Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Does you nose know $$$$$$

Gents,
    As I continue my discovery of fragrances in this new hobby. Had a question I wanted to pose to the group.
    I somehow correlate wine collecting to creating a wardrobe of fragrances.
    A good wine collector can usually place a value on a bottle of wine by sampling it, assuming they have developed a palate over time.
    Does the same principal apply to fragrances specifically:

If given a blind test, fragrances you may not have a great deal of familiarity with could you tell price/ value from a wear or two.
    Could you differentiate between a $50.00 fragrance a $200 and a $500 one and accurately price each sample?

Still learning.......
    Currently wearing: Hyde by Hiram Green

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Does you nose know $$$$$$

I can tell when it’s well blended and doesn’t smell very synthetic which to me equals expensive or worth decent money.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo

depends on the fragrance lol. ive smelled $50 fragrances that couldve fooled me as being much higher priced, but also ones that couldve fooled me as being cheapies. same with all price ranges.

I can definitely tell now, but not so much when I first got into fragrances.

A good example is Roja Dove - I know his stuff is overpriced but you can definitely smell the quality of ingredients.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by newatthis66 View Post
    Gents,
    As I continue my discovery of fragrances in this new hobby. Had a question I wanted to pose to the group.
    A good wine collector can usually place a value on a bottle of wine by sampling it, assuming they have developed a palate over time.

If given a blind test, fragrances you may not have a great deal of familiarity with could you tell price/ value from a wear or two.
    Could you differentiate between a $50.00 fragrance a $200 and a $500 one and accurately price each sample?

Still learning.......
    I cannot tell. There are a bunch of niche fragrances that sell for good money that smell to me like worse versions of Guerlain L'Homme Ideal edp which can be had for not much from discounters.

I think over time, as you build up references, you can tell approximately what year something was released, because releases mimic each other in quick succession, using whatever is the latest new ingredient from the manufacturers behind the fragrance brands.

The longer you do this, the more sensitive your nose will be to quality, and the more sensitive you BS detector will be to price-gouging opportunists.

I hope both happen quickly for you.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Still learning.......
    Hit or miss with me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I cannot tell. There are a bunch of niche fragrances that sell for good money that smell to me like worse versions of Guerlain L'Homme Ideal edp which can be had for not much from discounters.

I think over time, as you build up references, you can tell approximately what year something was released, because releases mimic each other in quick succession, using whatever is the latest new ingredient from the manufacturers behind the fragrance brands.
    This 100% true because some niche labels try to fleece you with brand cachet but still use cheap ingredients in the actual perfume. There is such a high margin in most perfumes anyway that outside small artisanal outfits, price correlates to marketing and veblen goods principles more than cost of production.

As for me, I can smell effort, but not so much price.

Something like Shalimar by Guerlain (1925), Roja Dove Danger pour Homme (2011) or Chanel Allure Homme (1999) are super blended with tons of ingredients, and smell like it.
    Something like Nautica Blue (2007), Avon Spicy (1968) or Tom Ford Lavender Extrême (2019) were tossed together on a limited budget with limited development time to meet a goal, and also smell like it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

A friend recently set me a challenge by sending me 10 numbered, unidentified samples to smell and rank for most liked.
    As it happened, the things I liked the least happened to be the cheapest, but they were also scents that just weren't to my taste. The things I liked most happened to be two Serge Lutens, which were NOT the most expensive in that group by a long shot. I surmised that I am able to detect, "cheaper" smelling fragrances, but once you reach a certain point, things do not smell$200 better a bottle to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    This 100% true because some niche labels try to fleece you with brand cachet but still use cheap ingredients in the actual perfume. There is such a high margin in most perfumes anyway that outside small artisanal outfits, price correlates to marketing and veblen goods principles more than cost of production.

I like this phrase. I can ‘smell effort’ in Chypre-Siam. Also Incident Diplomatique, Bois du Portugal and Cosmair Polo.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I like this phrase. I can ‘smell effort’ in Chypre-Siam. Also Incident Diplomatique, Bois du Portugal and Cosmair Polo.
    I also must note that more perfumers =/= more effort. Calvin Klein Euphoria for Men had a whopping FOUR perfumers on it, but smells like they spent more time arguing about what the perfume should be than actually making it. Then of course, there's happy accidents like Dior Fahrenheit.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Hit or miss with me.
    I'm about the same. I wish I can say that I can now, but I honestly cannot consistently.

I can easily smell and distinguish the difference

You would stump me on a blind test every time I'm afraid.

Dependent

Usually niche fragrances have better performance that cheap ones, not always but usually, the scent is not directly related to price as performance is.

Banned

Yes. But it doesn’t take much time to know difference between a Roja scent vs a Lacoste scent.

Freed from BN Institution

From my standpoint some could smell expensive but in reality is in expensive and vice versa
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Basenotes Plus

I can smell quality regardless of price points.

What a fragrance house charges for a bottle is often about market positioning than it is about fragrance artistry and construction. It’s also good to be aware of one’s own preferences and biases when judging a fragrance so you could factor them out.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

No, in fact, quite the opposite-personally speaking, in spite of all fragrance experience so far, my nose must be among the most unreliable radars/detectors of a fragrance price, based on how expensive it may smell.

Though fairly speaking, this may be in part explained that there are quite a few inexpensive, extremely affordable fragrances that smell expensive and the opposite as well, expensive fragrances that might not be bad nor smell cheap yet still leave one guessing about their actual price, not being easily and instantly identifiable as costly and luxurious.
    Currently wearing: Ispahan by Yves Rocher

Basenotes Plus

BTW, wine tasting is the same: you can taste quality, but not price. With most products, if you perceive the quality and know the price, you can then judge value.

I'd like to believe I can always tell quality--it's certainly easier for me now than it was earlier--but who am I kidding? I'm not afraid to admit that my nose surely isn't as refined as I would like for or claim it to be.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I like this phrase.
    Agree with the phrase as well. Who's going to know that what you smell of is worth (whatever) from two metres away? Same way they can't tell you are wearing a 1K Ermenegildo Zegna suit without seeing the label or the receipt.

I certainly can with Sauvage

1. Not much effort involved
    2. Smells like it retails at $2

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    BTW, wine tasting is the same: you can taste quality, but not price. With most products, if you perceive the quality and know the price, you can then judge value.
    Quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I certainly can with Sauvage

1. Not much effort involved
    2. Smells like it retails at $2

Yeah not their finest moment
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942
    Pour Monsieur EdT by Chanel
    Eau Sauvage (vtg) by Christian Dior
    Eucris EdP by GF Trumper
    Polo (Cosmair) by Ralph Lauren

Dry downs are where the differences in quality are noticeable to me. That's not always indicative of price though. Still, my begrudging love of frags like Grand Soir and Aventus are due, in large part, to their beautiful dry downs (to my nose, at least). Cheap and/or poorly made frags are often exposed in the dry down as they are reduced to just a sticky vanilla/ambroxan mess. Some frags smell poorly made to me no matter the hype or price point. The three or four Roja Doves I sampled exemplify this, again, to my nose. Guerlain, on the other hand, often smells refined at drugstore prices.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

No. After 30+ years I think I can tell quality scents from poor scents. But can't tell the brain behind them writing the price label.

Sound Scents

I think I can tell composition results and ingredient quality well enough, but as price has little correlation with those, I doubt I can predict price well at all.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Basenotes Plus

Just by ingredient quality alone to my nose? Probably not, no.

You may have a better shot if you identify certain styles or something that are more common in one over the other.

Watch the interview video with 4160 Tuesdays perfumer Sarah McCartney (wow, didn't know she used to be the brand director of Lush) - it's like 53 minutes long on YouTube. She got the guys to smell real vs synthetic and they were surprised. A lot of illusion in perfumery.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Always be smelling

Gents,

Still learning.......
    Not a wine guy so don't know what is correlation between quality and price in wine world, but in fragrances there is not much these days. Most niches(barring artisanal) are shite but sell for 100s of dollars.
    People can tell quality based on smell but not price.
    And then again quality is subjective. Look at Sauvage thread for example
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Bellodgia by Caron