Code of Conduct
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2020

Idylle Duet.jpg

Trying so hard to remember that winter doesn't last forever... It just feels like it.

Basenotes Plus

In the spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of... trying not to touch his face when the onslaught of yellow pollen causes constant itchy, drippy eyes and nose. Not to mention all the other tsouris we have right now.

I'm having lots of trouble mustering enthusiasm for a spring scent, so I decided to pull out the big gun, the happiest, greenest scent I own: Annick Goutal's Ninfeo Mio. If this doesn't do it I might be a lost cause.

NinfeoMio_Nymphs.jpg

Finally a sync I can participate in!

One of my favorite things about spring is hanami. Cherry blossoms and plum blossoms are gorgeous and notes I actively seek in fragrances, despite so little being made that actually have any longevity or, in my opinion, complexity. Nightingale is one of my favorite fragrances that capture the feeling of hanami in Japan. I talked about this a while ago for another sync, but hanami is something I miss very dearly, even more so during social distancing...

Will be wearing Nightingale to the sync. If it doesn't last the day I will come back with another springy one for my SOTE.
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Zoologist
    Frederic Malle
    Amouage
    Rogue Perfumery
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, and violet)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres
    Rich gourmands
    Great longevity and sillage

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

In sync with French Lover
    Currently wearing: L'Homme Sage by Divine

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

On to Fleurs d'Ombre Violette-Menthe by Jean-Charles Brosseau

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

My daffodils are up, but not open. Egging them on with Fazzolari Au Delà Narcisse (des Montagnes) and Hendley Narcis.

I’m wearing Diorissimo as planned and smelling like a fresh Spring day in the flower garden.

The bottle below is what I wanted to have a first wear of for today’s evening sync but for weeks it has foiled my attempts to open it. The coil of wire is what I am using to heat the neck with a soldering iron, and the cotton at the top of the stopper (not the frilly collar) has been soaked in alcohol. If I luck changes and I succeed today it will be my SOTE, if not I will be wearing it in my mind

9B12ED98-CF5B-4EE3-B26E-CE89B025707E.jpg
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

I'm having lots of trouble mustering enthusiasm for a spring scent, so I decided to pull out the big gun, the happiest, greenest scent I own: Annick Goutal's Ninfeo Mio. If this doesn't do it I might be a lost cause.
    Well that sounds very good!

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    Finally a sync I can participate in!

One of my favorite things about spring is hanami. Cherry blossoms and plum blossoms are gorgeous and notes I actively seek in fragrances, despite so little being made that actually have any longevity or, in my opinion, complexity. Nightingale is one of my favorite fragrances that capture the feeling of hanami in Japan. I talked about this a while ago for another sync, but hanami is something I miss very dearly, even more so during social distancing...

Will be wearing Nightingale to the sync. If it doesn't last the day I will come back with another springy one for my SOTE.
    I have never tried a Cherry Blossom scent but your post encouraged me to try again with a bottle I have. Nightingale sounds lovely in the way it evokes memories of Hanami.

Some nice choices for the season, plus several I've not even heard of before. In Synch with the obvious for Spring Equinox : Penhaligon's Ostara. Not at all my kind of thing, but at this time of the year I'm prepared to wear it for a week or so to celebrate the approach of spring, and I do love the scent of pheasant-eye narcissi - just not on me.
    Spring Equinox : with lighter leathers, greens and fougeres, and a few florals. FBs : Etro Gomma and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage and Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany. Samples/decants : Penhaligon's Sartorial and Ostara; Dior Fahrenheit; KnizeTen, Sec, and Forest; Piguet Futur ; Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    The bottle below is what I wanted to have a first wear of for today’s evening sync but for weeks it has foiled my attempts to open it. The coil of wire is what I am using to heat the neck with a soldering iron, and the cotton at the top of the stopper (not the frilly collar) has been soaked in alcohol. If I luck changes and I succeed today it will be my SOTE, if not I will be wearing it in my mind

Now, there’s a d’Orsay I’ve never even seen before. Looks purty! I’ve had good luck on old, stuck glass stoppers with a combination of freezing, alcohol, and rocking the stopper back and forth. Haven’t tried to “hotwire” a bottle before, though I’ve read about it. Keep us posted!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Now, there’s a d’Orsay I’ve never even seen before. Looks purty! I’ve had good luck on old, stuck glass stoppers with a combination of freezing, alcohol, and rocking the stopper back and forth. Haven’t tried to “hotwire” a bottle before, though I’ve read about it. Keep us posted!
    Well if I ever get it open you’ll get a sample.

