate glass bottle. On that note, I imagine there's some flexibility in this regard. I might presently have some type of glass bottle/container that could work.
    When it comes to Fougere's like Brut, I suspect the manufacturer uses a dark bottle on purpose, so I would recommend you buy a blue/dark-tinted glass apothecary bottle to protect the potentially volatile green/vegetal notes in the scent. Just as a precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    When it comes to Fougere's like Brut, I suspect the manufacturer uses a dark bottle on purpose, so I would recommend you buy a blue/dark-tinted glass apothecary bottle to protect the potentially volatile green/vegetal notes in the scent. Just as a precaution.
    Ah, didn't think of that...thank you for the suggestion.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

Thanks for this. I bought Pinaud Clubman last week to splash on here and there and noticed upon first application there is a really harsh skunky smell that I never got before. It eventually dries down to the normal nice, barbershop smell I'm used to but I'd like it to lose that initial brace.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

I wonder if this train of thought would apply to anything packaged in plastic? lol
    Especially liquor. I NEVER buy liquor from a plastic bottle.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

empty Cholula bottles work well too.. perfect size, but you'd probably want to make your own label.

clubman.jpg

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

This is pretty neat.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Versus Uomo by Versace

Cool tutorial, thanks! I love Pinaud's Clubman and women go gaga over it while it lasts (heard it called "stripper catnip") so this is a great idea I'm gonna try! Pretty funny that the glass bottle costs twice as much as the actual juice

Yep - transfer to glass works very well. Except for, the "Veg" - I've had a bottle in glass for about two years now, and I still can't tolerate it! I'm definitely, "not chosen"!

How about an empty 1/2 pint size liquor bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Cool tutorial, thanks! I love Pinaud's Clubman and women go gaga over it while it lasts (heard it called "stripper catnip") so this is a great idea I'm gonna try! Pretty funny that the glass bottle costs twice as much as the actual juice
    Clubman is the last thing I would think would be considered “stripper catnip,” but you learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    How about an empty 1/2 pint size liquor bottle?
    Brilliant! Cheaper, functional, and you cop a cheap buzz, too.

I've actually done this with Clubman Special Reserve. I used an empty Captians Choice sandalwood bottle. I had to make my own label though.
    Your way is much smarter. I'm gonna do it.

Basenotes Plus

I would have never thought that the plastic smell would fade in a few weeks. Fantastic!

I am going to try this with my plastic bottle. I love Clubman.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by mistersurgery View Post
    Clubman is the last thing I would think would be considered “stripper catnip,” but you learn something new everyday.
    Maybe he's talking about the residents of his local stripper retirement home.

Great tip about getting the label off. The only problem would be putting on the new bottle straight.
    Currently wearing: Arabie by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Plus

Ahem! My two newest beauties.

Empty Gillette Cool Wave aftershave bottles are the best, imho. My previous choice was empty Aqua Velva bottles but since they switched to plastic you don't come across them often unless you're hunting on eBay.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Empty Gillette Cool Wave aftershave bottles are the best, imho. My previous choice was empty Aqua Velva bottles but since they switched to plastic you don't come across them often unless you're hunting on eBay.
    Here is actual Williams Aqua Velva from Spain (most wet shavers say 'this' is the closest you can get today to what the vintage Aqua Velva was like) and it's in a glass bottle.

https://www.smallflower.com/williams...SABEgJEpvD_BwE

I combine my Aqua Velva with Nautica Voyage (I love that combo):

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Here is actual Williams Aqua Velva from Spain (most wet shavers say 'this' is the closest you can get today to what the vintage Aqua Velva was like) and it's in a glass bottle.

https://www.smallflower.com/williams...SABEgJEpvD_BwE

I combine my Aqua Velva with Nautica Voyage (I love that combo):
    I still have about 1/4 left from a big 7oz glass bottle of AV Ice Blue I picked up at Target before the switch to plastic. I am curious to compare the Spanish version.

You should track down a vintage (frosted glass bottle) version of Old Spice Pure Sport aftershave. One of the best "blue" fragrances I've encountered. I haven't tried the new stuff in plastic to know if it's changed or not.

Very original. Glad this works for you! Would have always loved a clubman EDT.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I don't like Clubman but I love what you did with the bottle. Almost makes me want to purchase it again just to have this classic glass bottle on my shelf.

As I recall years ago the smaller bottle of Clubman used to be glass, the bigger one has been plastic for a long time.I don't know why these companies don't stick with the glass bottles.Charge a little more if they must.Plastic really ruins the scent of a fragrance.I occasionally use Aqua Velva and I put it in an older empty Prorasso glass afterhave bottle,but I should not have to do that.

I have also noticed that when it comes to aftershaves it is mostly the American companies that switched to cheap plastic bottles.Most of the companies that I know of from the countries in Europe for example still use glass bottles.

A belated thanks for the recommendations and the visuals-bringing this particular classic to its well deserved presentation and allowing to fully enjoy the scent
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain