Code of Conduct
o

Angry Disappointed with Performance of Encre Noire a l'Extreme

It was a nicely blended scent, but the performance was abysmal. After an hour and a half, it turned into a skin scent and was barely noticeable on skin. I read reviews saying this was a toned down incense version of the original, but I didn't expect the longevity and projection to be this bad.

Should I try the original Encre Noire? I'm not too sure after reading reviews that it has been reformulated and the performance is similar to the Extreme version. The vetiver accord is nice in Extreme, but I wish it were a little more prominent. I'd like to know what you guys think of the performance of the original (newest batches) and if it's worth the purchase at $25.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Disappointed with Performance of Encre Noire a l'Extreme

I’ve heard and read it wasn’t a strong performer, original EN still is nice and ENS is also nice. I’d go with the original EN since it’s the most similar to ENE and performs well.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo

Basenotes Plus

That's odd. I get a solid 8 hours out of Encre Noir a L'Extreme. And I quite like it as a smokey vetiver, which surprised me because I absolutely hate original Encre Noir.

Never lasted on me either, sold my bottle. I'd like to give it another try again.
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa

It lasts for hours on me. One of my all-time favourites.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I wore it just a few days ago. I don't wear it on my skin, but it lasted quite well for 12+ hours (until I changed). I would be more apt to call it a beast than a weak performer.

Guessing olfactory fatigue?
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Encre Noire and its flankers are notorious for causing nose-blindness, so keep that in mind.

I find that this one performs pretty well.

Not super crazy strong beyond a few hours, but I smell through most day. I'm not so concerned about projection beyond a few feet of me with this stuff... I consider it a more personal scent. My expectations were met.. along the lines of a $20 cologne.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Personally get very good performance with Encre Noire a l'Extreme
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I get good performance from it - nothing special, but standard 6-8 hours. The Sport flanker has the best performance IMO, but it's very different from the other two. The original is about the same performance-wise as the Extreme. EN is a pretty simple blend with a heavy reliance on aromachemicals, so I don't think batch variation should be much of an issue, although I can't speak to it. But that can also contribute to the above mentioned olfactory fatigue from the large amount of Iso E Super.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

I get about 10-12 hours with La Extreme, but I find the original EN projects more. I enjoy both, but I prefer the original a tad more. ENS is also great with excellent longevity and a less moody vibe.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Smell Good, Feel Good

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I wore it just a few days ago. I don't wear it on my skin, but it lasted quite well for 12+ hours (until I changed). I would be more apt to call it a beast than a weak performer.

Guessing olfactory fatigue?
    Wearing it as I write this, olfactory fatigue most likely. It's a strong scent which definitely sets olfactory fatigue in faster than "normal" in my experience.
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That's odd. I get a solid 8 hours out of Encre Noir a L'Extreme. And I quite like it as a smokey vetiver, which surprised me because I absolutely hate original Encre Noir.
    I also find it odd. There were a few reviews complaining about the longevity, so I think it might be a batch issue. I tested it on clothing, spraying further away from the nose, spraying on clothing in a different room and returning after a few hours, tested it out in the cold snowy weather, changing the amount of application, dabbing small amounts, and it still doesn't seem to change anything. Judging from batch code, it seems to be bottled in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    Never lasted on me either, sold my bottle. I'd like to give it another try again.
    When did you purchase your bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I get good performance from it - nothing special, but standard 6-8 hours. The Sport flanker has the best performance IMO, but it's very different from the other two. The original is about the same performance-wise as the Extreme. EN is a pretty simple blend with a heavy reliance on aromachemicals, so I don't think batch variation should be much of an issue, although I can't speak to it. But that can also contribute to the above mentioned olfactory fatigue from the large amount of Iso E Super.
    Interesting how the sport flanker has better performance. I feel like I have enough experience now to determine if something is giving me olfactory fatigue. How old is your bottle? Mine is from this year.

Freed from BN Institution

I did get relatively good performance with reasonable longevity
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by FS0C13TY View Post
    Interesting how the sport flanker has better performance. I feel like I have enough experience now to determine if something is giving me olfactory fatigue. How old is your bottle? Mine is from this year.
    Mine is from Sept 2017 according to batch code. I could see there being more variation in Extreme batches, since it has more natural seeming notes (it’s also slightly more expensive than the other two so it’s got a bit more going on generally). The original and sport strike me as more synthetic. There’s some aquatic note (calone?) in the sport flanker that, combined with the ISO E, seems to give it nuclear performance.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

If I want performance and for it to last all day I use Chanel Sycomore which is similar in style, maybe a bit less inky...if that makes sense.

I use Extreme but it doesn't perform well on me and I adjust my expectations.