Basenotes Plus

Well if I ever get it open you’ll get a sample.
    <puts hammer in the mail>

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    <puts hammer in the mail>
    Seriously though. After several freezer/alcohol/freezer/oil/freezer cycles, a light tap with a screwdriver got my Nuit de Noel Parfum stopper open. Just a little chip to remember the experience by. Worth it!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Freed from BN Institution

I’m wearing Diorissimo as planned and smelling like a fresh Spring day in the flower garden.

That bottle is a beauty. I still haven't explored D'Orsay but I'm considering after seeing all of these eye popping bottles in the vintage forum.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Seriously though. After several freezer/alcohol/freezer/oil/freezer cycles, a light tap with a screwdriver got my Nuit de Noel Parfum stopper open. Just a little chip to remember the experience by. Worth it!
    Please do describe your process especially the application of the screwdriver either here or in a PM. I don’t collect bottles for the glass so this is useless unless I get it open. Would be preferable to have an intact stopper and not have to drill a stub out if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    That bottle is a beauty. I still haven't explored D'Orsay but I'm considering after seeing all of these eye popping bottles in the vintage forum.
    I have several and can send you some. (Staying away form the post office just now though).

Please do describe your process especially the application of the screwdriver either here or in a PM. I don’t collect bottles for the glass so this is useless unless I get it open. Would be preferable to have an intact stopper and not have to drill a stub out if possible.
    Not much to it, really. First preference should always be the freezer/oil/alcohol method as it's the most gentle...but if repeated attempts come up short, the tapping method might be needed.

Start with something small like a spoon, screwdriver or butter knife handle, and just tap the stopper. I like starting with plastic screwdriver handles. Lightly, then try it. Then a little harder, then try it. Tap it from all angles. Move to larger tappers as needed. This "shocks" or breaks up the crusty oils in there. I've only done this a few times (and again, it's a last resort measure), but it does seem to work.

To your point, bottle damage isn't ideal, but if we're in it for the liquid, it's better to end up with a chipped but working stopper than to have the stuff trapped.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I have several and can send you some. (Staying away form the post office just now though).
    That would be wonderful. Best to avoid any excessive trips outside, like the PO for the time being until the pandemic subsides.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I have a few options for this Friday: Chanel - No 46, No 22, and No 5 and Guerlain Vega.

I am going to be lazy and just go for No5 edt version.
    DONNA

For tomorrow I. Can wear No 5, No 5 eau premiere, Iris Poudreé, a sample of Amouage Gold and Mystere perhaps?

I'm afraid I do not have any aldehydes for Zilpha's aldehyde day.
    Unless I have and I don't know about it - if there's something aldehydic in my wardrobe or samples and I'm oblivious to it - please let me know.

Otherwise, if Zilpha has any additional ideas for her day or wants to choose any scent from my wardrobe or samples for me to wear for her day tomorrow, I'll happily wear it

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I'm afraid I do not have any aldehydes for Zilpha's aldehyde day.
    Unless I have and I don't know about it - if there's something aldehydic in my wardrobe or samples and I'm oblivious to it - please let me know.

Otherwise, if Zilpha has any additional ideas for her day or wants to choose any scent from my wardrobe or samples for me to wear for her day tomorrow, I'll happily wear it

I found your offer kind of funny - I can't smell you over here, dear. You could lie about it and I would never know. But if you can find that sample of MFK Lumiere Noire pour Femme, that's one I really like. If not, then one of the Narciso's that suits your weather.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

I had to check out 'search by notes' on Fragrantica, and found three options in my wardrobe : Hermes Equipage - perfect for all occasions; almost a certainty for tomorrow Penhaligon's Sartorial (yeh, shoulda guessed from the opening that it has aldehydic notes) - too formal for wfh Maurer & Wirtz Tabac original
    Spring Equinox : with lighter leathers, greens and fougeres, and a few florals. FBs : Etro Gomma and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage and Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany. Samples/decants : Penhaligon's Sartorial and Ostara; Dior Fahrenheit; KnizeTen, Sec, and Forest; Piguet Futur ; Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    I had to check out 'search by notes' on Fragrantica
    Ditto. I didn’t find a single one on their aldehyde list that is in my full bottle cabinet or my samples basket. So I scanned Alkemia’s notes list and eureka! Turns out I do have something to sync with tomorrow.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Back in the Sync after missing many for seasonal reasons and illness. I think I've only worn a fragrance twice in the last couple of weeks, although I have been enjoying some indian sandalwood soap and burning Japanese sandalwood incense and a rather sweet agarwood incense.

