Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Did Musc Ravageur change?

I just bought a 100ml bottle of Musc Ravageur from Liberty London, only to come home and discover this is nothing, nothing like the scent I know well. This (2005-2010) use to be one overpowering amazing scent and I just assumed it would be the same. It used to really pack a punch and now it's just barely there.

The bottle has no expiry date on the bottle, which at one point Malle was doing. Could it be defective, or did something change I don't know about? It's like it has been dramatically, dramatically watered down.

Default Re: Did Musc Ravageur change?

well now having read a bit I see it was reformulated, but I'm still worried I get a stale bottle or something? Does anyone know how I could tell the date? there's no expiry on the bottom or anything.

It's like MR is there, barely, with 3-4 sprays (vs 1 in the past) and it's skipped right to the dry down and the old slap across the face, knockout punch opening is literally just gone. completely gone. I am sad.

I find MR bottles to drastically change in smell from the first time they are used- they get MUCH louder. I would wait a bit and let it "mature" before giving up on it.
    Don't expect the clove opening of the older version though - it has been toned down a bit.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

I have the original release although I have tried what's out there now which I also like .
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks. I will take your advice. Do you know if anything has happened to either Noir Epices or Une Rose? My Une Rose has to be 10 years old and is still great, but I'll be shattered if that (or Noir Epices) has been toned down too.

a quarter million, tops

Newer version toned down the clove and all but dropped the civet. Since those are unpopular notes many times it doesnt seem to have bothered the masses. Two of my favorite notes, so it would bother me.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Freed from BN Institution

I thought the earlier (2009) and recent (2013) juice were pretty linear. The 2009 was a bit more potent but the overall scent was the same compared to the 2013.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I think I had the 2013 version but the one I have now (2018 or 2019) is totally toned down.

It's a shame as it was one of my favourite scents for the cold seasons. I've heard others say it will mature over time but only time will tell and I haven't owned this bottle that long...

Yes it’s basically just a subtle skin scent now. It could be called Tonka Ambre or something, and be sold at The Gap. It’s a shame. I can’t imagine the creator could be happy but I guess it will now sell loads and also easy to go through a bottle fast, and people would have to buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by john71 View Post
    Yes itís basically just a subtle skin scent now. It could be called Tonka Ambre or something, and be sold at The Gap. Itís a shame. I canít imagine the creator could be happy but I guess it will now sell loads and also easy to go through a bottle fast, and people would have to buy another one.
    I have a limited edition bottle of MR from this time in 2018. The term "subtle skin scent" would never come to mind. I don't know if it is watered down from the original release but if it were much stronger it would become unwearable in most settings. On the Un Rose side I bought a 50 ml (this spring) instead of 100. It is so potent I can't envision using 50 ml in my lifetime. Did you check a tester at Liberty London and if you did how did it perform? What codes are on your bottle & box? They may provide clues as to when it was made based on other posters bottles...
    Currently wearing: Ore by Slumberhouse

a 'subtle skin scent' ?????

wtf has Estee Lauder done?

Base of the bottle (100ml) says "A39" then underneath it "19091". No dates or anything.

It has held up, I can still smell it since this morning, and it is definately the dry down of MR, is just it's pretty much the same place where it started, literally. 2 full sprays this morning, not really detectable at any point unless I really put my nose in my shirt. Definitely not detectable by anyone at the office

Base of the bottle (100ml) says "A39" then underneath it "19091". No dates or anything.

It has held up, I can still smell it since this morning, and it is definately the dry down of MR, is just it's pretty much the same place where it started, literally. 2 full sprays this morning, not really detectable at any point unless I really put my nose in my shirt. Definitely not detectable by anyone at the office
    Based on five bottles from my collection the 19091 is suggestive of a recent (2019) batch. Why? Three of my bottles have labels only used later in 2018 and the etched codes start 18###. Two of my bottles were released just this summer and the codes start 19###. The rest of the collection is older with codes that vary in format and length leaving no direction to speculate. If the pattern is consistent for others maybe we can now determine the year of bottling for recent FM products. Hopefully others will share.
    Currently wearing: Ore by Slumberhouse

I would say that post 2010, Musc Ravageur is still good, but like someone else mentioned the clove opening has been tamed. It is still a very cosy and comforting fragrance though

Mine is the tamed version. Turns into a skin scent after a while and the base has a sort of a “piss smell”.
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Mine is the tamed version. Turns into a skin scent after a while and the base has a sort of a ďpiss smellĒ.
    So I'm just now getting into this fragrance and have been wearing it the past couple of nights at bedtime. This is also how I would describe my decant. It definitely is not a powerhouse or spillage monster by any means and I think it's lighter than my current night time favorite Egoiste. I wish I knew it in its hay day, extra clove and musk, wow must have been something special. I'll attempt to seek out a pre 2010 decant to have for my collection. Not sure if I will buy a full bottle of the 2019 formula as the price is high for what it is.

Sent on mobile - sorry for errors.

To my nose, most of the Malles have been watered down and reformulated. I treasure my older bottles. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to buy some backups.

Basenotes Plus

I remember years ago trying Musc Ravageur & being so intrigued by how unique,different,& edgy it smelled.

Fast forward to a year or two ago & I was so surprised how “toned down” & a little more “gourmand” it smelled.

I definitely prefer the original & at least to my nose it is reformulated!
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique díOrient
    2.LíHeure Perdue
    3.Le Monarque II/Argentium Halo De Lune/Sultanate Of Oman
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Torc
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL
    6.LíHeure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard/#laislablanca
    7.Al-Khatt/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Great Britain
    10.Dhajala/Cuir Intense/Malesia
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    To my nose, most of the Malles have been watered down and reformulated. I treasure my older bottles. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to buy some backups.
    Are the caps of your bottles different? I read the older caps are different.
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Which ones do you own in earlier formulations?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Come on! Any fragrance that's at least ten years old has undoubtedly been reformulated at least once.

Let's not kid ourselves here.

well now having read a bit I see it was reformulated, but I'm still worried I get a stale bottle or something? Does anyone know how I could tell the date? there's no expiry on the bottom or anything.

It's like MR is there, barely, with 3-4 sprays (vs 1 in the past) and it's skipped right to the dry down and the old slap across the face, knockout punch opening is literally just gone. completely gone. I am sad.
    John, always trust your nose. If it doesn't smell right, take it back.

When I was a newbie, I was advised to wait for the bottle to age. That's not always true.

If the bottle is slightly fresher, fine. If it smells significantly different, something's amiss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Come on! Any fragrance that's at least ten years old has undoubtedly been reformulated at least once.

Do you have proof of this claim?

I don't think you've smelled every fragrance that's 10+ years old now, and 10 years ago to make this assumption.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Do you have proof of this claim?

I don't think you've smelled every fragrance that's 10+ years old now, and 10 years ago to make this assumption.
    I sincerely hope you're not being serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

Probably twice.

Basenotes Plus

Maybe it's time for another IFRA thread...

I just bought a 100ml bottle of Musc Ravageur from Liberty London, only to come home and discover this is nothing, nothing like the scent I know well. This (2005-2010) use to be one overpowering amazing scent and I just assumed it would be the same. It used to really pack a punch and now it's just barely there.

The bottle has no expiry date on the bottle, which at one point Malle was doing. Could it be defective, or did something change I don't know about? It's like it has been dramatically, dramatically watered down.
    I donít understand why you are surprised. Production has long been wrong. I have come across this more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    lpp! Good to see you again!
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Quote Originally Posted by JesseSoucy View Post
    I don’t understand why you are surprised. Production has long been wrong. I have come across this more than once.
    The guy explained that he bought a bottle recently and was shocked with what he smelled. What is so hard to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Wowzers! Where have you been???