Code of Conduct
o

Default Mysore Sandalwood

I love this note. Those fragrances I've smelled with *real* Mysore sandalwood are absolutely magical. I love sandalwood as a note in perfumery in general but that Mysore stuff is truly amazing. I was not able to find much information about fragrances that contain this, or about when it was restricted, so I decided to start a thread to garner more info.

When was this restricted from use in fragrance?

Which fragrances contain real Mysore sandalwood? I own and adore vintage Egoiste and vintage Bois du Portugal, and I believe the Mysore sandalwood is what makes the vintage versions of those two scents so much better than the current stuff.

Have been told to check out Crabtree & Evelyn's Mysore Sandalwood but I almost choked on my Cheerios when I saw prices for it. Vintage Bois des Iles and Guerlain Samsara have it I believe, but both of those fragrances are marketed as womens scents? Xerjoff Richwood is the only "current" fragrance I have found that claims to have it, but its also super expensive and the dominant patchouli note scares me a little bit.. Anything else I should be checking out? Can I pull off Bois des Iles??

Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Mysore Sandalwood

It's not 'restricted' it just got overharvested and ran out.

If you like vintage Egoiste I would be surprised that you didn't like Bois des Iles, especially the Parfum. But I enjoyed the vintage EdC and the EdP.

I didn't like Richwood at all. Doesn't smell very Mysore-sandalwood prominent at all.

L'Arbre by IUNX has real Mysore sandalwood. I love it & highly recommend it.

I also enjoy many of the Areej le Dore and Bortnikoff Perfumes (although most of them are disco'd and/or sold out) - a handful of them have real Mysore sandalwood.

If you can find Bois de Santal by Creed (disco'd) buy it immediately. It's fantastic.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's not 'restricted' it just got overharvested and ran out.
    As I understand it, inclusion of Mysore sandalwood in fragrances isn't restricted the way, say, oak moss is, but the Indian government restricts the harvesting and export of Mysore sandalwood, which has significantly reduced the amount on the legitimate market and shifted the majority of exports to the black market. Indian law discourages the private growth of red sandalwood trees by forbidding the private sale of sandalwood, instead allowing direct sale only to the state which then resells (at a substantial profit) to the foreign market. While the intent of the law is to prevent over-harvesting, the result is that the supply is under-replenished.
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

As mikeperez was saying, Mysore sandalwood is not IFRA restricted. Not that IFRA wouldn't love to ban it, but simply, it's unavailable, having been overharvested, and it has been so for a long time. I think that the substitution process started at least in the 90s, perhaps earlier, and I don't think that anything produced this century has any.

I think current Bois des Isles (especially parfum) is probably as close as you can get to real sandalwood. Not that it is cheap, especially in parfum.

If you like vintage Egoiste I would be surprised that you didn't like Bois des Iles, especially the Parfum. But I enjoyed the vintage EdC and the EdP.
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I loved Bois des Iles when I smelled it (on someone else). So much so that I immediately began looking for it to buy for myself. But I didn't realize that there were multiple versions of it, and he didn't specify which one he was wearing. So as I was looking into it more, I found that the EdT and EdP were both marketed "for women" and only the Parfum version was labeled as unisex. So I'm guessing what I smelled was the Parfum version.

Do any guys here wear the EdT or EdP version? I'm definitely looking for the Parfum but I'm curious about the others too. Also, which Areej frags have Mysore sandalwood?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Santal De Mysore from the old discontinued Montale Confidential Collection is one I enjoy.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As mikeperez was saying, Mysore sandalwood is not IFRA restricted. Not that IFRA wouldn't love to ban it, but simply, it's unavailable, having been overharvested, and it has been so for a long time. I think that the substitution process started at least in the 90s, perhaps earlier, and I don't think that anything produced this century has any.

I think current Bois des Isles (especially parfum) is probably as close as you can get to real sandalwood. Not that it is cheap, especially in parfum.
    IFRA would love to ban anything without a patent held by it's consortium of suppliers.
    oh look, I have a signature

Re: Bois des iles, I don' think marketing matters-and I didn't know that the different concentration are marketed differently.
    Parfum is more expensive and people rarely buy it, so I think it more likely that your friend was wearing the edt or edp. The edp substituted the edt, so that's what is available now. The parfum is more (intense, rich) but it's not too distant from the lower concentrations.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Areej Le Dore uses it in Baikal Gris and Koh-I-Noor

Freed from BN Institution

If you could find a sample of it Creed Bois de Santal would be an excellent choice for a Mysore sandalwood experience.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Angélique Encens by Creed

You can definitely wear Bois des Illes, I'd look for the EDT version if you can still find it. If you're after Mysore sandalwood oil, you can source some from Tony Bolton, JK from Rising Phoenix, and Tyson Lee Mortensen. Most of these guys you can find on Etsy.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

If you can find Bois de Santal by Creed (disco'd) buy it immediately. It's fantastic.
    Here 'tis.....

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/449...rlain-and-MORE

Lots of others, too. Besides Bois de Santal, Creed Santal Imperial is another very nice and creamy mysore sandalwood scent that is also very hard to find.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Bois des Illes EDT and EDP are both unisex, nothing screaming girly about it.

Even Samsara could easily be worn by a man.

I wear quite a few classed as male and even on here I have read some I own being ultra male. I have never ever had anyone comment on smelling butch etc. LOL
    DONNA

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Here 'tis.....

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/449...rlain-and-MORE

Lots of others, too. Besides Bois de Santal, Creed Santal Imperial is another very nice and creamy mysore sandalwood scent that is also very hard to find.
    $1,600 for a flacon of Bois de Santal.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Angélique Encens by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Here’s my usual cut-and-paste answer to similar threads:
    SAMPLE THE REAL THING FIRST and then see which sandalwood fragrances stand up to the test.

Preferably aged Mysore > 10 yrs. From reputable sources, of course.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Anything else I should be checking out? Can I pull off Bois des Iles??
    Villoresi's Sandalo is definitely worth a sniff.

The prices for C&E's vintage sandalwood scent weren't that bad when I last checked but I suppose these things fluctuate all the time. Do a quick search for Elizabeth Arden's Sandalwood cologne as well. I think it's discontinued now but there may be some bottle around of this. It's the nearest you'll get to the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Areej Le Dore uses it in Baikal Gris and Koh-I-Noor
    Also in Malik Al Taif.
    Dusita Oud Infini uses it as well.

Personally, I doubt whether any Mysore is used now -- it's just too expensive, especially if you can use so many synth versions.

I didn't find Creeds' Santal Imperial very 'creamy' -- it was rather harsh to my nose, but I did like it

Floris used to have a fragrance called just 'Sandalwood' which contained Mysore and was totally lush -- good luck with finding a bottle now though

Always be smelling

OP, mikeperez23 is the resident SW expert here so follow his advice

Good aged mysore SW is anywhere from $20-$200/ml while a fragrance juice is at $5-$10/100ml. No way you are getting real mysore in any of the designers or niches.
    The artisans do use them so you are better of trying their stuff.
    I would echo what others have said, get the real deal and swipe on skin.
    A couple of places tried and tested sellers for inexpensive and good SW.:
    1)Enfleurage - https://www.enfleurage.com/search.ph...alwood&Search=
    2) Rising Phoenix - https://www.etsy.com/shop/RisingPhoe...on_id=20843796

Rising Phoenix is more pricey and better stuff.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Bellodgia by Caron

I’ll echo the Rising Phoenix D&B Mysore is my favorite Mysore sandalwood —- I like it better than Ensar’s and better than Feel Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Here’s my usual cut-and-paste answer to similar threads:
    SAMPLE THE REAL THING FIRST and then see which sandalwood fragrances stand up to the test.

Preferably aged Mysore > 10 yrs. From reputable sources, of course.
    100%
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    OP, mikeperez23 is the resident SW expert here so follow his advice ;
    ((blushing))
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    $1,600 for a flacon of Bois de Santal.
    "Excuse me, sir, but would you mind opening your unbelievably rare, possibly last unopened flaccon of Bois de Santal in the world, to decant me a 2ml sample?? I can't afford to buy the bottle if I do like it, but I would SO like to try it."

Thanks for all the replies so far, tons of helpful information and suggestions which I really appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    The prices for C&E's vintage sandalwood scent weren't that bad when I last checked but I suppose these things fluctuate all the time.
    3 bottles on ebay; $585, $600, and $800

Wowzers!!!

Basenotes Plus

I have gone through 3 bottles. All of them I obtained below $100. But maybe I was lucky. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay. Good luck.

It's fantastic juice. But very old-school. A bit floral, but a great scent.

-- Eckhart Tolle

rising mysore by dixit and zak available on aggarwoodassam's etsy store. a bottle is waiting for me at the post office can't wait to grab it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Robin oud View Post
    rising mysore by dixit and zak available on aggarwoodassam's etsy store. a bottle is waiting for me at the post office can't wait to grab it
    I've never heard of that line

-- Eckhart Tolle