I'm syncing in 2 Man. From what I understand, 2 and 2 Man are a fascinating study in aldehydes, with 2 being more more traditionally "perfumey" aldehydes (even numbered?) while 2 Man goes for aldehydes with a scorched wax aroma (odd numbered) to generate that burnt candle smell.

Just going on this review and what some people have commented here on Basenotes
    https://www.cafleurebon.com/cafleure...-of-being-odd/

When I smelled Comme des Garcons 2 Man (CdG2 Man) soon after its release it was so odd smelling to me that at first I resisted its charms. It wasn’t until a subsequent visit that I sprayed some on my wrist and as it unfolded over the day on my skin I found it engrossing. It was like nothing I had ever encountered, up until that time; it had a strong smell of hot candle wax over frankincense and wood. It was like standing in a church apse after the candles have been snuffed and the smoking censer is still on the shelf with the smell of the polished wood. I don’t find the smell of hot candle wax particularly appealing but the combination in CdG2 Man was beautiful. How could this be? There is a one word answer: aldehydes.

Undecanal The 11-Carbon Aldehyde
    In 1921 Ernest Beaux introduced the world to the use of aldehydes in perfume with the creation of Chanel No. 5. These were volatile molecules with a citrus quality to them and they added the special quality that has almost come to be emblematic of Chanel No. 5. The aldehydes used in most perfumes are these citrus-like even numbered aldehydes made up of eight, ten, or twelve carbons. What about the poor nine, eleven and thirteen carbon aldehydes? Why aren’t they used? In an interesting phenomenon which Luca Turin mentioned in Chandler Burr’s 2002 book “The Emperor of Scent” the even numbered aldehydes have the pleasant citrus quality with a bit of a waxy quality underneath. The odd numbered ones were the reverse the scorched wax quality would predominate over an almost more floral character. As an organic chemist I was able to validate this experiment by having a friend hand me vials with a 0.5% solution of each of the six aldehydes from eight to twelve carbons. In ten trials I effectively split them in two groups every time with the odd numbered ones in one group and the even ones in another. Repetition did make it easier but there was never really one that was close to going in the other group. Having done this when I experienced the scorched candle wax in CdG 2 Man I was pretty sure the odd numbered aldehydes were the culprit.
    I suspect there may also be some fizzy aldehydes in the opening, like those often paired with frankincense to give it a slightly effervescent nature.

I enjoy 2, and finished a decant of it, but 2 Man is perhaps my favorite scent of all time. It was certainly one of the fragrances that got me hooked on this hobby. Definitely a masterpiece.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Basenotes Plus

Joining the No 5 crowd today . Best version (IMHO)

Going with a vintage sample of No 5 perfume thanks to grayspoole.

Blog Entries

l'm not a lover of aldehydes, & l wanted to do some sampling instead today, but of course l'll be reading all your posts here as usual!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    I found your offer kind of funny - I can't smell you over here, dear. You could lie about it and I would never know. But if you can find that sample of MFK Lumiere Noire pour Femme, that's one I really like. If not, then one of the Narciso's that suits your weather.
    I know I'm being silly here, but I wanted to participate despite not having aldehydic fragrances.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I'm gladly wearing and trying out Lumière Noire pour Femme today - I was waiting for the right day to finally try it out, and I think it's a very right occasion. I do like it. It's a beautiful rose and patchouli with some greenness underneath - the official notes tell me that this greenness is narcissus, a beautiful spring flower (which really smells like some greenness) that should be blooming in the gardens here right now. Reading reviews I see quite a lot of people getting urine smell in this fragrance, but I don't, I'm getting elegant patchouli and flowers.

Happy Zilpha's day!

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast