Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Question On Oleg Cassini For Men

Hi guys,
    Have any of y'all tried the mid-vtg version pictured here? I wanna have a go at it and just wanted to hear you impressions.
    I have heard good things about it here and there, though.
    I've read the reviews which I think is mostly for the deep-vtg version (which I'm really not that interrested in).
    But any info/help on this pictured version is greatly appreciated.
    TIA,
    M
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Question On Oleg Cassini For Men

The original Oleg Cassini was made in conjunction with Jovan until the latter became a downmarket brand and the former struck out with different perfume licensees to make their fragrances. I'm guessing this is an entirely different fragrance because of that, but that's all I can say on it. Scant information otherwise. There was also a third version just called Cassini for Men, which is also an entirely different fragrance.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The original Oleg Cassini was made in conjunction with Jovan until the latter became a downmarket brand and the former struck out with different perfume licensees to make their fragrances. I'm guessing this is an entirely different fragrance because of that, but that's all I can say on it. Scant information otherwise. There was also a third version just called Cassini for Men, which is also an entirely different fragrance.
    Thx, ZC. Yeah I'm more or less familiar with the history of it, but that's about it. The Cassini for Men I'm aware of but was never taken into consideration.
    I think, though I's ain't sure, that the black version was a relaunch of the original.
    Speaking of the original, what an outrageously '70s bottle-design (Dinand?)! Love that.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Thx, ZC. Yeah I'm more or less familiar with the history of it, but that's about it. The Cassini for Men I'm aware of but was never taken into consideration.
    I think, though I's ain't sure, that the black version was a relaunch of the original.
    Speaking of the original, what an outrageously '70s bottle-design (Dinand?)! Love that.
    Yes the 70's bottle of Cologne was so very Contemporary. The scent was extraordinary. Very strong, distinctively Masculine. A unicorn that I wish I'd purchased in the 70's. Then again I was an Eau Sauvage, Givenchy Gentleman sort of guy.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Simply a stunning one. I love this fragrance. From my full review on the Directory: "Hesperidic, honeyed and retrò, Oleg Cassini is a classic chypre for man with an uncompromisingly manly and animalic woody/patchouli-centered soul and a plain sort of "vintage honeyed-spicy-mossy" temperament. In perfect tune with the classic animalic-woody chypre tradition. I have a sample of this more recent formula and It smells still excellent. If you appreciate scents a la Mandate Edt original Shulton formula, Arrogance Pour Homme, Monsieur Rochas, Captain Molyneux, Moustache Rochas, Aramis Devin, Geo F. Trumper Eucris etc this fragrance would whet your appetite. A herbal-hesperidic, aromatic/barber-shop and retro mélange of wax, musks, roots, aromatic hesperides, amber, aldehydes and woods, overall encompassed by an almost liturgical and moldy spicy-incensey blanket. I get the Givenchy Gentleman's reference (due to a remarkable dry patchouli's presence) despite Oleg Cassini is richer and more focused on honey, waxy patterns and hesperides. In particular Oleg Cassini for men seems combining on my skin the classic Denim's stout bitter patchouli (Denim is the fragrance smelling closer to Oleg Cassini imo) with a final Gianfranco Ferre for Man's woodsy-mossy-leathery luxuriouness (I get the mossy-spicy vetiver in here) and a soapy-aldehydic kind of waxiness (and a mossy-aromatic patchouli as well) a la Arrogance Pour Homme. The miracle is how the final evolution manages to perform a quite balanced and light honeyed-animalic-aldehydic-rosey accord rich of forbidding class and old-school honeyed mossy classicism. I get a rich combination of sharp floral notes (a severe rose-geranium combo), oakmoss-labdanum, a dry spicy-aromatic-resinous patchouli and a luxurious accord of honey, animalic notes, hesperides, soft leather, woods and tobacco. Dry down is surprisingly aerial, translucent (almost dazzling a la Helmut Lang Cologne) and still softly honeyed and musky (yet at same time warm and visceral). There is anyway a darker dodgy soul kind of vintage and rooty-mossy (softly leathery). Slightly out of time this fragrance is anyway an example of perfectly orchestrated complexity in which a congeries of diverse notes seems ending down a softly flowing whiff of solemnity."
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Re: Darvant’s description ^^^

While reading this oratory on something never before on my radar a Philip Glass piece played in the background, thus putting me in a state of utter mesmerization. . . . and I don’t think I’ve ever moved faster to place a fragrance on my test list. Oh, and with a note to myself to procure it ASAP.

lol!

Yes, I have one and it's quite good.
    Not very original and/or different from classic masculine scents from Seventies (i.e: oakmoss/woody/patchouly bombs), but enough to say it's really a good one.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you all very much for chipping in! It was very helpful and gave me just the right push to take the plunge.
    So, tonite I ordered 2 x 0.85/25mL of OCFM (pictured):
    I'm very excited to try it, so thank yous kindly!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    …tonite I ordered 2 x 0.85/25mL of OCFM…
    I've been considering that same deal. It's inexpensive enough, so maybe I'll go for it as well and then compare it to the Jovan partial heading my way.

I purchased a large bottle a few years ago , from an Italian Ebay shop ..
    Reminded me of vintage Quorum .. Like 95% similiar .
    I must go checkmy bottle of OC to see if its a splash ?
    Darvant can you do a side by side ?
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 20th November 2019 at 06:24 AM.

" Wanted " empty bottle of Macassar
    Currently wearing: Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I purchased a large bottle a few years ago , from an Italian Ebay shop ..
    Reminded me of vintage Quorum .. Like 95% similiar .
    I must go checkmy bottle of OC to sed if its a splash ?
    Darvant can you do a sideby side ?
    It is a nice perfume. Old school, good mannered. A lot of Mediterranean spices in there.
    Something between Krizia Uomo and Burberry’s.
    Last edited by Monsieur Montana; 19th November 2019 at 04:03 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Ordered this too. Looking forward to receiving it - I'd love to hear your thoughts once you get yours!
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rybot View Post
    Ordered this too. Looking forward to receiving it - I'd love to hear your thoughts once you get yours!
    Sounds great, Rybot! Got it a few days ago and it smells so good. I think you are right about Quorum. To me, it's like a cross between Quorum and Francesco Smalto ('87) with a bit of Adidas ('85) for the juniper and castoreum parts concerned. Longevity is not atomic, but very decent considering its age. Thumbs up!

Basenotes Junkie

Just got mine today - waiting for it to reach room temperature (cold outside) before I give it a test spray! If it is like Quorum, which is one of my favourites, then I am stoked!!

Basenotes Junkie

So, yes. Similar to quorum, also wall street by victor which I cherish. This is a huge thumbs up for me. Love love love!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rybot View Post
    So, yes. Similar to quorum, also wall street by victor which I cherish. This is a huge thumbs up for me. Love love love!
    Yeeeeah, I had a feeling you might dig it. The opening on application is stunning. Enjoy!