Code of Conduct
Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2020

I recently received a small bottle of vintage Lentheric Shanghai EDC...easy decision!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Blend 30 by Dunhill

Where were you, Zilpha? I was in Minamisenba in Osaka.

Sadly my just bought bottle of I See The Clouds Go By had to be shipped from the warehouse. Cherry blossom is one of my absolute favorite scents so I am delighted to own this. So I will be wearing Panda on Friday, also bought today.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post

I'm planning on wearing Chypre Siam, however.
    That's a good one to choose. In addition to the chypye, it also has some oriental aspects as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    Where were you, Zilpha? I was in Minamisenba in Osaka.

Sadly my just bought bottle of I See The Clouds Go By had to be shipped from the warehouse. Cherry blossom is one of my absolute favorite scents so I am delighted to own this. So I will be wearing Panda on Friday, also bought today.
    Yokosuka Naval Base, south of Yokohama, for two years many, many moons ago.

I had to look up I see the clouds go by. I did not know that Floraiku are the same people that started Memo.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Yokosuka Naval Base, south of Yokohama, for two years many, many moons ago.

I had to look up I see the clouds go by. I did not know that Floraiku are the same people that started Memo.
    I have been to Yokohama when I was living in Osaka!

I See The Clouds Go By is absolutely lovely. I've been searching for a perfect cherry blossom fragrance for a while and this is it for me. It's a bit on the pricier side but cherry blossoms are my favorite flowers and bring back a lot of great memories. Plus the bottles are gorgeous! I am a bit afraid to try their other fragrances for fear of falling in love too much.

Well, I will go with Mitsouko.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Very psyched - I have a bunch of options. Too many. And on top of all the obvious ones (Asian designer, Asian component or theme, Asian name, fragrance from Asia), there is Luca Turin's review of Original Santal:

"A vile, cheap, cloying masculine that would be disheartening as the smell of the hotel shampoo in Ulan-Ude."
    Ulan-Ude!

Of course, I love this fragrance, but only once every year or so. It's a bit nuclear.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Tomorrow’s synch will be the perfect occasion to wear my Shiseido Inoui parfum (1975). It’s a crystalline green chypre with delicate conifer notes.

Going over this week's theme I'm surprised how many of my scents have and Asian 'theme' or name. I leaves me with many options, I'll stick to the ones with literal Asian references to keep things concise.

Tsarina - Russia = Asian, although in my head it's kind of its own thing
    Siberian Musk - same thing, I'll leave out the 'Russian' named scents by Areej, as I think they are named after the perfumer, and not a reference to the country
    Samsara - the continuous cycle of life, death, and reincarnation envisioned in Hinduism
    Coromandel - coromandel screens were originally from Indonesia, I think
    Do Son - named after a place in Vietnam
    Gold Woman - has a clear Middle Eastern vibe with all that incense
    Le Jardin de Monsieur Li - inspired by a Chinese garden
    Mitsouko - needs no introduction
    Qi - breath or life force in Chinese culture

I think I'll go with Qi, as it is one of my latest crushes and it feels appropriate as we're nearing spring. It's a gorgeous green tea and osmanthus scent that is delicate and light while also invigorating and glowing.
    Last edited by yellowtone; 13th February 2020 at 09:01 PM.

Blog Entries

l'll be going with Ashoka by Neela Vermeire, named for the emperor who ruled India in the 3rd century BC. He started out as a fierce warrior & conquerer, before converting to Buddhism & becoming a man of peace.

The fragrance is a beautiful blend of mimosa, fig & sweet tobacco, & for me, it's lovely to wear in springtime.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Ishtar by Rogue Perfumery

Basenotes Plus

At first I thought I'd sit out this sync, since I don't much care for the category of perfumes known as "oriental", nor do I much like incense scents.

But then Yellowtone's mention of Qi made me realize that even though I'm also not overly fond of purely floral scents, there is one that I adore in both its botanical and perfumery forms: the mighty Chinese osmanthus.

If you don't know the tree itself and its fragrant blooms, they smell to me like an apricot tea -- lightly spicy and almost, but not quite, narcotic. And probably my favorite rendition of them in perfumery is in vintage 1000 by Jean Patou, which I'm happy to wear for the Friday Sync.

Osmanthus fragrans, AKA sweet olive, tea olive, and fragrant olive, is a species native to Asia from the Himalayas through southern China to Taiwan and southern Japan and southeast Asia as far south as Cambodia and Thailand.

In China, it is the "city flower" of the cities of Hangzhou, Suzhou, and Guilin. In Japan, it is the "city tree" of Kitanagoya, Aichi Prefecture, and the "town tree" of Yoshitomi, Fukuoka Prefecture.

It is cultivated as an ornamental plant in gardens in Asia, Europe, North America, and elsewhere in the world for its deliciously fragrant flowers which carry the scent of ripe peaches or apricot.
    [Wikipedia]

Freed from BN Institution

Decided to sync with my sample Mitsouko Fleur de Lotus - a beautiful asian influenced scent.

Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    At first I thought I'd sit out this sync, since I don't much care for the category of perfumes known as "oriental", nor do I much like incense scents.

But then Yellowtone's mention of Qi made me realize that even though I'm also not overly fond of purely floral scents, there is one that I adore in both its botanical and perfumery forms: the mighty Chinese osmanthus.

If you don't know the tree itself and its fragrant blooms, they smell to me like an apricot tea -- lightly spicy and almost, but not quite, narcotic. And probably my favorite rendition of them in perfumery is in vintage 1000 by Jean Patou, which I'm happy to wear for the Friday Sync.
    Qi is very much an apricot/tea fragrance, if you haven't tried it yet I suggest you do! I have never smelled actual osmanthus, so I might be entirely wrong here. That bottle of 1000 is looking good. Doe sit smell very different from the current day version? I've only tried that, but I don't remember smelling any osmanthus there.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    Qi is very much an apricot/tea fragrance, if you haven't tried it yet I suggest you do!
    Clearly I should!

That bottle of 1000 is looking good. Does it smell very different from the current day version? I've only tried that, but I don't remember smelling any osmanthus there.
    I've never tried the current version.

Cook.bot, I haven't seen nor smelled the actual osmanthus, but I love its scent in perfumery! It's just so... soft and dreamy. I'm not sure I get anything peachy in it, but it's probably that softness that comes across as peachy/apricot-like to better noses. I thought I'm not that much into flowers before smelling osmanthus in Narciso Rodriguez For Her and then in several more fragrances later, but the more I smell things, the less generalizations I can make. For example, there are so many different ways a rose can smell, it can range from extatic love to absolute disinterest to me, therefore I cannot say that I love it nor that I merely like it or even dislike it. It's all at once.

I'm synching with Bvlgari Black today, reading about Lapsang souchong tea and trying to find its note hidden in the fragrance. It seems like Lapsang souchong is the first black tea in history. It's roasted in bamboo basket over burning firewood, and it gives it a smoky scent. I think I should smell the actuall tea first. It's been quite a while since I last visited a tea shop, maybe it's time to visit it. (I usually just drink my favourites Earl grey and Darjeeling or grab something absolutely random for a change)

And I absolutely enjoy seeing all your choices and thought processes!

Basenotes Plus

Oriental Pearl... by Shanghai Tang
    fa shizzle...

Basenotes Plus

Congrats, on your 1,000 posts, clockwork!
    fa shizzle...

Won't be Synching until evening, but something ambery or oriental, such as MFK Grand Soir, Boucheron Jaipur (EdP), or Etro Shaal Nur. If the weather had been warmer, I might have considered Etro Palais Jamais with its tea note (aha, must remind myself that one will fit Clockwork Alice's Breakfast Synch).
    Summer 2020 : Guerlain Vetiver; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Etro Gomma; Palais Jamais and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany; Caron Yatagan and Third Man; Knize Ten ; Parfums d'Empire Eau de Gloire and Corsica Furiosa; Anatole Lebreton L'Eau de Merzhin; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Decided to sync with my sample Mitsouko Fleur de Lotus - a beautiful asian influenced scent.

I missed an opportunity to buy a bottle of this years ago. Still kicking myself! Good call for the sync!

I am wearing Neela Vermeire's BOMBAY BLING.
    This is a riot of Indian market smells and quite intoxicating.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Congrats, on your 1,000 posts, clockwork!
    Thank you!
    It was really nice that my 1000th post was in Synch thread which is one of my favourites AND on Bvlgari Black which I love.

Doin' the whole Silk Road in a couple of sprays - Epic Woman - powerful stuff... probably should have gone with one spray from several feet away...

Basenotes Plus

In synch with Kenzo Flower Le Parfum. Kenzo Takada was born in Japan and moved to Paris in 1964 to start his fashion career.

"I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur by Boucheron

Basenotes Plus

I ended up going with Journey Man. It's in my top three of all time, so I'm always looking for an excuse to wear it (not that I really need one).

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

Samurai.jpg

Middle East meets Far East, albeit by way of Italy. It's been so long since I've worn Abdes Salaam, I'd almost forgotten how brilliant he is.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I forgot all about this one!!! I rarely wear it, but it's a good one. Modern, unisex, powdery floral, but with certain interesting woods and spices underneath.

Guerlain Une Ville, Un Parfum 05 - Shanghai

SHANGAI.jpg

Went with Panda for today because I See The Clouds Go By still isn’t here yet. I love this fragrance and am happy I decided to pull the trigger on it! I can’t wait to try more Zoologists and hope I find some I love.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Wow! Nice choice!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick58 & Beth62 View Post
    Wow! Nice choice!!!!
    Thanks! It completely slipped my mind that I had this!

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast