Code of Conduct
o

Default John Varvatos artisan Pure performance....

ok, I picked up a bottle of JV artisan pure at a local discounter at a really good price.

Best I can tell, it lasts beyond a skin scent for maybe an hour.

Is this typical? Is the performance really that bad, or is this a case of olfactory fatigue. I've read somewhere that fragrances that are mostly dominated by a single type of note (and lets face it, this is a blast of citrus on the opening) can be more likely to cause olfactory fatigue.

I haven't really wore it in public yet to see if anyone else can notice it on my without actually burying their nose in my neck, so who knows.

Thought or comments?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: John Varvatos artisan Pure performance....

John Varvatos fragrances are known for their poor performance, some smell nice but don’t last try applying some to clothing and see if it helps.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo

Artisan Pure, like the rest of JV, has terrible longevity. None at all really. I had always heard that Artisan Pure performed better than the rest of the line, though I could be wrong. I don't own it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I think it has better longevity than other JV scents I have tried. That's not to say it is very long lasting, but I get a good 4-5 hours out of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Got less than average performance when I tied this also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Artisan Pure, like the rest of JV, has terrible longevity. None at all really. I had always heard that Artisan Pure performed better than the rest of the line, though I could be wrong. I don't own it.
    I've tried a few of the JV fragrances not a long time ago - and I don't think that Artisan Pure was that much stronger or had a better longevity than the others.
    But you're right, there was a hype around Artisan Pure where people said it lasted much longer.

I think the JV fragrances are ok for the low prices (around 30 Euros for a 125 ml bottle) - you just get what you pay for.
    I was curious because some guys said, that they are "niche level for designer prices" - yeah there are some niche brands, which aren't higher quality than JV fragrances.
    However all JV fragrances I've tried smelled very "synthetic" and artificial, had an annoying/cloying character and I don't see me wearing any of them. Big bummer is that on the one side, the actual scents don't last a long time but on the other side even when you wash them off, you're left with those typical plasticy smelling fixatives which were used in the base. I don't know why they can't last longer when they do indeed use those ingredients to bump up longevity and projection.

So I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

To me it's one of the most overhyped brands in the fragrance community.

What performance??
    Pity too, some are rather enjoyable.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

The only JV that has good longevity is the oud. Not amazing projection, but good personal enjoyment that lasts all day.
    oh look, I have a signature

For me, the performance wasn't as bad. I even got compliments on it. But I also spray a lot (especially scents like this). Artisan Pure was one of my summer “flings,” so to speak. Every summer I get something light and refreshing like it and finish it in a matter of a month or two. By using it as a body spray LOL and some on your clothes you’ll get better longevity. With the reasonable price and the very good smell, it’s worth it. Next summer it’ll be something else for me.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Basenotes Plus

Typical of the house. I believe it’s done deliberately. Loading up on the fixatives and performance enhancers will probably overwhelm the delicately constructed tops and eat into the profit margins. It’s built a little better than the dirt cheap clone houses but IMO not by much.,
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Yes, poor longevity which is why I skipped over it.
    Currently wearing: Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Freed from BN Institution

Below average performance as I recalled.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Artisan Pure is actually above-average for John Varvatos, but better performance can be had through more sprays. For average fragrances I use 5 sprays per application. Artisan Pure, around 8-10. It lasts the work day for me.

It's a very pleasant scent while not being like the other generic sweet stuff on Sephora's shelves. It took a while to hit discounters unlike most other John Varvatos, probably a testament to its great composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    ok, I picked up a bottle of JV artisan pure at a local discounter at a really good price.

Best I can tell, it lasts beyond a skin scent for maybe an hour.

Is this typical? Is the performance really that bad, or is this a case of olfactory fatigue. I've read somewhere that fragrances that are mostly dominated by a single type of note (and lets face it, this is a blast of citrus on the opening) can be more likely to cause olfactory fatigue.

I haven't really wore it in public yet to see if anyone else can notice it on my without actually burying their nose in my neck, so who knows.

Thought or comments?
    John varvatos makes some great fragrances. But honestly it is pointless when it doesn't last even for a hour. Re-application is never fun when you are running through your work in day to day life.

I get about 5+ hours with it, which is good enough for me considering what a great scent it is. But I usually just use one spray to the chest, maybe two.

Basenotes Junkie

I had 3-4 hours with it as far as I remember

Pure is one of the better-performing JV fragrances for me. I can get a solid 5+ hours out of it. The other ones I own? 2-3 hours, tops.

I get around 4-5 hours, which is not terrible by any means but not mind blowing fantastic either. Average. For the price I'd say it's more than adequate, I've had more expensive fragrances, niche and designer, that performed much worse.